Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2021 4:34:03 PM EDT
I know not everyone is a clone guy.  But of the two which did you guys end up liking more?  And why?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Greatly enjoy both but voted urgi for weight savings and midlength gas.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Block 2 all the way. We were transitiong over to the block 2 right before I got out of the army. I still live the block 1 and that's my next build. I remember switching over from the m16 to the main the 90s.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve never had a URGI, but I have had a couple Block II clones, I ended up selling both because they were pigs.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#4]
If we are talking about general use, the URGI is slightly more practical imo due to weight & mlok etc... but the block 2 just has more cool factor.

If I had to choose, it would be the block 2. The RIS2 inspires a bit more confidence if mounting a LAM.

I’ve owned both (definitely non-clone setup), now I own a variation of 11.5 with Mk16 rail.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Block2. The weight savings in the urgi equate to easier to damage.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Had both,
Block II was a pig in comparison to the URGI.
Have to say that I thought the Block II was sexier imho.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Have both.  Use the URGI upper on my duty rifle for weight savings (1lb 5oz in my setups).  Block II is so cool though.

8 lbs w/o magnifier

9lbs 5oz

Edit - weight is with both having a Slingster.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have both.  Use the URGI upper on my duty rifle for weight savings (1lb 5oz in my setups).  Block II is so cool though.

8 lbs w/o magnifier
https://i.imgur.com/wWVB22w.jpg

9lbs 5oz
https://i.imgur.com/jisTlff.jpg
View Quote

Leo or mil?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#9]
LEO
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s interesting people saying “weight savings” when a risII is 2.8 ounces heavier than a mk16 geissele rail, but I guess “ounces equals pounds.”

I went with the URGI just cause I didn’t need 4 feet of picatinny rail that I didn’t use and the mlok feels better in the hand to me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
URGI because I wanted to try out something new.

Also because I like mid length gas system.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Both
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Can’t mount this on a URGI.

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm still pic rail master race so I voted for block 2.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#15]
The M4 peaked at block II. Change my mind.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It’s interesting people saying “weight savings” when a risII is 2.8 ounces heavier than a mk16 geissele rail, but I guess “ounces equals pounds.”

I went with the URGI just cause I didn’t need 4 feet of picatinny rail that I didn’t use and the mlok feels better in the hand to me.
View Quote

Add another 4oz for the barrel and to hell with that.

URGI all the way.

I lived with a Block II back when they were the latest and greatest.  Won’t be going back.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

URGI all the way.

I lived with a Block II back when they were the latest and greatest.  Won’t be going back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

URGI all the way.

Apples to oranges if one has a heavy barrel and the other doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Personally I think the Block 1 is superior. You can mount a grenade launcher, and still use it as traditional infantry man by mounting a bayonet. And you can mount all the stuff you need... an optic, buis, and light.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#19]
If you pay with your money, Block 2.  Built like a tank.  URGI isn’t bad, really, but the rails damage a lot easier.  When Uncle Sam is paying, that doesn’t matter as much.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Get both.

If I had to pick one or the other, it would be the Block II. Sturdier, I prefer the color, removable lower rail, compatible with the M203 and M320, option for a FSB, not that much heavier, not that much bigger.

I do like the URG-I though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#21]
A Block II with a LPVO is pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#22]
block ii is so 2013....

on 14.5" urgi with midlength gas system is the way to go. On shorties, i like the risii rail and carbine gas system.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 2:47:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm an old fart.  Started in Group with a XM16E1, M1911A1 and XM21 in early 80s.  Now fix and rebuild the guns for SOCOM.  Both work but particle to the Blk II, just because more experience with it and I've seen it take lots of abuse.  URG-I got fielded just before the cease fire in Astan.

CD
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 2:59:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm an old fart.  Started in Group with a XM16E1, M1911A1 and XM21 in early 80s.  Now fix and rebuild the guns for SOCOM.  Both work but particle to the Blk II, just because more experience with it and I've seen it take lots of abuse.  URG-I got fielded just before the cease fire in Astan.

CD
View Quote

Cease fire?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 3:17:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Cease fire?
View Quote

Yeap, cease fire called in 2020, no offensive actions by us.  Doesn't matter now as we're pulling out.

CD
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Both
View Quote

Yes the real answer is both as well as a block 1. We can even throw in a m16a1, m16a2, m16a4, mk18 mod 0 and mod1, and mk12mod 0 and mod 1. We should collect them all. That is my goal one day.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Block 2 gets my vote buy have zero time with a URGi. I’m almost done with my FSP and Low pro Block 2 builds after that I will get a URGI but first things first.

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I know not everyone is a clone guy.  But of the two which did you guys end up liking more?  And why?
View Quote

Clone guns are stupid but URGI. Gas system is better and so is the handguard. Not having an FSB saves weight on top of the MLOK savings so its significantly lighter and better balanced. MLOK rail is more comfortable in the hands. All this talk of being able to mount GLs is stupid for anyone that doesn't have a launcher which is probably most people. Same with the LAM, many don't even have them and that whole thing was way overblown in my opinion so while RIS II may be sturdier, is it worth the trade off? If you're going to beat the shit out of it but not shoot much or walk real far, sure, RIS II with FSB. Otherwise, the weight balance and savings will be appreciated by anyone. And as I mentioned, middy>carbine. Anybody that prefers otherwise is just resistant to evolution, like how a bunch of boomers still claim the 1911 is a better all around pistol than a G19.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Clone guns are stupid but URGI. Gas system is better and so is the handguard. Not having an FSB saves weight on top of the MLOK savings so its significantly lighter and better balanced. MLOK rail is more comfortable in the hands. All this talk of being able to mount GLs is stupid for anyone that doesn't have a launcher which is probably most people. Same with the LAM, many don't even have them and that whole thing was way overblown in my opinion so while RIS II may be sturdier, is it worth the trade off? If you're going to beat the shit out of it but not shoot much or walk real far, sure, RIS II with FSB. Otherwise, the weight balance and savings will be appreciated by anyone. And as I mentioned, middy>carbine. Anybody that prefers otherwise is just resistant to evolution, like how a bunch of boomers still claim the 1911 is a better all around pistol than a G19.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please quantify significant.

The MK16 is 3.1 oz lighter but nearly an inch longer than the M4A1 RIS II.

ETA: Each rail section added to the MK16 is an additional 1.0 oz.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was also factoring barrel weight, but I suppose my assumption was purely based on a socom barrel haha.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Was also factoring barrel weight, but I suppose my assumption was purely based on a socom barrel haha.
View Quote

URG has both Govt profile and SOCOM.  I've always prefered the Gov't profile.  I've rebarreled about 200 URGs with Govt Profile and gave the operator the choice if I had both barrels in stock.

CD
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You just did quantify it… I forgot about it being longer, that’s another win. I also don’t know many people are attaching pic rail sections to MLOK rails at this point.

And don’t forget the FSB if that’s part of the BLK II. Definitely going to be heavier than a LPGB.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You just did quantify it… I forgot about it being longer, that’s another win. I also don’t know many people are attaching pic rail sections to MLOK rails at this point.

And don’t forget the FSB if that’s part of the BLK II. Definitely going to be heavier than a LPGB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being longer also pushes the center of mass forward. You were saying it had significantly better balance as well...

And no, the "Block II" doesn't necessarily have a FSB.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Being longer also pushes the center of mass forward. You were saying it had significantly better balance as well...

And no, the "Block II" doesn't necessarily have a FSB.
View Quote

Sure, but there's almost a quarter pound less weight in front of the receiver so it still balances better overall. Plus you get the benefit of more barrel protection from barricades, mounting space, slightly better control since you can grip further out towards the muzzle, and less surface area to get burnt by.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sure, but there's almost a quarter pound less weight in front of the receiver so it still balances better overall. Plus you get the benefit of more barrel protection from barricades, mounting space, slightly better control since you can grip further out towards the muzzle, and less surface area to get burnt by.
View Quote

and the heat is going to radiant closer to the hand.  Always trade offs and up to the user to choose his bang stick.  Unless of course its issued to you.

CD
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I voted URG-I. I’ve been running a 14.5 (not always mid-length) with a JP/Troy/now Geissele  non-railed FF for the last 12 years.

Kyle Lamb had this figured out nearly 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

and the heat is going to radiant closer to the hand.  Always trade offs and up to the user to choose his bang stick.  Unless of course its issued to you.

CD
View Quote

True, though even the minimal BCM covers seem to be a significant help with that and personally I put magpul rail ladders on any quad including my MK18 so either need a cover IMO. Plus most guys going through SFAUC still wear gloves.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

URG has both Govt profile and SOCOM.  I've always prefered the Gov't profile.  I've rebarreled about 200 URGs with Govt Profile and gave the operator the choice if I had both barrels in stock.

CD
View Quote

@Combat_Diver, why is your preference for the government? Weight? I did the SOCOM hoping to squeeze more accuracy, I’m still not sold that the weight gain was worth it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

URGI all day long. Had 3-4 Block II's; but never warmed up to them. Just felt clunky.

Still have my 1.5, though. That's not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Someone could always build a block 2 with a centurion arms 14.5 mid gas FN chf 2x chrome barrel.

Clone correct? Nah.

Best of both worlds? Yup.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I have both.

The URGI feels good, but the Block 2 just seems stronger, without the small Allen screws for alignment, although those are helped by the small alignment tabs above them.

The Block 2 has a mounting plate with 6 steel bolts.

The Pic rail seems stronger than M-Lok, but M-Lok seems strong enough and tested better than Keymod.

I'm selling the URGI and the Block 2, both with 14.5" barrels and am building a new Block 2 with a 16" barrel, because I don't have any barrels over 14.5" right now and ran them as pistols, I want one that at least qualifies as an unrestricted rifle.

I sold a URGI with a 10.3" barrel and have an MK16 with a 11.5" barrel and an MK18 RIS II with a 10.3" barrel.

The 11.5" barrel MK16 has more M-Lok slots than the 10.3" URGI and feels really good.

It has the large top tab keyed to the Geissele receiver, without any set screws.

I had Daniel Defense and Colt barrels in the URGI and the Block 2, but the new Block 2 will have an FN CHF barrel.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@Combat_Diver, why is your preference for the government? Weight? I did the SOCOM hoping to squeeze more accuracy, I’m still not sold that the weight gain was worth it.
View Quote

Yes weight.  SOCOM was designed to prevent cook offs. Still happens but after a few more mag dumps.   I’ll go lighter weight

CD
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Love both of mine, but the URGI is my favorite

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#45]

My poor mans URGI.. all day.

.Gov profile and Mid length gas system..
BCM MLOK rail
Switch from red dot to LPVO

reliable as hell, accurate ...not a heavy weight pig...
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have both.

The URGI feels good, but the Block 2 just seems stronger, without the small Allen screws for alignment, although those are helped by the small alignment tabs above them.

The Block 2 has a mounting plate with 6 steel bolts.

The Pic rail seems stronger than M-Lok, but M-Lok seems strong enough and tested better than Keymod.

I'm selling the URGI and the Block 2, both with 14.5" barrels and am building a new Block 2 with a 16" barrel, because I don't have any barrels over 14.5" right now and ran them as pistols, I want one that at least qualifies as an unrestricted rifle.

I sold a URGI with a 10.3" barrel and have an MK16 with a 11.5" barrel and an MK18 RIS II with a 10.3" barrel.

The 11.5" barrel MK16 has more M-Lok slots than the 10.3" URGI and feels really good.

It has the large top tab keyed to the Geissele receiver, without any set screws.

I had Daniel Defense and Colt barrels in the URGI and the Block 2, but the new Block 2 will have an FN CHF barrel.
View Quote

Your 11.5" MK16 URG is a Super Duty URG.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Someone could always build a block 2 with a centurion arms 14.5 mid gas FN chf 2x chrome barrel.

Clone correct? Nah.

Best of both worlds? Yup.
View Quote

CHF barrel is probably considered by many to be a pro for the URG-I but like you said, nothing is stopping a civilian from putting a DD or FN barrel in their "Block II".
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

CHF barrel is probably considered by many to be a pro for the URG-I but like you said, nothing is stopping a civilian from putting a DD or FN barrel in their "Block II".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, whatever it's called.

Same size as the MK16, without the tiny set screws.

On Geissele's website it calls the rail an MK16 rail.

https://geissele.com/super-duty-complete-upper.html

Included is a brand new, 10.5” Super Modular Rail MK16 that mates to the upper via a center aligning tab removing any chance of rail rotation. This rail is a variant of the 13.5” SMR MK16, currently fielded by USASOC and renowned by operators for their performance and comfort.

It is kind of Geissele's answer to monolith uppers maybe.

I hava a 10" Federal MK4 too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know.

Because that's exactly what I did.

I've always preferred full pic rails and with the negligible weight weight savings of the URGI rail along with its lack of durability regarding moderate abuse, I chose what I considered the best parts of each version and created what I consider the best option.

There's a reason I don't post pics of my "clones" in the clone threads. Because I build to my idea of best utility in my "clones" and don't particularly feel like putting up with the screeching and REEEEE-ing!!!! from the true believers. Even my MK18 Mod1 uses a centurion CHF barrel, hence no love in the clone threads.

Sure, on the outside they look like perfect clones, but they are not.  After all the personal accessories, furniture, sights and whatnot that I saw on various guns in Afghanistan, I decided that there really is no true "clone correct" other than the basic gun minus swapable furniture and accessories.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#50]
You need one of each - they're both equally awesome:

10.3" Block II
14.5" URG-I
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top