User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Magpul TMAG (Page 5 of 5)
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 7:41:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#1]
Oh wow. Couldn’t find anything about magazines but according to Dan at Haga Defense, Magpul does outsource on stocks.

ETA: Says it was for the ACR stocks. Still surprising.
Attachment Attached File

Possibly unrelated but interesting note, the New Yorkers that own Magpul also own AMF Bowling. They are also a front runner in polymer technologies with their bowling ball and bowling pin production. Wonder when we can get a Magpul bowling ball.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't do anything crazy today, but I shot a couple hundred rounds through my tmags. No issues. They worked like normal pmags.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:12:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Oh wow. Couldn’t find anything about magazines but according to Dan at Haga Defense, Magpul does outsource on stocks.

ETA: Says it was for the ACR stocks. Still surprising.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3728_jpeg-3326089.JPG

Possibly unrelated but interesting note, the New Yorkers that own Magpul also own AMF Bowling. They are also a front runner in polymer technologies with their bowling ball and bowling pin production. Wonder when we can get a Magpul bowling ball.
View Quote

I'm sure they outsource certain stuff, but I want to know if he's saying they outsource their flagship product: magazines. And if what he says is true, what companies make them. I'm finding it hard to believe that Magpul doesn't manufacture their magazines. I'm sure that would of come to light years ago if true.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:

I'm sure they outsource certain stuff, but I want to know if he's saying they outsource their flagship product: magazines. And if what he says is true, what companies make them. I'm finding it hard to believe that Magpul doesn't manufacture their magazines. I'm sure that would of come to light years ago if true.
View Quote

He didn’t get into specifics, obviously they are outsourcing things like screws, pins, and detents but he intimated their polymer is outsourced as well. We were casually talking shop. My guess is that it’s assembled and packaged in their facility. Their direct shipments we get are shipped from Cheyenne.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

What the fuck?? Chickenshit move Magpul.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JDatTOA:

Negative.

https://i.ibb.co/y8Krx4b/IMG-1389.jpg

What the fuck?? Chickenshit move Magpul.

I was actually content with Magpul not including the covers anymore since I don't use them. A ton of mine are in a landfill.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
I like magpul but I've had to toss a few out due to wear/aging. Steel feed lips would have been nice.

Haven't had to toss out any aluminum, steel or Lancer mags yet.

But the options are cool.
View Quote

When did Lancer introduce steel lips?

Handy link to Lancer steel lip poly mag
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SteveOak:

View All Quotes
I like magpul but I've had to toss a few out due to wear/aging. Steel feed lips would have been nice.

The original Lancers had metal feed lips.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By beavo451:

View All Quotes

Only on the rearmost portion of the feed lips. I still have some of the originals. A few of mine broke, so the change to full metal lips was a welcome modification.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 14BoltFF:

Only on the rearmost portion of the feed lips. I still have some of the originals. A few of mine broke, so the change to full metal lips was a welcome modification.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 14BoltFF:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Circa '08.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By naes:
I got a few delivered today.
I'm wondering if the color is batch specific.  

I read one person say how they were surprised how green they were and another call them smoky green.  

The ones I got are more smokey gray with a tiny hue of green.  

I'm also in the surprised camp finding out in this thread that they stopped including the covers last year.  I guess the good news on that is I guess I haven't bought any mags that I already didn't need this year until these Tmags.
View Quote

The only covers I've ever gotten with PMags were from some I bought second hand that were included. I had no idea they were ever included.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Fingers crossed on Magpul making some TMAG-20’s 🙏🏻
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By runguns:
Fingers crossed on Magpul making some TMAG-20’s 🙏🏻
View Quote

100% this.
I have a ton of 30 round AR mags but I always prefer shooting with 20s.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:
Saw this pic on reddit:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375298/reddit-3328306.jpg

View Quote

WTAF?
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

WTAF?
View Quote

Thats how flimsy they are.
Take your spring, follower and bottom plate off so its just the shell and squeeze it together.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:

Thats how flimsy they are.
Take your spring, follower and bottom plate off so its just the shell and squeeze it together.
View Quote

Guy provided no other info, but looks like it was disassembled since there's no visible follower. Other folks weighed in and claimed they lost more rounds when dropped than a standard M3.

View Quote

No T-mags in my personal inventory. But that seems awful damn flimsy for a mag body, even disassembled.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#18]

No T-mags in my personal inventory. But that seems awful damn flimsy for a mag body, even disassembled.
View Quote
Flexing and springing back would be better than cracking and shattering.  The plastic bodies on Lancers are pretty soft as well, if it weren't for the stiffening provided by the metal insert.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Flexing and springing back would be better than cracking and shattering.  The plastic bodies on Lancers are pretty soft as well, if it weren't for the stiffening provided by the metal insert.
View Quote

Flexing is paramount regarding polymers, and definitely better than rigidity causing separation.

That just seems excessive. Time will tell though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 2:03:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Noctis] [#20]
Reddit mod takes break from funkopop thread to strain xers fingers to squeezing the end of an disassembled mag which would be protected by the magwell on the outside and supported by brass on the inside.
OK.

Saw this pic on reddit:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2024 8:39:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#21]
Originally Posted By Noctis:
Reddit mod takes break from funkopop thread to strain xers fingers to squeezing the end of an disassembled mag which would be protected by the magwell on the outside and supported by brass on the inside.
OK.
View Quote

Feed lip rigidity matters. This is why people are getting side by sides from them being dropped when loaded.

Can it be fixed easily by pushing the rounds back in place, absolutely. The issue with that though is what if the user doesn’t realize it and inserts a TMAG that’s turned itself duel feed?

And that’s happening without repetition or age, fresh out of the bag. It’s even more legitimate skepticism for the long term in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone should test these against ETS mags
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 9:16:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 14BoltFF] [#23]
I messed with a couple of my TMAGs more. They now insert on a closed bolt (while fully loaded) more easily. I also dropped one of the mags (fully loaded) a half-dozen times on my concrete basement floor from chest height - 3 drops on the lips and 3 drops on the base plate. No cracks and - surprisingly - no ejected cartridges.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Someone should test these against ETS mags
View Quote

I have around 20 or so ETS mags. 6 of them being the mag with the built in coupler. They work great for me. I take a few of them to the range with me each trip. Never have failed.

The Glock mags have worked with zero problems also.

Have never thought of disassembling the mags and see if they flex like that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Saw this pic on reddit:

View Quote

I checked mine and they flexed pretty close to the pic but bounced back.  I checked another regular pmag and it flexed quite a bit, not near as much as the tmags.  They did however feel like they were more likely to crack than the tmags.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
I wonder why they went with slick sided as opposed to the standard ribbing that AR pmags have?
View Quote
Maybe because people have been begging them to bring back Emags for years.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 10:58:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runguns] [#27]
Link Posted: 9/30/2024 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Got my two TMags today.  If I were only using them for 5.56, they are good and I love the color.  As to the flimsiness if you remove the guts, what?  Why would anyone do that and why would they care?  As to double feeding, that would be a problem but I rarely shoot 5.56 so double feeding the cartridge does not concern me.

What I shoot are several of the 6.8 cats and .458 SOCOM cats.  You can forget about the 6.8 cats in them right off the bat and that's to be expected, no criticism there.  However, with the .458 SOCOM and any of its variants, if I am going to use those mags I need them to work. With 300 gr. JHP bullets or 250 gr. Barnes 250 gr. XFN, you can load them into the mag, no problem, so long as their COAL is below 2.125 inch.  But even with those bullets, if the last one feeds from the side instead from the center, they will hang up.  A half moon cut in the front solved that problem for good and it does not extend down into the cursed tit on the inside center front of the magazine.  Unfortunately for me, that was held over from the PMag and prevents the magazine from operating with a center feed full 2.250" length cartridge.  For me then, they are a hard pass since almost all of the bullets I shoot make use of the 2.250 inch limit.  

But there is one more thing that makes these mags a huge fail, regardless of bullets used and loaded into it.  More than 3 .458 SOCOMs, and the mag drags going in and will not drop free when released.  Empty or with three or less rounds in the mag, it inserts without drag and drops free easily, but four or more?  Not going to happen.  When it comes to the SOCOM rounds, TMags are a swing and a miss to me.  I know, they were never marketed for the .458 SOCOM, but the .458 SOCOM was out quite a few years before even the PMags came out, so IMO, Magpul really missed out by putting that stupid rib down the front and now with the TMag, making it so thin that it swells to the point of being somewhat non-functional with .458 SOCOM rounds, regardless of bullet loaded into it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Ran 120 rounds through one Tmag today.
No issues and it feels pretty close to the M3 Pmags.

The dust covers do fit them and they appear a bit more green out in the sun than indoors.  

Overall I’m satisfied with them but won’t go out of my way to acquire more.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Saw this pic on reddit:

View Quote

That thread is a joke and a half.  My normal pmags flex that much.

Unscientific but I have 2 Tmags.  I have loaded them and been shooting them.  I have also been hauling them around in the bed of my truck exposed to elements.  I have also ran them, loaded, through a few hours of baking in the paint curing booth at work.  I have had no issues.  No rounds have popped loose upon drops.  Though that doesn't mean much to me because I have a few normal pmags that will spit rounds when dropped.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 10:33:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#31]
Just got another RamLine, translucent before translucent was cool!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JHans7663:

View All Quotes
Saw this pic on reddit:

You must have vise like grip strength. My M3s do not.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

My soft office Jockey hands have no issue flexing my m3s.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Like this?

Attachment Attached File

I can flex mine as well...but not fully collapse.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Like this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/reddit-3328306_jpg-3339428.JPG

I can flex mine as well...but not fully collapse.
View Quote

Yes if I white knuckle them they both will touch with damn near equal force.  Maybe I have stiff tmags or bendy pmags.  Maybe that's why some of my normal gen 3s spit rounds.  Still working on getting my tmags to spit rounds but not luck without excessive force.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I've been using 3 of these at work allowing everyone to put ammunition through them.  Between the 3, up to about 1600 or so rounds.  A handful of loaded drops, plenty of empty drops, all on an epoxy covered concrete floor.  No issues so far.

A few things of note- the clear polymer seems to 'grip' the rounds inside the magazine a little more- this is noticeable when inserting a full magazine on a closed bolt.  Spring tension and mag body dimensions are the same as a standard G3 PMAG best as I can tell, and during compression you can see some of the rounds rotating as if they're "sticking" more to the inside body of the magazine.  Obviously with a non clear magazine, I can't tell you if rounds "rotate" as they grip the inner wall of the magazine body, but the only thing that makes sense to me is that the body creates a little more friction against the brass than the standard PMAGS.

Result is it takes a little more effort to insert them, no big deal.

During loading, the TMAGS seem to flex outward a little more than PMAGS.  On occasion, the top of the "second" round will stay slightly upward.  However, this issue corrects itself as you continue to load the magazines.  Once you get the 30th in, if the 29th is sticking up a little, put your thumb on the middle of the top and second round, push down, and they seat fine.  Some of my G3 and G2 PMAGS do this too, so I always "seat the stack" once the magazines are topped off, and I've been doing that for years, so no actual change.

Are they worth the additional cost?  For me, no.  I bought a handful and will continue to use them but if I order more magazines, it will be standard non window or window magazines.  They look neat, but the novelty wears off very quickly.  

That being said, I would have NO issues rotating these into the duty magazine stash.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I have ran my 3 Tmags a little more now. No issues yet. I just moved some of my TTI extensions to them, so I will see how they hold up.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#38]

....bendy pmags.
View Quote

Geissele edition?
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
I've been using 3 of these at work allowing everyone to put ammunition through them.  Between the 3, up to about 1600 or so rounds.  A handful of loaded drops, plenty of empty drops, all on an epoxy covered concrete floor.  No issues so far.

A few things of note- the clear polymer seems to 'grip' the rounds inside the magazine a little more- this is noticeable when inserting a full magazine on a closed bolt.  Spring tension and mag body dimensions are the same as a standard G3 PMAG best as I can tell, and during compression you can see some of the rounds rotating as if they're "sticking" more to the inside body of the magazine.  Obviously with a non clear magazine, I can't tell you if rounds "rotate" as they grip the inner wall of the magazine body, but the only thing that makes sense to me is that the body creates a little more friction against the brass than the standard PMAGS.

Result is it takes a little more effort to insert them, no big deal.

During loading, the TMAGS seem to flex outward a little more than PMAGS.  On occasion, the top of the "second" round will stay slightly upward.  However, this issue corrects itself as you continue to load the magazines.  Once you get the 30th in, if the 29th is sticking up a little, put your thumb on the middle of the top and second round, push down, and they seat fine.  Some of my G3 and G2 PMAGS do this too, so I always "seat the stack" once the magazines are topped off, and I've been doing that for years, so no actual change.

Are they worth the additional cost?  For me, no.  I bought a handful and will continue to use them but if I order more magazines, it will be standard non window or window magazines.  They look neat, but the novelty wears off very quickly.  

That being said, I would have NO issues rotating these into the duty magazine stash.
View Quote

These issues may be due to a narrower inside width, due to having thicker walls - the magazine might not be a true double-stack.  There might be a significant lateral force component exerted by a round on another round above it and in the opposite column, essentially acting to spread the magazine apart.
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#40]
The 3 I've been using have been good-to-go so far with both suppressed and non-suppressed ARs. I haven't yet tried them in non-AR rifles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2024 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm looking to offload mine or return them if I can. Can't seat them on a closed bolt if you put more than 15 rounds in them, and the feed lips appear to be getting spread out/rounds pointed outwards just from trying to seat them when closed a handful of times. No bueno. Put a handful of rounds through them today, no issues there but I don't have any trust in them if I was running them full.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:56:52 AM EDT
[#42]
The Magpul Bottom Line - TMAG vs PMAG
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Magpul TMAG (Page 5 of 5)
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top