Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page
7/13/2023 6:45:05 PM EDT
I had a muzzle device direct dive into concreate incident at the range today, that thankfully did not result in damage. The 7" AR9 was slung around my shoulder while both of my hands were occupied loading mags when the front connection released.  I am beginning to dislike this system as it relies on these tiny ball bearings to support your rifle systems which can run from a few hundred dollars into the thousands. I am looking for some, preferably American made, reliable non-Chinese QD connect parts.
7/13/2023 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like the SOBTactical MFQD and it's flat design.  I have never had one accidentally come loose.

https://sobtactical.com/slings/
7/13/2023 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt this would accidentally detach from your rifle.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/uwl
7/13/2023 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Blue Force Gear is my go-to for best of the best sling attachments.

I also have a number of Damage Industries, Magpul, and GG&G swivels that have yet to fail me. Be advised, QD swivels require maintenance to function dead nuts reliably.

Originally posted by Blue Force Gear:

Place a small drop of oil or gun lube down the push button channel every time you clean your weapon to ensure smooth operation and protect the internals from corrosion.
View Quote
7/13/2023 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Had that happen with a buffer endplate QD.  The Vlt0r stock I had would depress the QD when collapsed.  I slung it to go into the range and it disconnected and dropped the very expensive two stamp build right on the suppressor.
7/13/2023 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]
What was the female side socket? The ball bearings in the Magpul are made of steel. While every rail maker thinks machined in sockets are a good selling point, they’re also a good failure point. The steel socket will wear out the aluminum rail. This one wore out in 5k’ish rounds and it’s a quality rail. A lower quality rail will wear out even sooner.



If you’re going to run QD sockets you need to have steel on both sides. I have countless thousands of rounds through BCM sockets with Magpul slings with no failures. I’m probably harder on slings than most people as I sling up at every opportunity.
7/13/2023 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the H&K style hooks.
7/14/2023 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#7]
The FCD MSQ-H is what you seek.
7/14/2023 1:03:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the Magpul Paraclips.

I tried HK clips, they weren't awful, but I think paraclips are better, quieter, easier to remove.

To be honest, I like just using paracord better, with the magpul mlok paraclip attachment or straight on the mlok rail.  I can't remember the last time I took a sling of a rifle.  Tired of spending $50-$80 on sling hardware.
7/14/2023 2:13:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Grovtec is US made and OEM supplier for a lot of other brands.  2 pack of manganese phosphate swivels for $26

Amazon Product
  • Package Dimensions: 14.223 L x 2.286H x7.366W(centimeters)

7/14/2023 2:36:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Bummer. What brand was the QD sling swivel and the mount?
7/14/2023 3:25:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm curious why your rig is slung while you're loading mags and not setting on the bench?

Jon
7/14/2023 4:49:12 AM EDT
[#12]
It’s not always the QD itself but the socket can be the culprit

I definitely don’t plug a steel QD into a socket machined into the rail (aluminum)

Typically I use a BCM socket and QD but shaking the crap out of it will usually expose issues when you build it.
7/14/2023 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Quoted:
I'm curious why your rig is slung while you're loading mags and not setting on the bench?

Jon
View Quote


lol wow
7/14/2023 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quote History
Quoted:
What was the female side socket? The ball bearings in the Magpul are made of steel. While every rail maker thinks machined in sockets are a good selling point, they’re also a good failure point. The steel socket will wear out the aluminum rail. This one wore out in 5k’ish rounds and it’s a quality rail. A lower quality rail will wear out even sooner.

https://i.ibb.co/6rD9fgY/55-A28-A1-C-4608-4-EB0-A587-3-EBE6-FF4-F11-E.jpg

If you’re going to run QD sockets you need to have steel on both sides. I have countless thousands of rounds through BCM sockets with Magpul slings with no failures. I’m probably harder on slings than most people as I sling up at every opportunity.
View Quote


Yes. This is why I use the Mlok steel sockets even though my rails have integrated sockets.
7/14/2023 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#15]
QD swivels require occasional maintenance.  If you do not lube and clean them they will get dry and dusty in the mechanism causing the bearings to fail to protrude fully and a dropped rifle. You MUST lube them at least annually, if not more frequently. How long had it been since you cleaned and lubed your QD points on your sling?

Also, lubing and cleaning your QD sockets prevents abrasive wear. Especially important for aluminum sockets.

The standard QD swivels I use are Magpul and BFG. They have both been fine.

Also, I have ZERO issues using QUALITY aluminum QD sockets. The rail integrated ones that are 6061 alloy are for lightweight builds only. The rest are 7075 or stronger alloys. (2099, 7068, 7075, etc. Used at rear receiver plate, MLOK slots, built into rail, picatinny mount, etc.)

I prefer a protected rear button swivel that is recessed for a rear plate QD because it seldom needs to be removed and protects against stock collapse inadvertently pushing the button if something gets beween the stock and rear QD point, like the BFG. I prefer an easy to activate button that is wider at the front so I can easily swap from 2 point to 1 point modes and back using a BFG burnsed socket, like the Magpul. If you ONLY run 2 point mode and want the most secure front QD get the narrower buckle BFG swivel, which is what they use on factory BFG slings. It is protected and bunches the sling material to provide even more protection from accidental button presses.
7/14/2023 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quote History
Quoted:
I'm curious why your rig is slung while you're loading mags and not setting on the bench?

Jon
View Quote


Is this a serious question?
7/14/2023 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Trusting QD attachments is as folly as not carrying spare batteries...
7/14/2023 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quote History
Quoted:
I'm curious why your rig is slung while you're loading mags and not setting on the bench?

Jon
View Quote




He might be training for a situation where he actually uses he weapon.  Weird, I know.

7/14/2023 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#19]
As others have stated it's the quality of the swivel and socket that matter. Had one disconnect on me and dump my rifle on ground, landed on the Aimpoint. I believe it was the unknown quality swivel that was the issue. I've since switched to BCM swivels and have not had an issue in 7+ years. BCM doesn't make them, not sure who does, but the quality is excellent and the button is recessed so there is no chance of it being depressed unintentionally.
7/14/2023 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quote History
Quoted:
I'm curious why your rig is slung while you're loading mags and not setting on the bench?

Jon
View Quote

With modern two point slings you can sling up offhand relatively easy. Additionally they can be ran much easier while worn without interfering like the old non adjustable slings. 99% of my shooting I have my sling on.
7/14/2023 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Quoted:
I really like the SOBTactical MFQD and it's flat design.  I have never had one accidentally come loose.

https://sobtactical.com/slings/
View Quote


I have never seen this but it has my interest.
7/14/2023 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quote History
Quoted:
Trusting QD attachments is as folly as not carrying spare batteries...
View Quote


@coldblue

What's your recommended attachment method?  Genuinely interested.
7/14/2023 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quote History
Quoted:
To be honest, I like just using paracord better, with the magpul mlok paraclip attachment or straight on the mlok rail.
View Quote


I do this about 1/2 the time too.  Always figured it was pretty bomb proof.  Has anyone ever had a 550 cord sling attachment melt or otherwise break?
7/14/2023 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#24]
My opinion is that BCM, Magpul, and Blue Force Gear make high quality, trustworthy parts.

The Blue Force Gear U-loop is partially useful for rifles like the SCAR or H&Ks where you have a small eyelet attachment point. It is quite versatile.
7/14/2023 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I have Larue, BCM, DD, & cheap, Chinese garbage  QDs on every rifle I own.

I have never had the Larue, BCM or DD fail and end up with a rifle in the dirt.

I do NOT put the Chinese stuff on anything I care about bouncing off pavement.
7/14/2023 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I use 550 cord loops for front sling and double slide for the rear. Can still remove the sling by undoing the rear slide and feeding the back through the front 550 cord loop. Can always loop the paracord through the hand guard off the barrel if you think heat will be an issue.
7/14/2023 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quote History
Quoted:
As others have stated it's the quality of the swivel and socket that matter. Had one disconnect on me and dump my rifle on ground, landed on the Aimpoint. I believe it was the unknown quality swivel that was the issue. I've since switched to BCM swivels and have not had an issue in 7+ years. BCM doesn't make them, not sure who does, but the quality is excellent and the button is recessed so there is no chance of it being depressed unintentionally.
View Quote


Exactly. It disconnected off the front which is an unknown Mlok QD socket (prob Amazon) and the rear which is my SB Tactical CQB remained firmly attached. I'm sure my QD swivel is also a $7 Amazon part. My patrol M4 has all Magpul QD swivel and socket and you can play tug of war with the sling and that thing will not detach.
7/14/2023 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quote History
Quoted:
I'm curious why your rig is slung while you're loading mags and not setting on the bench?

Jon
View Quote
Cali
2022
7/14/2023 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quote History
Quoted:
I doubt this would accidentally detach from your rifle.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/uwl
View Quote


I am liking those, thanks (I think!).  

Currently use magpul paraclips.  Went to those after watching a couple guys QDs fail during a few run and gun events.
7/14/2023 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't ever use QD for this reason. My slings all have a hard attach method. There are too many companies making qd and the tolerances are variable.  They rattle, add weight, cost money, dump your gun and act like  a little lever making the rifle hang funny. ETA I use paracord in front, loops in stock in thr rear. HK hooks if need QD
7/14/2023 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I’ve never had this happen to me. Is it that common of an issue?
7/14/2023 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quote History
Quoted:
I’ve never had this happen to me. Is it that common of an issue?
View Quote

Not with properly made examples. Problem is there are lots of cheap options made out of spec and/or made from improper materials.
7/14/2023 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Quoted:

Not with properly made examples. Problem is there are lots of cheap options made out of spec and/or made from improper materials.
View Quote

That’s what I figured.
7/14/2023 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quote History
Quoted:
I’ve never had this happen to me. Is it that common of an issue?
View Quote

It's not common but it just takes one rifle dump to sour folks to qd.
7/14/2023 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I've never really paid much attention to qd swivels. I use a bunch on spare rifles but typically use 550 cord on my most used rifles
7/14/2023 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I went with grovetec swivels and arson QD point. So far so good.
7/14/2023 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quote History
Quoted:

If you’re going to run QD sockets you need to have steel on both sides. I have countless thousands of rounds through BCM sockets with Magpul slings with no failures. I’m probably harder on slings than most people as I sling up at every opportunity.
View Quote


This is what I use, and I've never had a failure in over a hundred hours of classes.
7/14/2023 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#38]
For all the people using paracord, do you go out of your way to use the military spec stuff?  I use commercial 550 cord and just make sure it has at least 7 internal strands but was wondering if there is a reason to use the true milspec stuff.
7/14/2023 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I just use magpul brand. I have their heavy duty qd on my sling but the attachment sockets are both magpul ones made of steel. Never had any problems with them getting detached.

A poorly/cheaply made hk hook or hook is way better than a poorly/cheaply made qd socket/attachment. It's always a good idea to buy quality made qd and qd sockets.

If I recall correctly, the newer geissele urg-i has the qd sockets that's made of aluminium. It's in military use. I'm not sure how common qd attachments are in the military but I imagine the same issue with people buy cheap qd products and it failing is the main issue.
7/15/2023 1:05:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quote History
Quoted:
For all the people using paracord, do you go out of your way to use the military spec stuff?  I use commercial 550 cord and just make sure it has at least 7 internal strands but was wondering if there is a reason to use the true milspec stuff.
View Quote

If it's 7 strand it's probably fine. Maybe there's a heat difference or something, but I'm not sure.
7/15/2023 2:02:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Add me to the list of never having issues with many, many examples of quality QDs and countless hours in the woods carrying a rifle.
7/15/2023 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Can somebody post some pictures of paracord attachments?  I can't figure out how to do it and not have my sling get twisted.
7/15/2023 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#43]
@trails-end

Here's a good thread with some pictures too:

Deleted by moderator. Links to the other site are not allowed on this forum.



7/15/2023 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quote History
Quoted:
I'm curious why your rig is slung while you're loading mags and not setting on the bench?

Jon
View Quote


Username checks
7/16/2023 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#45]
No issues here using quality QD's.
7/16/2023 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#46]
I think it is important that when you attach your QD, that you give it a good thug. Not just straight up but side to side too.

It's hard to find data for the QD sockets. I'm a bit surprised the military didn't do tests especially when they got the newer URGI uppers that has the sockets in the rail. But from what I can tell, assuming that the sockets are well made and the swivels are well made, the force that it would take for it to rip out of the socket is 250 pounds. However, that is the same force it would take to snap every possible mounting hardware out there such as the front sight post swivel, or a hk hook or paracord. I never heard of a qd socket being ripped out yet but it sounds mostly that the mating of the swivel to the qd point is the failure.

I seen some people talk about paracords and one time I did have a xm177e2 clone with the paracord wrapped around the front sight post. All fun and games until your paracord melts. So that's a thought as well and something you should consider.

Overall I'm 100% qd sockets these days. I do worry about failure but thus far nothing has failed on me.
7/16/2023 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I’ve had QDs fail twice on me during two different run and gun matches resulting in a rifle dropping off my shoulder. One was a MagPul and the other was a QD that came with a Colt rifle. I’ve now resorted to a simple loop of 1100 cord to attach the sling to the stock and handguard. One less failure point. But I recognize that some people need the QD feature.
7/16/2023 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#48]
No issues here using quality QD's.
7/16/2023 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quote History
Quoted:
I don't ever use QD for this reason. My slings all have a hard attach method. There are too many companies making qd and the tolerances are variable.  They rattle, add weight, cost money, dump your gun and act like  a little lever making the rifle hang funny. ETA I use paracord in front, loops in stock in thr rear. HK hooks if need QD
View Quote



This guy gets it.

QDs suck. Period. End of story.  Noisy, higher chance of failure.

Deiter cqd or equivalent,  550 cord if necessary on non heat generating surfaces,  sleeves and/or tape on all hard sling surfaces (buckles, sliders, loops, etc.).

So you uave to put a little work into disconnecting your sling.  So what. I hate noise until i decide to make it.  Also never had a direct mount fail in the last 30 years. The piece of mind is priceless.
7/17/2023 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quote History
Quoted:
But from what I can tell, assuming that the sockets are well made and the swivels are well made, the force that it would take for it to rip out of the socket is 250 pounds. However, that is the same force it would take to snap every possible mounting hardware out there such as the front sight post swivel, or a hk hook or paracord.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
But from what I can tell, assuming that the sockets are well made and the swivels are well made, the force that it would take for it to rip out of the socket is 250 pounds. However, that is the same force it would take to snap every possible mounting hardware out there such as the front sight post swivel, or a hk hook or paracord.


Edited: I could be wrong but I thought 550 cord is made to withstand 550lbs of static force.  It would all depend on how the 250 lbs of force you site is applied to the mount.

Quoted:I seen some people talk about paracords and one time I did have a xm177e2 clone with the paracord wrapped around the front sight post. All fun and games until your paracord melts. So that's a thought as well and something you should consider.


How did it melt?  Where was it attached to the FSB?  Was it the angled, rear portion of the A-frame or around where the gas tube is pinned?  Did the cord melt to the point of breaking?  I'm genuinely curious since I've heard claims of this happening, but it seems less common than QDs failing.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page
AR Sponsor