User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1181 of 1573)
Page / 1573
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 11:47:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762hunter2] [#1]
Tar Heel State Firearms sure has a fast turn around time on engraving.

Mailed my Colt lower on Monday. It got there today, they engraved it and shipped it back today, and now it’ll be here Friday.

Ordered a CQD front sling mount too Was thinking of just using a DD qd point that’s considered clone correct but why cheap out now

Unexpected page ownage.

As she sits:
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:17:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#2]
Nice
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:18:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, made some pretty major progress on CQBR V2 :D.

First, I scored a new EXPS3-0 tan for $469 yesterday. Thus motivated, I decided I was tired of looking at a pile of parts, so I broke out the tools and got the URG fully assembled. Checked headspace, installed the RIS II with fresh Vibratite and everything is good to go. Ended up building on my CAGE code upper - the upper/lower fit was just better. Got my new TD Stubby QD from Euro Optic today as well - thanks again for the heads up, JLAudio.

Mmm, fresh CQD:

So, the only thing left is ye olde taupe 99051 and last, but certainly not least, the mighty NT4. I should know something tomorrow about how long I'd have to wait if I want the best deal on an NT4. If it's more than a week or two, I'm probably just gonna go ahead and order the one that is in stock. We shall see tomorrow :D.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 2:58:12 AM EDT
[#4]
For those having canted rails suggest when you tighten the screws use a detachable carrying handle, PRI mounting block or a plastic block that bridges your upper receiver and DD RIS II.  By having the block bridging the two together ensuresthe two are straight together and not offset when assembling.

CD
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 4:52:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
For those having canted rails suggest when you tighten the screws use a detachable carrying handle, PRI mounting block or a plastic block that bridges your upper receiver and DD RIS II.  By having the block bridging the two together ensuresthe two are straight together and not offset when assembling.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003420894/yankee-hill-machine-upper-receiver-ar-15-picatinny-rail-action-block-vise-jaws
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007134094/pri-upper-receiver-picatinny-rail-vise-block-ar-15

CD
View Quote
Very good point; kinda surprised DD doesn't mention this in the installation manual. Personally, I always use some sort of bridge, and I've had good luck using all kinds of stuff - on this latest URG, I just used the QD Stubby because it was handy. When swapping to the new RIS II on my old URG, I used the EXPS3. In the past, I've even used an old KAC panel with the clip removed for alignment, lol. Anything that is long enough and gives a reasonably firm hold.

Other than that, I tighten evenly in the order recommended by DD - bottom hand tight, center tightened evenly first, followed by the bottom, then top - and visually check alignment as I go. Usually turns out perfectly the first go. If I'm feeling extra anal retentive, I'll verify perfect alignment with a caliper ;p.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:20:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#6]
CD: thanks for the idea.

i had one of these laying around, 5.5" long pic rail riser.  supplemented with three small C-clamps: one in the middle, one at each end.  I had previously tried it with a carry handle but that didn't lock the pic rails together enough.

MidwayUSA: UTG picatinny rail riser
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I like Mod 0s.

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:
CD: thanks for the idea.

i had one of these laying around, 5.5" long pic rail riser.  supplemented with three small C-clamps: one in the middle, one at each end.  I had previously tried it with a carry handle but that didn't lock the pic rails together enough.

MidwayUSA: UTG picatinny rail riser
https://i.imgur.com/ClE5J9A.jpg
View Quote
Forgot to mention, don't lock both clamps down at first as you'll need some slippage as the rail is compressed with the screws.  It is to serve as a guide.

CD
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I need warm, dry weather...

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 762hunter2:

Mailed my Colt lower on Monday. It got there today, they engraved it and shipped it back today, and now it’ll be here Friday.

Ordered a CQD front sling mount too Was thinking of just using a DD qd point that’s considered clone correct but why cheap out now

Unexpected page ownage.

As she sits:
https://i.imgur.com/4mHc0WO.jpg
View Quote
Where on the lower are you having the engraving done? I am taking mine today to a local place and thinking of the inside magwell lip area.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bhavin22:
Where on the lower are you having the engraving done? I am taking mine today to a local place and thinking of the inside magwell lip area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Unexpected page ownage.

As she sits:
Trigger area is best area:

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#12]
That was my other choice. I can’t decide between the two.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
I went inside trigger area. Seems to be the most popular spot these days
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#14]
THIS
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Forgot to mention, don't lock both clamps down at first as you'll need some slippage as the rail is compressed with the screws.  It is to serve as a guide.

CD
View Quote
yeah, before I locked the clamps down, I pushed the rail solidly against the barrel nut while tightening the clamps.  good point.  thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:01:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VeganCrossfitter] [#16]
Originally Posted By Subiescott:
This.
View All Quotes
This.
I'm obviously new here so thanks for the suggestion. Thought the 10.3 URGI would be more relevant in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:09:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#17]

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003420894/yankee-hill-machine-upper-receiver-ar-15-picatinny-rail-action-block-vise-jaws
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007134094/pri-upper-receiver-picatinny-rail-vise-block-ar-15

CD
View Quote
Agreed. I use my arms #38 ex riser to bridge the upper and rail when I install ris ii's. then I just keep an eye on the left/right positioning as I tighten it. Helps to keep the top picatinny continuous and keeps the barrel centered. Anything that will span the upper and rail will work. Haven't had any alignment issues installing this way.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Got the engraving done and went with the trigger area. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:38:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#19]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

Mailed my Colt lower on Monday. It got there today, they engraved it and shipped it back today, and now it'll be here Friday.

Ordered a CQD front sling mount too Was thinking of just using a DD qd point that's considered clone correct but why cheap out now

Unexpected page ownage.

As she sits:
Trigger area is best area:

https://tarheelstatefirearms.com/store/image/cache/data/AR%20Lower%20inside%20trigger%20guard-667x500.jpg
I made the rookie mistake of getting my engraving on the front of the magwell.  Won't do that again.

ETA: pics, nothin new, maybe the afg on the gg&g build.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Dyzastr:
I made the rookie mistake of getting my engraving on the front of the magwell.  Won't do that again.
View Quote
Just do some tacticool coverup on your tramp stamp and get it redone in the trigger area hahaha
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:44:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhavin22] [#21]
Nice builds Dyz
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
Tarheel did my 3 recent form 1 lowers too. If you are nervous (like I was) about mailing registered lowers, don't be. Smooth as butter with tarheel and same day turnaround. Apparently most popular SBR/FFL engravers turn them around same day so they do not have to do paperwork on taking receipt of the registered lower.

I had them done in the trigger area. They reblack the engraving after, you genuinely cannot see it unless you are looking for it. Highly recommend Tarheel.

Remember that engraving is a 1 shot deal, I could have had them done locally from someone that "thinks" he can do it, but I did not want to mess up a colt lower.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:59:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#23]
Visited my can today. Brought my non-clone 10.3" mash-up rifle to mount it on for IG pics, so please excuse the Geissele MK8 9.5" DDC rail in the pic.

Nice and new. Soon enough, she'll be fouled up like a TOYOTA Prius C that just got coal rolled by an F350 diesel with stacks and a smoke switch!

Funny story, one of the store managers was like "Nice can. Do they make that in 9mm? I want a cool looking can..." I was like, "No. No they don't." and thinking, you wouldn't pay $1,500 for a 9mm can anyway - especially if you're just buying based on looks.

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:12:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#24]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
Visited my can today. Brought my non-clone 10.3" mash-up rifle to mount it on for IG pics, so please excuse the Geissele MK8 9.5" DDC rail in the pic.

Nice and new. Soon enough, she'll be fouled up like a TOYOTA Prius C that just got coal rolled by an F350 diesel with stacks and a smoke switch!

Funny story, one of the store managers was like "Nice can. Do they make that in 9mm? I want a cool looking can..." I was like, "No. No they don't." and thinking, you wouldn't pay $1,500 for a 9mm can anyway - especially if you're just buying based on looks.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7927/33506120588_fcf4b1c541_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7920/33506120548_8d6874f5a4_z.jpg
View Quote
You should have told him no, but you can spend $500 more for a 9mm KAC can that you can only use on one pistol with a specifically modified barrel.

PS- Those IG pics are . That can looks good on that rifle.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

You should have told him no, but you can spend $500 more for a 9mm KAC can that you can only use on one pistol with a specifically modified barrel.

PS- Those IG pics are . That can looks good on that rifle.
View Quote
Thanks dude!
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
Love it, nice work. Quick question: did you use a M-lok picatinny rail to attach the WMX? Oh the things we do..
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

Love it, nice work. Quick question: did you use a M-lok picatinny rail to attach the WMX? Oh the things we do..
View Quote
Affirmative, just a polymer Magpul rail section. However, the WMX has since moved to the mod 1 and has been replaced with a Arisaka 300 on their new side mount. The WMX really stuck out a lot since it's also the rotational body and cancelled out the slimmer rail so I went with the tidier setup.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 3:04:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 100roundclipazine] [#29]
shes done for now. ATPIAL-c is on

I need to switch the elcan out for a gen 2 in bronze (dreams). Brodband8 on here has the exact look I dream of
And it feels naked without rattle can. Well see, wanted to keep this one black for the most part but idk
picked up one of these old logo exps3s and man is it way less finnicky than the elcan, but elcan is life. Have an extra wmx maybe an m4 block ii or sell to recoup my funds because I am poor

Link Posted: 3/15/2019 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#30]

CD
View Quote
@combat_diver do you loctite the screws?

Best way to remove the old loctite when reinstalling the rail?
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:

@combat_diver do you loctite the screws?

Best way to remove the old loctite when reinstalling the rail?
View Quote
No, as there is loctite already on the screws.  I use a heat gun to warm things up if needed.

CD
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:44:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhavin22] [#32]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

Tarheel did my 3 recent form 1 lowers too. If you are nervous (like I was) about mailing registered lowers, don't be. Smooth as butter with tarheel and same day turnaround. Apparently most popular SBR/FFL engravers turn them around same day so they do not have to do paperwork on taking receipt of the registered lower.

I had them done in the trigger area. They reblack the engraving after, you genuinely cannot see it unless you are looking for it. Highly recommend Tarheel.

Remember that engraving is a 1 shot deal, I could have had them done locally from someone that "thinks" he can do it, but I did not want to mess up a colt lower.
View Quote
Ident marking in Texas did mine. Local to me so they did it while I waited. Trust me I wasn’t going to take it to bubba out of his garage hahaha.
Turned out nice.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Ident marking in Texas did mine. Local to me so they did it while I waited. Trust me I wasn’t going to take it to bubba out of his garage hahaha.
Turned out nice. https://i.imgur.com/LGf9Hbg.jpg
View Quote
That's a smart place to put the engraving. Wish I had known about that option; mine's just on the side of the receiver. On another note, that seam in the picture is typical on Colt lowers and it sure is fugly. My Colt lower has it too. However, my Daniel Defense lower does not have this is and is machined so much nicer. But #clonelyfe
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:

That's a smart place to put the engraving. Wish I had known about that option; mine's just on the side of the receiver. On another note, that seam in the picture is typical on Colt lowers and it sure is fugly. My Colt lower has it too. However, my Daniel Defense lower does not have this is and is machined so much nicer. But #clonelyfe
View Quote
Yes super ugly but signature colt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Newly added 4 prong to the CQBR.  Going to pick up a CQD endplate and G33 magnifier eventually.

Link Posted: 3/15/2019 5:36:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#36]
Shameless Plug Dept...

I have some clone parts in the EE...

- KAC Sights  SOLD

- SOPMOD Gen 1's
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I just posted my Colt Block II CQBR in the EE if any of you fine gentlewomen want dem dibs
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
I just posted my Colt Block II CQBR in the EE if any of you fine gentlewomen want dem dibs
View Quote
You are talking crazy. Reel it back in before you go and do something rash :\.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By krdt:
View All Quotes
Its temporarily time to say goodbye to the CQBR realm. But I will be back
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
I guess one CQBR goes, another CQBR comes to take its place... tis the cycle of clonelife ;p.

Just got my new EXPS3-0 in today. Once I find a 99051 to my liking it'll be all done save the NT4.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Just curious but how beat up are everyone's rigs? I certainly don't safequeen status my block ii by any means, lol.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Just curious but how beat up are everyone's rigs? I certainly don't safequeen status my block ii by any means, lol.
View Quote
Mine is new so not beat up at all. But I don’t plan to baby this bad boy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 12:24:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4AZ] [#43]
Picked up a Insight MRDS and went to sight it in today, the docter didnt last lond since i like the look more of the MRDS (more cloney).
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 2:42:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Mmm, new EXPS... so crispy, shiny and new. The anodizing on this new one is also a lot more flat/matte than my old one - matches the anodizing on the M600DF almost perfectly.

Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Mmm, new EXPS... so crispy, shiny and new. The anodizing on this new one is also a lot more flat/matte than my old one - matches the anodizing on the M600DF almost perfectly.

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.031519.New.EXPS-RS-01.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.031519.New.EXPS-RS-02.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.031519.New.EXPS-RS-04.jpg
View Quote
Do you think that Gear Sector scout mount would work with a FSB? I want one (or the Surefire version) for my MK18 Mod 0 variant but I'm worried it won't work.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By HD2006:
Newly added 4 prong to the CQBR.  Going to pick up a CQD endplate and G33 magnifier eventually.

https://i.imgur.com/96rCj0g.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nFWXisr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FGXeobZ.jpg
View Quote
How kosher is modernizing the cqbr 1? I can’t stand the light on mine since the output sucks compared to newer offerings.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 1:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rothperson87] [#47]

I guess one CQBR goes, another CQBR comes to take its place... tis the cycle of clonelife ;p.

Just got my new EXPS3-0 in today. Once I find a 99051 to my liking it'll be all done save the NT4.
View Quote
Some new taupe 99051s if anyone is looking
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Took the CQBR out for the first time today and it ran perfect! And then this pic was taken right after I had it setup on my pavers and the wind knocked it into the granite. Now my freshly cerakoted EoTech and B5 have love marks and it looks like I actually use the rifle .

Link Posted: 3/16/2019 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I feel like such a n00b asking this, but how high up are the sight posts on all y'alls 99051s?

This is mine, paired with a KAC 200-600 all the way at the rear, when zeroed at 25m using the Z mark on the rear sight. It all co-aligns with my CompM2's zero, why is it is soooo high up though?
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By conservakid:
I feel like such a n00b asking this, but how high up are the sight posts on all y'alls 99051s?

This is mine, paired with a KAC 200-600 all the way at the rear, when zeroed at 25m using the Z mark on the rear sight. It all co-aligns with my CompM2's zero, why is it is soooo high up though?
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4881/47343517752_bf180d73b2_k.jpg
View Quote
This has come up more than a few times in the course of the block 2 threads. Why? Just does.

Seriously, its just a minor annoyance. Zero and forget about it
Page / 1573
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1181 of 1573)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top