Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 22 of 1574)
Page / 1574
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not sure how I want to do the rest of the camo................paint just the lower? Upper and lower only? Upper only?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:51:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#2]

Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Not sure how I want to do the rest of the camo................paint just the lower? Upper and lower only? Upper only?
View All Quotes

Start with the lower and see how you like it. It's probably the easiest part to do since you can take it off and mask the internals.

ETA: Another technique you can employ is using sponges to stipple paint on around the upper where the rail mounts. Once you get paint applied there, spray the rest and add a little stippling in to finish it off. If you look at my Blk II, you'll see how the stippling turned out.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Start with the lower and see how you like it. It's probably the easiest part to do since you can take it off and mask the internals.

ETA: Another technique you can employ is using sponges to stipple paint on around the upper where the rail mounts. Once you get paint applied there, spray the rest and add a little stippling in to finish it off. If you look at my receivers, you'll see how the stippling turned out.

View All Quotes

ETA: Another technique you can employ is using sponges to stipple paint on around the upper where the rail mounts. Once you get paint applied there, spray the rest and add a little stippling in to finish it off. If you look at my receivers, you'll see how the stippling turned out.

Advice taken
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:12:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ECPrevatte] [#4]
Lower Only:

Full:

Up close:

Do it all (minus rail). Do it!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#5]

The lower-only just looks so "BTDT, got rebuilt because of it" look.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:44:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Pic #2 in that post is the Bees Knees!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:46:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

View All Quotes

It is pretty sick
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:39:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#8]
Really good deal in EE right now for a MK18 upper with correct KAC sights included.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know the guy.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Really good deal in EE right now for a MK18 upper with correct KAC sights included.

DISCLAIMER: I don' know the guy.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1301184_Daniel_Defense_MK18_complete_upper_with_KAC_sights_1000_00_Shipped.html

View Quote

That's a great deal.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Still a work in progress waiting on my form 1 so it's a pistol at the moment
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:31:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: p712k] [#11]
This isn't strictly Mk18 content but there is one in the pic (in the middle). What can the SMEs on here tell me about the upper on the top? Looks like a 11-13" with an M4 cut?

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Took some buddies to the range today - first time using the new Surefire SF3P FH.

Forgot about the tuning fork effect the prongs give off, but it did a great job hiding the flash - better than the Daniel Defense flashider that came with the upper - much better.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Why would that be done? Is that the shortest that a M203 can be mounted on?

Originally Posted By cowboy:

M4 cut down to 12.5"

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cowboy:
Originally Posted By p712k:
This isn't strictly Mk18 content but there is one in the pic (in the middle). What can the SMEs on here tell me about the upper on the top? Looks like a 11-13" with an M4 cut?

http://i60.tinypic.com/2q9mbty.jpg

M4 cut down to 12.5"

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:19:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: p712k] [#16]
Found it on a flash drive with pictures I had downloaded off the web, probably from an old thread here or MP.net. I couldn't find it in the old MK18 threads - either of them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Nice!  

Talked me into it  Rail and all!  

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Oooo that's nice!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I approve of this sprayage.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#20]
That looks bad ass!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Kinda wanna paint my rail too. It's just too much uniform FDE for my liking...
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

This. I like the look where it looks like 20 different rifles were taken apart, thrown in a bag and you reach in to grab a part to build one
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
Oooo that's nice!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
Oooo that's nice!

I approve of this sprayage.

Originally Posted By Highlande2:
That looks bad ass!

snip

Looks great. I like the green-ness of it.

Thanks!  It looks a little greener in the photo than in person...

Yeah, that's were I was also.  Just couldn't bring myself to paint the add ons....Yet
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Switched to the SOPMOD again huh? And you have your SF SOCOM RC?! So jelly right now
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:02:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Damn, that looks great!  I really need to paint one of my rifles but I'm too scared.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Omega9000:

Switched to the SOPMOD again huh? And you have your SF SOCOM RC?! So jelly right now
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Omega9000:

Yep, can't beat the cheek weld of the SOPMOD.  Not yet, that's the SOCOM Mini, another 2-3 weeks and hopefully the RC will be here!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#28]
For those of you who are interested (as i posted a few pages back about being undergassed); i had my colt 10.3" gas port opened up to .080 and with an H buffer its running fine; its actually ejecting at 11 o'clock so for shits i may just try an H2 Buffer next weekend.  Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Just heard back from EOtech - even though my 553 is just out of warranty, they will repair it free of charge.

Good deal.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#30]

Originally Posted By cschelk2:

For those of you who are interested (as i posted a few pages back about being undergassed); i had my colt 10.3" gas port opened up to .080 and with an H buffer its running fine; its actually ejecting at 11 o'clock so for shits i may just try an H2 Buffer next weekend.  Thanks for the advice.
View Quote
Good to hear!  So why are you selling it? Just not  into the Mod0 configuration?

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:00:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MegaTarsal] [#31]
Good to hear!  So why are you selling it? Just not I to the Mod0 configuration?  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cschelk2:
Good to hear!  So why are you selling it? Just not I to the Mod0 configuration?  

I actually had two brand new 6920's cut down by the same gentleman for me.  A friend changed his mind so the 2nd one is on the EE.  After i realized mine was not running well on the factory 6920 gas port size i had them open up the ports on both of the cut downs (he is fairly local to myself).  So the one in the EE is not the same one i have shaved down for my cqbr.  If i dont sell it then i'll throw my mk18 mod 0 back together.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/BlancoDiablo/media/400651_485494671554392_1153969746_n_zps40400edc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t15/BlancoDiablo/400651_485494671554392_1153969746_n_zps40400edc.jpg</a>
View Quote

Dam Blanco_ steppin it up! Looks great!.....Sully
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Army SF:

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#34]
FYI: I contacted Insight directly to buy the VBL-600-A27 and received the following response:

"Good morning,

We only sell these products direct to the government or to distributors. Please check with the following distributors to see if they have what you are looking for:

TNVC (Tactical Night Vision Company)
Cobra Tactical

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Best Regards,"

WTF?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Thunder79:
FYI: I contacted Insight directly to buy the VBL-600-A27 and received the following response:

"Good morning,

We only sell these products direct to the government or to distributors. Please check with the following distributors to see if they have what you are looking for:

TNVC (Tactical Night Vision Company)
Cobra Tactical

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Best Regards,"

WTF?
View Quote

I guess they only sell the High IR models to .gov or distributors?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#36]
So I finally landed what I believe to be the most clone correct light for the MK18 MOD 0. PIcked up a m962 on EE the other day. Man, this thing is long. It takes up almost the entire side of the rail. Augee said that these are often seen with the SWO2 clicky cap (and I happen to have a line on one). The thing that I am unsure of is whether or not I have the correct head. I think there were at least three types for this model. Any MOD 0 gurus want to help me out?

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:36:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nameless_Hobo] [#37]
I don't remember seeing this picture posted, but I may be mistaken, my memory sucks. I thought it was interesting to see the M900s.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Tmender03:

View All Quotes
FYI: I contacted Insight directly to buy the VBL-600-A27 .... /snip

I doubt the level of IR output has anything to do with it---it's not like we are dealing with Class IIIb lasers here.

Insight stayed a while back that they wouldn't be distributing these lights for the commercial market as before. This must be what it looks like. Hopefully a distributor can place an order for one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By cmcflex:

I doubt the level of IR output has anything to do with it---it's not like we are dealing with Class IIIb lasers here.

Insight stayed a while back that they wouldn't be distributing these lights for the commercial market as before. This must be what it looks like. Hopefully a distributor can place an order for one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cmcflex:
FYI: I contacted Insight directly to buy the VBL-600-A27 .... /snip

I hope I can order one from TNVC, but I doubt it. I will be calling them tomorrow. A while back there was a member who posted their hi output version in here, or the old thread. I wonder how they got theirs. Man, I have cash-in-hand and really want one of these. I found the unicorn front sight in an hour thanks to this thread, I can't believe the damn flashlight is holding up this project
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:00:02 AM EDT
[#40]
So I finally landed what I believe to be the most clone correct light for the MK18 MOD 0. PIcked up a m962 on EE the other day. Man, this thing is long. It takes up almost the entire side of the rail. Augee said that these are often seen with the SWO2 clicky cap (and I happen to have a line on one). The thing that I am unsure of is whether or not I have the correct head. I think there were at least three types for this model. Any MOD 0 gurus want to help me out?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nkBzM0X0wnc/U0ySYYEkvcI/AAAAAAAA4ks/3TF0c8we0So/w1872-h1385-no/IMG_20140414_215834.jpg

View Quote

It's funny to me that you're concerned with getting the right head for the light but then you used a 10.5 barrel. Just giving you a hard time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:58:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FAB-10_Guy] [#41]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

It's funny to me that you're concerned with getting the right head for the light but then you used a 10.5 barrel. Just giving you a hard time.
View All Quotes

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nkBzM0X0wnc/U0ySYYEkvcI/AAAAAAAA4ks/3TF0c8we0So/w1872-h1385-no/IMG_20140414_215834.jpg

There were in fact a few LMT 10.5" barrels ordered/issued early on.  Maybe in small numbers, but they are "clone appropriate" for a Mod 0 clone.  

That head looks right to me.  I'm also in search of a SW02 cap, but at the prices they are going for (upwards of $150), and the fact that the design inherently introduces a LOT of resistance to the circuit and reduces performance of the light, I've elected to forego that option until one lands in my lap for a "reasonable" price  .
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:20:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: safes2small] [#42]
Originally Posted By FAB-10_Guy:

There were in fact a few LMT 10.5" barrels ordered/issued early on.  Maybe in small numbers, but they are "clone appropriate" for a Mod 0 clone.  

That head looks right to me.  I'm also in search of a SW02 cap, but at the prices they are going for (upwards of $150), and the fact that the design inherently introduces a LOT of resistance to the circuit and reduces performance of the light, I've elected to forego that option until one lands in my lap for a "reasonable" price  .
View All Quotes

Is the round or square body 962 more correct? I have both types. Also on the tape switch one plug is exposed metal and one has a rubber coating...
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By safes2small:
Is the round or square body 962 more correct? I have both types. Also on the tape switch one plug is exposed metal and one has a rubber coating...

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm151/safes2small/28AE8DCC-7A91-4CE9-9EF9-DFC7BEAF3F9A_zps2bcjpotv.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By safes2small:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm151/safes2small/28AE8DCC-7A91-4CE9-9EF9-DFC7BEAF3F9A_zps2bcjpotv.jpg
I have seen more "in the wild" pics with the square section. Specifically, with the pics of the VBSS version. I just am not certain as to which head is correct.

Re: the 10.5" barrel,  my 2+ years of research has yielded very strong arguments on both sides of the coin. If you choose to believe that some 10.5"s came out of CRANE (or were seen and handled at CRANE), there is a very reputable source on TOS (actually an industry parter employee of one of the companies that supplied parts for the Block I and II programs) who states that LMT 10.5" barrels were present and that he personally handled a few of them.

Other equally reputable sources have claimed that they were never used.

I think the 10.3/10.5" barrel length and LMT/Colt arguments aren't going away anytime soon.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Question for any of the .mil armorers or other folks in the know:

When Crane builds these various rifles and uppers, whether Mk18, CQBR, Mk12, etc, are the parts in the bins they grab from all Colt's, or do they include stuff from CMT, LMT, FN, or whoever else are part of the .mil supply chain? I get that new out of the wrapper rifles like the M4A1's and SOCOM variant would come from the factory with Colt's stampings everywhere (Or FN here in the future), but I was thinking in terms of "Cloning" whether things like BCGs, and other parts that break down the road would slowly be replaced with non-Colt's bits. Can someone clarify how the supply chain works for spares? Is it safe to say you can have a Colt's stripped upper and a CMT mil-spec BCG with the extractor upgrades and still be legit?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:10:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MallNinjaSK] [#45]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

When
Crane builds these various rifles and uppers, whether Mk18, CQBR, Mk12,
etc, are the parts in the bins they grab from all Colt's, or do they
include stuff from CMT, LMT, FN, or whoever else are part of the .mil
supply chain? I get that new out of the wrapper rifles like the M4A1's
and SOCOM variant would come from the factory with Colt's stampings
everywhere (Or FN here in the future), but I was thinking in terms of
"Cloning" whether things like BCGs, and other parts that break down the
road would slowly be replaced with non-Colt's bits. Can someone clarify
how the supply chain works for spares? Is it safe to say you can have a
Colt's stripped upper and a CMT mil-spec BCG with the extractor upgrades
and still be legit?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By MallNinjaSK:

Not sure about SOCOM/Crane but when we send stuff to CRT they use pretty much whatever they have on hand for some parts. When our barrels were gauged and came back the new barrels were Colt. I've seen buffers, stocks, etc. with different cage codes but the same NSN's. As far as a CMT BCG...never seen one, I guess it's possible.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MallNinjaSK:
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

When Crane builds these various rifles and uppers, whether Mk18, CQBR, Mk12, etc, are the parts in the bins they grab from all Colt's, or do they include stuff from CMT, LMT, FN, or whoever else are part of the .mil supply chain? I get that new out of the wrapper rifles like the M4A1's and SOCOM variant would come from the factory with Colt's stampings everywhere (Or FN here in the future), but I was thinking in terms of "Cloning" whether things like BCGs, and other parts that break down the road would slowly be replaced with non-Colt's bits. Can someone clarify how the supply chain works for spares? Is it safe to say you can have a Colt's stripped upper and a CMT mil-spec BCG with the extractor upgrades and still be legit?

Not sure about SOCOM/Crane but when we send stuff to CRT they use pretty much whatever they have on hand for some parts. When our barrels were gauged and came back the new barrels were Colt. I've seen buffers, stocks, etc. with different cage codes but the same NSN's. As far as a CMT BCG...never seen one, I guess it's possible.

That's what I'm wondering. Do the legitimate Mil-Spec suppliers that supply Colt also feed directly into the Big Green machine? I mean don't other companies supply Colt with raw parts, Colt QC's them, stamps them, and they go into the rifles?

The reason I ask is in building out a "balls to the wall" spec guide for the Mk12, I started to wonder about where some of the other parts came from. Crane assembled everything in-house, and across the various Clones mentioned above we've seen little things like teardrop FA's on some rifles, but not all. I'm not trying to ease the standard so to speak, but I'm sure it would help to those that are interested in going all out to know that maybe certain non-Colt stamped parts outside the COTS items in the package would be GTG. That, and as these rifles may have had small parts break from wear, like bolts, BCGs, gas tubes, sears, disconnectors, buffer tubes, etc, did they get replaced with Colt bits?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:54:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nameless_Hobo] [#47]
I have an "A" stamped BCG (I believe Advanced Ordnance Corps) BCG that I dug, new in wrapper,  out of a connex in Afghanistan. It was going to be throw away with a ton of other good gear.  I can't speak for the mk18/cqbr program, but subcontractor parts make it over seas as replacement parts for the "normal" army.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:18:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ECPrevatte] [#48]

Today has been so slow, so I made this while I was bored.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/n9RRss" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7253/13883750954_a4aba85267_b.jpg</a>

View Quote

I'm gonna call that the Beast Mode gun

#gohawks
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:43:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#50]

Originally Posted By Will816:

#gohawks
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Will816:

Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/n9RRss" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7253/13883750954_a4aba85267_b.jpg</a>

#gohawks

Page / 1574
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 22 of 1574)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top