User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 936 of 1568)
Page / 1568
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:57:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JSchell1309] [#1]
Edited for page ownage. Don't have many photos of the new pistol so here is the same one but with a M4A1 tan magazine. I need a shim kit to time the SF 4 prong. Anyone have a recommendation for their favorite kit that is in stock?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smitty_007:

The deal is one of two:
- Colt Upper and Colt BCG for $175
- Colt Upper, Colt BCG, and Colt Cage code CH or Lakota CH for $195
View Quote
Dammit, just sent them an email. That's a pretty good deal considering the upper and BCG sell for $130+$130 in the EE used all day. My original plan was to buy a used 6920 upper and part out the barrel. This seams easier in the long run.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:00:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JSchell1309:

Dammit, just sent them an email. That's a pretty good deal considering the upper and BCG sell for $130+$130 in the EE used all day. My original plan was to buy a used 6920 upper and part out the barrel. This seams easier in the long run.
View Quote
I was thinking about doing the same thing, but couldn’t pass this up!  Add a complete Lower from Brownell’s with discounts and you’ve got a Colt Upper, BCG, CH, and complete Lower for under $450.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:22:09 AM EDT
[#3]
@marriedMILSPEC556

Also, Fuck faux paint wear...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#4]
CQBR, it's what's for dinner........

That thing is niiiiice.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
Probably the best example CQ I have ever seen...perfection
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm digging the CAR stock on the CQBR.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AZJBT:
I'm digging the CAR stock on the CQBR.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/209294/IMG_6097-391078.JPG
View Quote
Looks awesome but has never worked for me as the CQBR is so front heavy, especially with a can thrown on.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Same for me outrider....looks awesome, just doesn't work well.

Got them both together.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:35:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#9]
Bought a new Insight M3X kit. Hooray for inadequate, incandescent powered lights that require you to remove the unit to replace the batteries. Since I shoot mine so little, I'm not even bothering to put batteries in this. #justforlooks

Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Surefire considers the shims wearable. If you call them, they will send you a shim kit and Rocksett for free if you ask nicely.

Make sure you ask for the spacer AND the shims, the spacers goes on first, then the shims but you do need both.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Roadblock:
Surefire considers the shims wearable. If you call them, they will send you a shim kit and Rocksett for free if you ask nicely.

Make sure you ask for the spacer AND the shims, the spacers goes on first, then the shims but you do need both.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up, I'll give them a call tomorrow. I do have the spacer and a couple shims but no combo to time it how I want. I noticed the shoulder on the threads is a nice angle with almost no radius, but the spacer will still be used.

Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Who's got the deals on the SF FDE RCs?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:

Who's got the deals on the SF FDE RCs?
View Quote
Arms Unlimited
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 2:02:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Question...

For you guys who have that Surefire SOCOM Trainer... Does it essentially do the same thing the Surefire Warden does?
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 2:50:05 AM EDT
[#15]
A lot of cool paint jobs in here.

In case anyone doesn't know how to make easy faux paint wear marks, a regular crayon will work fantasically well to apply where you want the "wear" at before you paint it and wipe off once it's cured.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 3:44:13 AM EDT
[#16]
JSchell: If you have an idea which shims you need, I have some extras you could have that were left over from installing my SF3P. Let me know and I'll see what I've got.

Originally Posted By DevJames:
A lot of cool paint jobs in here.

In case anyone doesn't know how to make easy faux paint wear marks, a regular crayon will work fantasically well to apply where you want the "wear" at before you paint it and wipe off once it's cured.
View Quote
Or you could always - you know - actually use the gun ;p. It'll look better and won't be fake. It doesn't really take that long for paint to start wearing with any kind of regular use. Even if it never gets a "beat to hell in Afghanistan" look, at least what wear you do have will be honest and look genuine. Fake wear is almost always obvious and usually overdone and/or in the wrong areas. It's kind of like putting fake rock rash or desert pinstripes on your Jeep so it looks like you go offroad :\.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:40:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bending_rodriguez] [#17]
If you want your paint to wear fast, DONT PREP the rifle for painting.  Wipe it down so it's dry but still has oils dripping out of the fcg pins, and all the other usual places, this won't allow the paint to adhere well.  Right off the bat it'll look fine, but very soon the paint in those areas will flake right off.  This will look very natural, because it isn't forced like scrubbing paint away from areas to show wear or every using that crayon idea.

When I did mine I prepped it really well.  So it has taken years for the wear to happen.  I wanted a good pint job that would last, but i understood that the lack of prepping would give you a way more battleworn look much faster.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys, I got a question if you'll don't mind. Those of you all that recently bought the colt lowers from Brownells for CQBR projects, are they legit LE6920s and good to go or commercial lowers? Just got the Colt upper from Shark now I'm looking for the lower to start my MK18Mod0.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:
Hey guys, I got a question if you'll don't mind. Those of you all that recently bought the colt lowers from Brownells for CQBR projects, are they legit LE6920s and good to go or commercial lowers? Just got the Colt upper from Shark now I'm looking for the lower to start my MK18Mod0.
View Quote
What do you mean when you say "Commercial"? I "legit" LE6920 would have a serial number prefix of "LE", these have a prefix of "CR" in most cases. Some were prefixed LE but I think most of those ran out and almost all of them shipping now are CR's. They do feature a Mil-Spec buffer tube, stock and an H buffer. Trigger is the same as the LE series.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#20]
What do you mean when you say "Commercial"? I "legit" LE6920 would have a serial number prefix of "LE", these have a prefix of "CR" in most cases. Some were prefixed LE but I think most of those ran out and almost all of them shipping now are CR's. They do feature a Mil-Spec buffer tube, stock and an H buffer. Trigger is the same as the LE series.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
As in, not expanse or civilian rifle lowers. But thanks, for the info.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 3:30:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#21]

View Quote
Well it's going to be a civilian lower either way, even with the LE SN or logo.... It's says colt and M4 carbine, so close enough. Only other difference between those and the old 6920 lowers is the QR code, but who cares?
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
A LE6920 technically is a civilian rifle. As to the parts, they appear to use standard 6920 parts; however, aesthetically these all seem to be lowers that likely wouldn't make it onto their complete, retail rifles. They might not be listed as blems or factory seconds, but most are - even for Colt. Basically, if you don't mind a shitty rollmark, possible chatter marks (one I received had noticeable chatter marks on the mag well by the rollmark) or strange machining choices (another had the safety stop on one side milled 90% off and the other side had the usual milled bump), then go for it. They're functional and they aren't Expanse lowers, but they aren't factory firsts, either. If I had to guess, they're bastard Colt children that were tossed into a box because they didn't make the cut for complete rifles; when whatever dusty back room had a big enough pile, they sold them off.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#23]
We’re there any MK18s made with the KAC RAS freedloat carbine length rail?
I have the rail and need to build it into something.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 3:47:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#24]
Well, there is this guy:

And this one:

I don't think KAC FF RAS were ever widely used or officially issued; I'd guess they were unit purchases or something along those lines, but I'm not entirely sure.

ETA: Nevermind, Larue rails as pointed out.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By krdt:
Well, there is this guy:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/292/20358419891_c23c97fd7a_o.jpg

And this one:

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/host/Kevshooting.jpg

I don't think KAC FF RAS were ever widely used or officially issued; I'd guess they were unit purchases or something along those lines, but I'm not entirely sure.
View Quote
Those appear to be Larue rails.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 4:07:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#26]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:
View All Quotes
Well, there is this guy:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/292/20358419891_c23c97fd7a_o.jpg

And this one:

Yeppers. The KAC lock rings are quite a bit different than those Larue ones. There are those pics of dude with the epic beard and the block 1.5 CQBR with B.E.M.249F, Elcan, and KAC FF RAS. Highly doubt any KAC FF RAS were used on the Mk18 Mod 0 tho, those guns were pretty parts specific.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Larue 7" correct now?
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#28]
A LE6920 technically is a civilian rifle. As to the parts, they appear to use standard 6920 parts; however, aesthetically these all seem to be lowers that likely wouldn't make it onto their complete, retail rifles. They might not be listed as blems or factory seconds, but most are - even for Colt. Basically, if you don't mind a shitty rollmark, possible chatter marks (one I received had noticeable chatter marks on the mag well by the rollmark) or strange machining choices (another had the safety stop on one side milled 90% off and the other side had the usual milled bump), then go for it. They're functional and they aren't Expanse lowers, but they aren't factory firsts, either. If I had to guess, they're bastard Colt children that were tossed into a box because they didn't make the cut for complete rifles; when whatever dusty back room had a big enough pile, they sold them off.
View All Quotes
Oh ok.  Yeah that's what I figured, read your posts about the ones you got and some other members had the same/similar issues.

Originally Posted By aaron580:

Well it's going to be a civilian lower either way, even with the LE SN or logo.... It's says colt and M4 carbine, so close enough. Only other difference between those and the old 6920 lowers is the QR code, but who cares?
Thanks for that info.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm seeing a few RIS II rails in the EE but they arent moving.  These not the fire anymore!
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:12:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#30]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Yeppers. The KAC lock rings are quite a bit different than those Larue ones. There are those pics of dude with the epic beard and the block 1.5 CQBR with B.E.M.249F, Elcan, and KAC FF RAS. Highly doubt any KAC FF RAS were used on the Mk18 Mod 0 tho, those guns were pretty parts specific.
Crap. Yeah, you're both right. The bottom one has a KAC rail panel, that should count for something, lol. Gonna edit the above post.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
Good memory.

Link Posted: 12/15/2017 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I knew about the Larue rails, just not sure on the KAC one.

I might just build a MK18 with it anyway since it has been used before, just not in the excess
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 12:55:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#33]
Opps...
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 12:57:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By aaron580:

View Quote
It is not an expanse lower... By civilian if you mean "commercial", no it's not commercial, its Mil-Spec...
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:05:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#35]
Found something you all may be interested in knowing today.  I've only had from Crane cut down Colt 14.5" Gov't profile barrels to 10.3" in the past.  Seems the 10th SFGA armorer had these in the room.  Brand new FN 10.3" SOCOM profile barrels.  These are not cut down as you can see there are no FSB taper pin cuts in the barrel, barrel is dimpled and roll marks on barrel.  And if I remember I'll try and grab the port diameter tomorrow.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Have a Merry Christmas!

CD
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Found something you all may be interested in knowing today.  I've only had from Crane cut down Colt 14.5" Gov't profile barrels to 10.3" in the past.  Seems the 10th SFGA armorer had these in the room.  Brand new FN 10.3" SOCOM profile barrels.  These are not cut down as you can see there are no FSB taper pin cuts in the barrel, barrel is dimpled and roll marks on barrel.  And if I remember I'll try and grab the port diameter tomorrow.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4645_rz-392541.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4646_rz-392542.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4647_rz-392543.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4648_rz-392544.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4649_rz-392545.JPG

Have a Merry Christmas!

CD
View Quote
Wow! SOCOM profile too!

@pezboytate I know you'd be interested to see this.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Have a Merry Christmas!

CD
View Quote
Thanks for sharing. Do you know where they came from? Crane, COTS?
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Wow! SOCOM profile too!

View All Quotes

Have a Merry Christmas!

CD
Wow! SOCOM profile too!

Yeah, definitely interesting.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

Thanks for sharing. Do you know where they came from? Crane, COTS?
View Quote
Not Crane, he just ordered these from supply.

CD
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I knew they existed!
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 4:28:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevieJ309] [#41]
It's always a good day when a CQBR is born. FDE M300 and Gear Sector mount on order. Not sure what I'll do about a grip. Peasant 3 prong is just a place holder until I find a good deal on a 4 prong.

Special thanks to @Stoner25mkiv for his badass barrel nut wrench.

Pardon the awesome garage floor photo.

Link Posted: 12/16/2017 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
It's always a good day when a CQBR is born. FDE M300 and Gear Sector mount on order. Not sure what I'll do about a grip. Peasant 3 prong is just a place holder until I find a good deal on a 4 prong.

Special thanks to @Stoner25mkiv for his badass barrel nut wrench.

Pardon the awesome garage floor photo.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4688/38212891975_0eb737d0cf_b.jpg
View Quote
Everything looks great...

except for the Geissele charging handle!
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
I shoot rifles left handed so it's staying.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#44]
But you do have to admit, that CH does compliment the EXPS quite nicely.

Looks great man. I've been thinking about straying from the gas buster myself. I miss the pull of my BCM ambi mod 44, felt quite a bit more ergonomic than the PRI to me. I might have to go with a Raptor one of these days
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes

Oh you know someone has a Geissele charging handle on their issued gun somewhere.  It's just a matter of time before a picture of one in the wild pops up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#46]
But you do have to admit, that CH does compliment the EXPS quite nicely.

Looks great man. I've been thinking about straying from the gas buster myself. I miss the pull of my BCM ambi mod 44, felt quite a bit more ergonomic than the PRI to me. I might have to go with a Raptor one of these days
View Quote
Yeah, I've actually been thinking the same thing lately. I love my FDE GB, but every time I use the BCM Mod 44, it just feels so much more solid and comfortable to use. I almost swapped in a Mod 44, but I just couldn't quite bring myself to give up the FDE GB.

I suppose the Raptor would be a good compromise; might have to give one of those a shot.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#47]

My favorite AR, with a mod 0 setup close behind lol.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks good... that FDE ACOG is pretty shnazzy. My two favorite as well - CQBR first, Mod 0 second, lol.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:14:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#49]

And this one:

View Quote
Holy Crap that's KevinB.  It's been a long time since I've seen that pic.

I'm pretty sure that would not technically be a Mk18.  I believe he was Contracting at that point and he's Canadian to begin with.  Unless Crane supplied Contractors.....  I don't know if he worked for Blackwater or who it was.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:28:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#50]
Originally Posted By JJREA:

I'm pretty sure that would not technically be a Mk18.  I believe he was Contracting at that point and he's Canadian to begin with.  Unless Crane supplied Contractors.....  I don't know if he worked for Blackwater or who it was.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JJREA:

And this one:

Yeah, that whole post was a clusterfuck on my part, lol. I vaguely recalled seeing some FF carbine length rails on Mk18'esque guns and had completely forgotten about the Larue rails. I googled "Mk18 CQBR KAC FF RAS", those popped up and I didn't look closely enough before posting.

I actually had to host that image myself because it's on shitbucket account.
Page / 1568
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 936 of 1568)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top