Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2024 9:47:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pavil58ar]
A few weeks ago I found that I had enough odds and ends around to assemble an upper but no upper. I promptly took care of the latter issue with an upper receiver from Black Rifle Depot. I shopped for price only and they had the best prices a week ago.

I also have a Spike's Tactical .22LR adapter so that will be the BCG and I'll dedicate the rifle to .22LR. Rear sight is a Matech, the real thing I think but it's been in the junque' box for some years now. Barrel nut, weld-spring, and circlip were also just gathering dust.

Gas tube was pinned to a low profile gas block but I wanted to use the railed one shown in the pictures. The quad rail gas block, yet another odd-ball item picked up whenever. Handguard has been purchased and it's a Magpul MOE.

The barrel is a Ballistic Advantage that I tried to sell in the EE but had no nibbles so that along with a Noveske 'Flaming Pig' attachement rounded out things.  Twist is 1:7 NATO chambered in 5.56. Oh, 14.5 inches long. As I have an SBR stamp no worries there.

Nothing special but shows what you can assemble after years of messing with these rifles. Fun way to spend the afternoon too.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I came across a barrel nut and a FSB in my stuff.......yep.......I know the pain.

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm doing a 22LR build from spare parts myself...got a slightly damaged upper that will be usable for 22LR, and a really nice Spikes barrel with a damaged barrel extension that will still work with the 22LR conversion kit.

Not ready for pictures just yet but will post everything once I get more done on it.

Have fun with the build!
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Soon you will be in meetings and on a 12 step program........

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#4]
1:7" twist for a dedicated .22 LR?  Post some groups...
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]
BKings had stripped uppers even cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:37:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

And... watch for the possibility of the 22LR bullets spinning apart from the 1n7 twist.
View Quote

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm here?  
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]
As to the twist rate it is what I had. If it is too much, I did zero research, I'll use it for 5.56. A BCG is all I'd need. Or heck, maybe even sell the whole thing since I've got another .22 in the AR format.

Thanks for the warning on the 1:7 and .22lr. I guess I need to do some reading.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By pavil58ar:
As to the twist rate it is what I had. If it is too much, I did zero research, I'll use it for 5.56. A BCG is all I'd need. Or heck, maybe even sell the whole thing since I've got another .22 in the AR format.

Thanks for the warning on the 1:7 and .22lr. I guess I need to do some reading.
View Quote

It just depends on what you want from it.  If just ringing steel @ 25 yards and in, it will be fine.  If you want to headshoot tree rats @ 50 yards you will be left wanting
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]
99% finished. Handguards bought here from the EE. I like the gray for a change.

I guess I need a forward assist assembly and a dust cover. I have the cover but no pin or spring. No rush on either one.

I also used a Bushnell red dot that I found in the sock drawer and removed the MATECH.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're just using it as a .22 you don't need the FA, nor really the dust cover.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you install a spacer between the handguard cap and gas block?
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 12:54:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pavil58ar] [#13]
Originally Posted By thatwasthenthisisnow:
Did you install a spacer between the handguard cap and gas block?
View Quote

I did. I had a spare round one in the junk box. EDIT: Maybe I misunderstood what you meant. I used a round handguard cap only. BBL-HG Cap-Gas Block.

Finished the process yesterday. I opted to go ahead and get the forward assist and the ejection port cover from Damage Industries. And I bought a BCG instead of using the Spikes Tactical .22 conversion group. Everything else was either on hand or from EE or the online folks. If you don't count all the parts I had squirreled away I think I spent about 150-dollars. Doesn't matter as it was a fun and simple project.

Hmmm...I see I have a Surefire CAMFA556K flash hider that needs a barrel...
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 10:56:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RD20] [#14]
Originally Posted By pavil58ar:
A few weeks ago I found that I had enough odds and ends around to assemble an upper but no upper. I promptly took care of the latter issue with an upper receiver from Black Rifle Depot. I shopped for price only and they had the best prices a week ago.

I also have a Spike's Tactical .22LR adapter so that will be the BCG and I'll dedicate the rifle to .22LR. Rear sight is a Matech, the real thing I think but it's been in the junque' box for some years now. Barrel nut, weld-spring, and circlip were also just gathering dust.

Gas tube was pinned to a low profile gas block but I wanted to use the railed one shown in the pictures. The quad rail gas block, yet another odd-ball item picked up whenever. Handguard has been purchased and it's a Magpul MOE.

The barrel is a Ballistic Advantage that I tried to sell in the EE but had no nibbles so that along with a Noveske 'Flaming Pig' attachement rounded out things.  Twist is 1:7 NATO chambered in 5.56. Oh, 14.5 inches long. As I have an SBR stamp no worries there.

Nothing special but shows what you can assemble after years of messing with these rifles. Fun way to spend the afternoon too.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49488/20240911_212311_2_jpg-3319833.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49488/20240911_212241_2_jpg-3319834.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49488/20240911_212248_2_jpg-3319836.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for sharing.
22lr from my 16" 1:7 does about .5 moa at 25 yards.
Some may call bs, but I can get tight groups if I do my part and take it seriously.
I don't necessarily think it would be a 2 moa at 100 yards, but I wouldn't be shocked if it were. I haven't tested it that far.
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#15]
You’ve inspired me to take some inventory and see if there’s enough lying around to round out a new rifle.

Cool build.
Link Posted: 9/29/2024 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Good work OP.

It only takes a small amount of spare parts for me to get my gun building wheels going.

I had a spare Larue 12.0 handguard hanging around for a while and when I came upon some Centurion barrels for $140, well you can imagine the rest of the story.

This seemed to coincide with my 45th birthday as well, so I informed Mrs. M4ger that I was going to build another rifle

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Seed parts and EE deals. Never fails.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Rezarf2:
You’ve inspired me to take some inventory and see if there’s enough lying around to round out a new rifle.

Cool build.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2456373_That-Every-Man-Be-Armed-2-0.html
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#19]
love it when there are always parts around to assemble another one :)
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:18:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#20]
Half MOA at 25 yards.  I don’t think so.  1 MOA at 100 yards is a hair over an inch.  1 MOA at 200 yards is a bit over 2 inches.  Conversely, 1 MOA at 50 yards is ½ inch, and ¼ inch at 25 yards.  You’re saying your rifle shoots ½ MOA at 25 yards?  That would be ⅛ inch center to center, or basically a one hole group.  Not buying that.  Unless you meant ½ inch at 25 yards which would be 2 MOA.  THAT I’ll believe.
Link Posted: Today 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I don’t know how mine will group yet, just had time to check for function with the conversion kit.

Once I get the FF rail set up properly and have it scoped, I’ll check the grouping.

I really do hope it shoots at least acceptably as some of its made from salvaged parts that can’t be used with full pressure 5.56 NATO.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top