BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2024 7:46:09 PM EDT
Hello all, let me introduce myself. I'm Tim, been a gun owner and in the hobby for around 6 years, since I moved from the commie state of NJ to SC.

I'm looking to build my first AR from scratch. I currently own 3 PSA rifles, one being a Jakl.

This one I'm looking to build on the higher end. I scored from the Geiselle blem sale, and would like to continue with descent parts for this build.

I'm currently in it with this:

-Geissele stripped lower
-Geissele Mk4 13.5" rail
-Geissele upper receiver
-Geissele buffer tube
- Geiselle lower parts kit
- Noveske BCG
- Noveske dust cover

I guess my main concern is the barrel and gas system.

I will be honest, I am not a good enough shot to notice the difference between a $200 barrel or a $600 barrel.

I am looking for something mid tier, CHF, as well as chrome lined.

I'm thinking either Geiselle, Criterion, or Centurion.

Only issue is, Criterion isnt CHF as well as a 3-5 month wait.

Centurion only has the light weight models available.

I guess my re question is, what do you suggest for longevity, and accurate enough to keep on target well, and will last.

Gas blocks, I want something adjustable because at some point I may run a can. Only issue is Geissele tends to have a narrow rail. The RifleSpeed adjustable is awesome, but pricey. So suggestions on a good gas block that will fit a Geiselle rail system.

Any and all help is much appreciated!! Thank you

Link Posted: 8/4/2024 9:16:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#1]
Any of those barrels should do fine for you. You don't need to get hung up on CHF. If you're looking to go 16" and avoid pinning or NFA, that light weight centurion might be perfect. It depends on your intended use, but if extended high rate of fire isn't the plan, you'll enjoy the light profile.
Edit: Also, a lot of barrels are gassed so that they are comfortable with/without a can. Don't assume you need an adjustable gas block. You can throw the can on after you get it and decide if you need to cut gas then. The BRT tube is a great way to do this. It's not adjustable, but simply cuts the port to the size you want.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm probably going to go 14.5" and run a brace.

So light weight wouldn't be a bad option?

Also good to know about the AGB.

I may bite the bullet and just go Geiselle for a barrel as well.

Pretty much building a glorified super duty
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
9 hole reviews recently did a video on 3 g rifles. All were good shooters.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
Brownells 14.7 or 16" CHF chrome-lined FN barrels (carbine gas only) $147.49  with code SUMMER15
https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-barrels-parts/ar-15m16-5.56x45mm-cold-hammer-forged-barrels/?sku=100700160
View Quote

This was posted in one of the deals threads… lots of good reviews over the years on the FN CHF barrels.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shouldabeenaproudboy:
I'm probably going to go 14.5" and run a brace.

So light weight wouldn't be a bad option?

Also good to know about the AGB.

I may bite the bullet and just go Geiselle for a barrel as well.

Pretty much building a glorified super duty
View Quote

Don’t run a brace with a 14.5”… pin and weld or go 16
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 10:01:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#6]
If you want to go 14.5, I'd research suppressors, decide who you like and have a compatible mount pinned to 16. Then you're set when you decide to get a can and you don't have to mess with braces. If you want to go 12.5 and not do the SBR thing, I get it. 14.5? I'd just pin it. But, if a suppressor is an option down the road, take the time to decide what you want now and pin an appropriate MD.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]
To be honest, I like the length of my Jakl. It's 13.7" pin and welded.

With the 13.5" hand guard I got, I figured I'd need to go 14.5" with the barrel so it will run a can down the road without the handguard being an issue.

Link Posted: 8/4/2024 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Honestly, you’d probably do just fine with a BA Hanson barrel especially since they already come with gas blocks.

You’re not going to get the benefits from match grade barrels without shooting match grade ammunition.

And the mid tier barrels like BA are going to still shoot MOA or better with match ammo as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing wrong with a 14.5. I like them and agree that it fits the handguard length. I'd pin that shit though and skip the brace. I have 2 14.5s on SBR lowers and all I can think is that I need to pin them and repurpose the lowers. Just seems like a waste.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmm, not a bad deal.

I have a question, excuse the newb lol.

I noticed it only comes in Carbine, while the Geiselle and criterion come in mid length.

What's the difference? Also, what does the "government" classification mean?
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 10:21:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#11]
Hmm, not a bad deal.

I have a question, excuse the newb lol.

I noticed it only comes in Carbine, while the Geiselle and criterion come in mid length.

What's the difference? Also, what does the "government" classification mean?
View Quote
Carbine gas is 7" and Mid length is 9". Mid length often feels smoother shooting that carbine, but I believe gas port size has just as much to do with that feel as gas system length.
Government is the profile of the barrel and means all the barrel's meat/weight is forward of the gas journal, opposite of where it should be. It is a really old spec and every modern barrel profile has the weight towards the chamber and tapers towards the threads.

Link Posted: 8/5/2024 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Alright, sweet. Thank you for the info!
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 6:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shouldabeenaproudboy] [#13]
So there's a 14.5" Noveske on reddit for a good price. Should I pull the trigger?

Pinned gas block included.

Is stainless as durable as CHF?

All brand new
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 9:53:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#14]
So there's a 14.5" Noveske on reddit for a good price. Should I pull the trigger?

Pinned gas block included.

Is stainless as durable as CHF?

All brand new
View Quote
Noveske barrels are nice. Stainless is not known to be as durable as CHF. I don't think it's even close actually. Stainless barrels are typically geared towards accuracy focused builds.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Crieterian has several chrome lined very accurate barrel choices..they are also beating estimated delivery times. I just got one in way ahead of the time they said it would arrive .
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn, wish I would have known this. Lol.

I went ahead and got a Noveske Afghan 14.5
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 12:49:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shouldabeenaproudboy] [#18]
I appreciate the honest answer.

Mainly all I use is AAC ammo, because like you said it's cheap. Typically the 77grain otm.

I went ahead and got the Noveske Afghan 14.5 stainless, it was a great price and I've heard nothing bad about Noveske.

I just questioned the stainless over the CHF, mainly because everyone I have talked to has recommended a chrome lined CHF barrel.

I'm hoping the stainless one will actually show me my own mistakes, so that I can't blame it on a faulty/cheap part.

Also part of the reason I want to build a higher end rifle with quality parts.
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#19]
You'd likely be fine with a Faxon Gunner barrel.

I put a Centurion Arms barrel on my 14.5" P&W w/SOCOM MINI2 can. Tack driver.
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I appreciate the honest answer.

Mainly all I use is AAC ammo, because like you said it's cheap. Typically the 77grain otm.

I went ahead and got the Noveske Afghan 14.5 stainless, it was a great price and I've heard nothing bad about Noveske.

I just questioned the stainless over the CHF, mainly because everyone I have talked to has recommended a chrome lined CHF barrel.

I'm hoping the stainless one will actually show me my own mistakes, so that I can't blame it on a faulty/cheap part.

Also part of the reason I want to build a higher end rifle with quality parts.
View Quote
It'll serve you well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#21]
What's a good Buffer/Spring combo?

Plan on using a can in the future, so not sure which weight to get until then.

Are the Geiselle super springs worth it? Should I go flat?
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#22]
What's a good Buffer/Spring combo?

Plan on using a can in the future, so not sure which weight to get until then.

Are the Geiselle super springs worth it? Should I go flat?
View Quote

What is your set up? No way to answer without knowing what you're running
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#23]
For over a decade I always just used a basic carbine spring and carbine or H buffer. Since getting into suppressors all my 5.56 guns are running a Geissele Super 42 and H2 or H3. Couldn't tell you if I am seeing a benefit over a standard spring, but they are nice setups. My 300 is running a flat spring, but it is an LWRC Ultra Compact stock kit, so I have to run their spring and buffer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 2:00:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Phobby] [#24]
Milspec spring and buffer work perfectly fine. Never seen one built right that needed tuning to shoot with or without a suppressor.
It’s usually something not right that sends one down the buffer and spring tuning rabbit hole. =bad ammo

A correct barrel gas port size to the caliber will do all the gas regulation needed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Currently have the parts to build with a Noveske BCG, 14.5" Noveske Afghan barrel. Geissele carbine length buffer toob.  Going to plan on using a single stage Geissele trigger if that matters.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 2:47:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fatguy7814] [#26]
Currently have the parts to build with a Noveske BCG, 14.5" Noveske Afghan barrel. Geissele carbine length buffer toob.  Going to plan on using a single stage Geissele trigger if that matters.
View Quote

single stage triggers suck (IMO)

Geissele SSA-EX = best trigger ever.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By fatguy7814:

View Quote

Entirely subjective.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
I'm with him. The SSP is supposed to be nice though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Stowe:

Entirely subjective.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Entirely subjective.

It is very subjective and trigger debates will go on forever.

But, the vast majority of shooters do prefer 2 stage triggers over single stage.

And I believe the SSA-EX is the best trigger on the market.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a SSA-E in my Jakl, love it. But this build I was going to look into a single stage trigger for faster shots
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#31]
How does "timing" work when installing a muzzle device?

Is it critical? What do I need to do?
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#32]
How does "timing" work when installing a muzzle device?

Is it critical? What do I need to do?
View Quote

Which device?
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I haven't decided yet tbh.

Looking for one that will work with an array of suppressors, rather than just one brand.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I haven't decided yet tbh.

Looking for one that will work with an array of suppressors, rather than just one brand.
View Quote

Most breaks and comps have to be timed… ports are designed to direct gases in a certain direction… timing is making sure the ports are lined up in that proper direction. The muzzle device with come with a shim set that you will use to get them lined up in proper orientation, just takes a few times of putting it on and taking off and trying the different shims sets to get it… very simple.

But most flash hiders don’t require timing. Just thread on and go to town.

Depending on which brand you go with, they will come with the directions and it’s very simple. Assuming you have the proper tools to secure the barrel to be torquing on it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, I have a vise, lol. Guessing I could use it, with some nylon or rubber like jaw protectors.

As long as it will come with some kind of instruction, that works. I've never had to do it before and don't want to screw anything up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, I have a vise, lol. Guessing I could use it, with some nylon or rubber like jaw protectors.

As long as it will come with some kind of instruction, that works. I've never had to do it before and don't want to screw anything up.
View Quote

What were you planning on using to install the barrel to the receiver?

Clamshell devices work pretty good for barrel installs but not so good for muzzle device installations.

I’ve been using a Geissele reaction rod for years for both without issue. But several companies have come out with a newer style such as the Midwest Industries upper receiver rod that is slightly better than the Geissele one. If you’re going to be getting into AR building, I recommend picking a variant of the Midwest Industries one up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Forgive my ignorance and noob-ness, but doesn't the barrel fit in the receiver, barrel nut on, and torque?

I figured in a vise, you install the barrel, hand tighten the barrel nut, and give her a torque with a standard torque wrench.

Same with a muzzle device, throw on a crush washer, fow instruction on timing, and torque?

Link Posted: 8/11/2024 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Forgive my ignorance and noob-ness, but doesn't the barrel fit in the receiver, barrel nut on, and torque?

I figured in a vise, you install the barrel, hand tighten the barrel nut, and give her a torque with a standard torque wrench.

Same with a muzzle device, throw on a crush washer, fow instruction on timing, and torque?

View Quote

Ah, after further reading it makes sense. Not a bad investment, even if I only use it a handful of times.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 2:56:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fatguy7814] [#39]
Yeah, pick you up an upper rod of some kind and watch some videos.

It’s all very easy if you have the right tools… very hard with the wrong tools and you take a chance of messing up some expensive parts.

And if you only use it a couple times, you can always sell the rod.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Messed around and got the Geissele rod and barrel wrench with the save12 code on primary arms.

$110 shipped 👌
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Messed around and got the Geissele rod and barrel wrench with the save12 code on primary arms.

$110 shipped 👌
View Quote

Good purchase.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#42]
So, I am a jackass.

Barrel came in today, so I decided to take it up the gun shop by the house and have them pin the gas block and gas tube for me so I don't screw it up.

Only thing is, out of excitement and rushing to throw this thing together, I FORGOT THE FUCKING BARREL NUT.

Now I have a pinned gas block on the barrel, and the Geissele nut isn't fitting over either end.

The Allen screw on the bottom won't do anything, as the pin is holding the block on.

I'm screwed huh?

Might as well bring it back, and have them take the block off, slide the barrel nut on and re-assemble.

Good news is, I bought a NOX muzzle device while I was there, so I'll have them put it on and time it as well.

2 steps what I thought was forward in pure excitement, 3 steps back for being a dumbass.

Ah well
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#43]
So, I am a jackass.

Barrel came in today, so I decided to take it up the gun shop by the house and have them pin the gas block and gas tube for me so I don't screw it up.

Only thing is, out of excitement and rushing to throw this thing together, I FORGOT THE FUCKING BARREL NUT.

Now I have a pinned gas block on the barrel, and the Geissele nut isn't fitting over either end.

The Allen screw on the bottom won't do anything, as the pin is holding the block on.

I'm screwed huh?

Might as well bring it back, and have them take the block off, slide the barrel nut on and re-assemble.

Good news is, I bought a NOX muzzle device while I was there, so I'll have them put it on and time it as well.

2 steps what I thought was forward in pure excitement, 3 steps back for being a dumbass.

Ah well
View Quote

You can drive the pin out and loosen the set screws to remove the gas blocks… or just let them do it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I was going to try and do it myself. Now that I got that reaction rod, I can keep the barrel steady while driving the pin back out. I'm just afraid of screwing something up. Good thing I don't have to fool with the gas tube again though
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quick question in case I get creative tomorrow and get this pin out.

My muzzle device came with 3 shims I believe. How many do I need to "time" the device properly? I'm guessing the ports need to be on top, a long each side at a 45.

Link Posted: 8/18/2024 12:09:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#46]
You need however many it takes. Just keep adding and subtracting, switching thicknesses till you get there. It's annoying, but you'll find the combo
Edit: 3 shims? That's it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 6:17:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fatguy7814] [#47]
You need however many it takes. Just keep adding and subtracting, switching thicknesses till you get there. It's annoying, but you'll find the combo
View Quote

There’s 3 different sized shims… multiples is each little pouch.

Since you have the 9 port Nox you have it figured out… ports on top and sides.

All you do is… get your barrel nut and gas block on properly first…. Then, put the upper on the reaction rod that is securely tightened in a vice and thread the Nox on hand tight and see where the top ports line up in relation to the top of your upper.

You’re going to want it to stop about 5-10 degrees before being perfectly aligned… this allows you that much play to put a wrench on it and snug it up properly. If it stops at 5-10 degrees after hand tightening without any shims, congratulations you got lucky and didn’t need any shims.
Just torque it done until it lines up properly and go shoot.

More than likely you’ll have to thread it off and on about a dozen times, swapping out shim combinations, until you get it to land just right. Just take your time and it’s pretty simple.

When in doubt, check out a YouTube video.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Yeah, there's only 3 in the little bag they gave me
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#49]

All you do is… get your barrel nut and gas block on properly first…. Then, put the upper on the reaction rod that is securely tightened in a vice and thread the Nox on hand tight and see where the top ports line up in relation to the top of your upper.

You’re going to want it to stop about 5-10 degrees before being perfectly aligned… this allows you that much play to put a wrench on it and snug it up properly. If it stops at 5-10 degrees after hand tightening without any shims, congratulations you got lucky and didn’t need any shims.

More than likely you’ll have to thread it off and on about a dozen times, swapping out shim combinations, until you get it to land just right. Just take your time and it’s pretty simple.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Appreciate the help 🤙

I'm fixing to get a propane torch today and try to heat the gas block to knock this pin loose.

Guy at the gun shop either way Thor himself, or used a bamfh.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Damn, wish I would have known this. Lol.

I went ahead and got a Noveske Afghan 14.5
View Quote

It's a great barrel and will last a long time.

Stainless is fine. Don't think that just because it last slightly less than other barrels that it's going to immediately burn up on you. At a minimum you'll be able to put 4k worth of ammo through it before it's toast. Which makes the price of a barrel seem cheap.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top