BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 127
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Who is the go to for a barrel chop and profile for a RECCE build lately? Seems both D.Wilson and Adco are not offering it now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the Corncob still the only way for a delta clone?  I finally have my S&B short dot. But no corn cob as of now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By awayteamriker:
Who is the go to for a barrel chop and profile for a RECCE build lately? Seems both D.Wilson and Adco are not offering it now.
View Quote

Well that sucks. I'd hate to turn my AEM5 into a paper weight if no one does the appropriate barrel work anymore.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been thinking about getting one of these to make it simple

15.1" Thoroughbred Armament Company RECCE Starter Kit

They sell the barrels individually too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By McCarron:
I've been thinking about getting one of these to make it simple

15.1" Thoroughbred Armament Company RECCE Starter Kit

They sell the barrels individually too.
View Quote

That's not a bad backup, but I was going to get a 416 chopped for the AEM5. Not anytime soon but maybe this time next year.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Were there previous issues with lilja 17in recon barrels having gaped gas ports? Mine is gauging .091, supposed to be .080
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By awayteamriker:
View Quote

Anyone know why they stopped? They were the go to’s for anything AE.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

Anyone know why they stopped? They were the go to’s for anything AE.
View Quote

D.Wilson mentioned the back and forth between himself and the customer for one job was too time consuming.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:41:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AWHAILYEAH] [#9]
Originally Posted By Omega9000:

D.Wilson mentioned the back and forth between himself and the customer for one job was too time consuming.
View Quote

It only takes one dumbass to fuck it up for the likes................  @bigbore is ADCO out the bidness too??
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:26:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#10]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:58:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#11]
Originally Posted By bigbore:

I don't blame him a bit.  Customers today are overwhelmingly whiny bitches who treat every interaction like a social media post.   My last google review is from one of those whiny bitches complaining that we sent his barrel back without any work being done.  His cheap ass barrel was so off center there was no way we were going to put a contour on it for an AE can.   Not only is the world full of whiny bitches, but they are cheap fuckers as well.  The AR market is flooded with cheap garbage barrels.  We changed the AE contour service requirements to read that we only will contour and install a collar on barrels that we threaded at the same time.  Maybe 3 out of 10 people read the directions.  Most will send in a threaded barrel that is the length they want anyhow.  They cry when we tell them it has to be shortened.

People need to remember when the MK12 with the 12th model was released, it was Douglas barrel contoured and threaded by Gene Barnett. In that configuration for the military, everything is ideal.  87% of the buyers today are buying cheap shit so they look good on Instagram.

Check this cheap ass barrel out.  The threads are cut concentric to the bore.  The bore is .021 off center from the OD.  Do you know what a concentric to the threads .010 shoulder looks like barrel that is .021 off center from the OD?  

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EPsf_6nyyAQ

Some are so off center you actually see the pin bouncing up and down.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/fjr1-ES1laQ

But yes, we are still doing the work for now- https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithing/contouring/contour-allen-engineering-collar/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don't blame him a bit.  Customers today are overwhelmingly whiny bitches who treat every interaction like a social media post.   My last google review is from one of those whiny bitches complaining that we sent his barrel back without any work being done.  His cheap ass barrel was so off center there was no way we were going to put a contour on it for an AE can.   Not only is the world full of whiny bitches, but they are cheap fuckers as well.  The AR market is flooded with cheap garbage barrels.  We changed the AE contour service requirements to read that we only will contour and install a collar on barrels that we threaded at the same time.  Maybe 3 out of 10 people read the directions.  Most will send in a threaded barrel that is the length they want anyhow.  They cry when we tell them it has to be shortened.

People need to remember when the MK12 with the 12th model was released, it was Douglas barrel contoured and threaded by Gene Barnett. In that configuration for the military, everything is ideal.  87% of the buyers today are buying cheap shit so they look good on Instagram.

Check this cheap ass barrel out.  The threads are cut concentric to the bore.  The bore is .021 off center from the OD.  Do you know what a concentric to the threads .010 shoulder looks like barrel that is .021 off center from the OD?  

But yes, we are still doing the work for now- https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithing/contouring/contour-allen-engineering-collar/

Attachment Attached File

No way would I open up a firearm related business now days. Years ago I had an opportunity to invest into an AR manfacture local to me. I say manufacturer but really more of a parts assembler who made their own billet uppers and lowers. Anyways, I thought about it for half of a second before I remembered how much of a pain in the ass some people are. I passed. I am not built for customer service. Now days it is even worse. I read a post on here the other day from a guy who after shooting his pistol it was showing wear. He seemed to think that because it was $1,200 pistol it shouldn’t show wear. He was wanting to send it back to the manufacture to be refinished. Gotta look right for the gram I guess.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#12]

The time and labor it takes to get to the point to realize your garbage barrel cant be contoured for an AE collar is not free.  

View Quote

Thanks for clarifying. Could you mitigate these issues by only accepting AE collar work to a select few barrel manufacturers?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#14]

The time and labor it takes to get to the point to realize your garbage barrel cant be contoured for an AE collar is not free.  

View Quote

@bigbore so are ya doing contours and cut'n threads or ya out big dawg??
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:51:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#15]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#16]

We're doing them every day.   If you want a fast turnaround follow directions!  

Here's a list of do's and dont's

If you want it cut "at the mark on the barrel" - Tell us if that's the shoulder or the muzzle.
If you want it cut "at the masking tape on the barrel" - Tell us at which end and if that indicates the shoulder or the muzzle.

Don't tell us you want the collar shoulder close to the end of the rail.  YOU mark the barrel to show us were the you want the collar. And don't send all the parts and expect us to assemble it, disassemble it to figure out where you want the collar for free - we will, but you have to order the disassemble and reassemble services.
Don't tell us you want the can close to the rail then get pissed when your barrel comes back 15 3/4" long.  

My machinist is a machinist. He's not a member of ARFCOM, he doesn't have an instagraam. He doesn't know what something is supposed to look like after it's assembled.  He just does the machine work.

Think about what you order so you don't get back what you asked for instead of what you wanted.

ETA:  If you're sending a barrel for an AE contour that is already threaded the rule starting today is if the threads are .003 concentric and less we will do the job.  Anything beyond that you will be charged $40 for checking the threads and the barrel will be sent back on your dime unless you want it shortened and rethreaded.

View Quote

Not gonna lie. I plan on sending a barrel to you next month and I was planning on doing this exact thing to make sure you know where I want it cut and where the shoulder should be.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#17]
What if we don't know where to have it cut? Like I have no idea where to cut to fit an Ops Collar assembly on a 416 14.5
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:21:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#18]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#19]
What if we don't know where to have it cut? Like I have no idea where to cut to fit an Ops Collar assembly on a 416 14.5
View Quote

Math is not hard. If you have your upper and another SPR cut barrel simple math can give you exactly what you need.

The machine shops job is to machine what the customer asks for. Not to do more work than what they are being paid for.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Fuck. Yes. Post of the year right here.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#21]

If you want it cut "at the mark on the barrel" - Tell us if that's the shoulder or the muzzle.
If you want it cut "at the masking tape on the barrel" - Tell us at which end and if that indicates the shoulder or the muzzle.
Don't tell us you want the collar shoulder close to the end of the rail.  YOU mark the barrel to show us were the you want the collar. And don't send all the parts and expect us to assemble it, disassemble it to figure out where you want the collar for free - we will, but you have to order the disassemble and reassemble services.
Don't tell us you want the can close to the rail then get pissed when your barrel comes back 15 3/4" long.  

My machinist is a machinist. He's not a member of ARFCOM, he doesn't have an instagraam. He doesn't know what something is supposed to look like after it's assembled.  He just does the machine work.

Think about what you order so you don't get back what you asked for instead of what you wanted.

ETA:  If you're sending a barrel for an AE contour that is already threaded the rule starting today is if the threads are .003 concentric and less we will do the job.  Anything beyond that you will be charged $40 for checking the threads and the barrel will be sent back on your dime unless you want it shortened and rethreaded.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AWHAILYEAH:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/crazykat-330.gif  

@bigbore so are ya doing contours and cut'n threads or ya out big dawg??

So there ya go all and whoever said ADCO was out!  They're still in now get ya shit right as for me fuckkkkkkk I got my CLE's...................
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Who is everyone using for their barrel now since CLE is out?
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#23]
If you have a 14.5" 416 barrel and you send it in for an AE contour/collar, and your threads are no more than .003 eccentric we will send back a 14.5" 416 barrel ready to mount your AE suppressor.

If you have a 14.5" 416 barrel and you send it in for an AE contour/collar, with a note you want it cut to 12.5" we will send back a 12.5" 416 barrel with concentric threads ready to mount your AE suppressor.

The issue is with people whose main concern is aesthetics for their instagram page, not functionality.  Give us a barrel length and that's what you'll get back.   last week someone used the term "credit card thickness" as a unit of measurement.  Don't do that.
View Quote

The issue on this one is a little more nuanced/complex. In the cloning world (what this thread is dedicated to) we're often trying to copy setups that were done inside small units by small barrel shops / armorers. And all we have to go on is pictures / aesthetics. For the 416 barrel specifically, it's a difficult one to specify for a machinest because we don't neccessarily have specifications, dimensions or diagrams to work off of, all we have is pictures and a base knowledge of the system.

With the 416, it's more about where the collar sits than a specific barrel length. So it's like we want to index everything off of exactly where the collar should be, but that's a hard thing to specify for a machinest because we can't test fit the collar without the front section of the barrel being turned down first. It's almost like it needs to happen in 2 operations.

And then, you mix in all the whacky 416 clone barrel profiles that have come out (Brownells I'm looking at you), different collar lengths that are on the market (by sometimes even different manufacturers) and whether or not the barrel is concentric and it basically just makes the machinest's life hell for that particular build. But we're also stuck as consumers with not really having a lot of options or the ability to sit down with the machinest and discuss it in person so everything is clear. It's a tricky project to describe with masking tape and typed out text.

From what I can tell, the 416 project only really works if you follow a specific receipe:

1. ONLY use a genuine HK416 14.5" barrel or Nefarious Arms 14.5" HK416 barrel. These are the only 2 barrels that I'm aware of that have the correct M203 cut and profile to work specifically for this recipe. No MR556 barrels, no Nefarious barrels that are other lengths/profiles, no brownells barrels, etc… The HK barrel is obviously the best one, but given its price and rarity, it can be difficult for people, so the Nefarious is the next best option.

2. Use ONLY a short collar made by Ops Inc. / Allen Engineering.

3. The collar on AR-15 builds would normally rest up against a small shoulder machined into the barrel profile. However, on these 416 builds, it looks like what was done is the collar instead rests up against the taper behind the M203 cut. So the front section of the barrel needs to be turned down in order to slide the collar on first. Once that happens, you can slide the collar on and twist it a bit to "score" the barrel with a small mark to you can see exactly where on the taper the shoulder inside the collar sits.

4. Once you have that little mark from the collar on the barrel, you can then measure the exact length to cut the barrel. Basically everything needs to be indexed off of that mark. But we can't create that mark until the barrel profile up front gets turned down first. IIRC it's 2.4" from the collar shoulder but I could be remembering that wrong.

This kind of thing is extremely difficult to explain to gunsmith shops over email. Especially ones that are unfamiliar with the Ops Inc. system in the first place. Steve, your shop is the best on the planet for this type of stuff IMO, but I've always been nervous about sending this particular project in to you guys specifically for this reason, because I'm not confident enough in my ability to explain it right.

What we really need is a shop that understands the Ops system to do one of these successfully and then "document" it so that it's specific specs for anyone else that wants to do this project. But it'd need to have requirements like *only* those 2 barrels and *only* the Allen short collar. The minute some dude comes along with a different barrel or different setup in some way and tries to do it it'd fuck the whole thing up and then I'm sure they'd whine about it. And what shop would possibly want to deal with that? Exactly why I'm not surprised that D. Wilson discontinued it.

It would also be rad if there was some good supply of the barrels out there where we could just get massive group buy run done all at once and then keep the spares for sale for anyone wanting to do the project in the future. I feel like a smithing shop would be far more willing to invest the time in helping us figure it out if it was going to be for 40 barrels all at once instead of 1 barrel every 4 months.

It's just a weird hobby and this stuff is hard. And in general our collective behavior as a community, being cheap and whiny, doesn't exactly make shops want to work with us to figure it out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 11:23:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb] [#24]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

Math is not hard. If you have your upper and another SPR cut barrel simple math can give you exactly what you need.

The machine shops job is to machine what the customer asks for. Not to do more work than what they are being paid for.
View Quote

That's not really an accurate statement. The 416 specifically has some extra complexity vs. a normal SPR/AR-15 project.

Making an incorrect blanket statement about a project that you have no experience with isn't hard.

Math isn't hard, sure, but obtaining a precise location from a precise measurement on a tapered section of a barrel when you can't actually put the other part on it IS hard. And it's especially hard when you mix in multiple barrel manufacturers and even tolerances within the same manufacturer.

Nobody said anything about getting a machine shop to do more work that what they are being paid for. The people trying to do this project are more than willing to pay a shop to work with them to figure the specifics out. But it's a hard thing to do virtually.

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

That's not really an accurate statement. The 416 specifically has some extra complexity vs. a normal SPR/AR-15 project.

Making an incorrect blanket statement about a project that you have no experience with isn't hard.

Math isn't hard, sure, but obtaining a precise location from a precise measurement on a tapered section of a barrel when you can't actually put the other part on it IS hard. And it's especially hard when you mix in multiple barrel manufacturers and even tolerances within the same manufacturer.

Nobody said anything about getting a machine shop to do more work that what they are being paid for. The people trying to do this project are more than willing to pay a shop to work with them to figure the specifics out. But it's a hard thing to do virtually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myVkd6K0mT8
View Quote

So, what ADCO is saying is people send their barrel in and assume they know all this bespoke info about a clone which has no hard numbers for them to go by.

Also, when I say math isn't hard and how people should put a little more effort into what they are doing I mean that no matter what there are hard numbers someone can go by no matter how intricate the details are on where the muzzle is to where the back of your suppressor will end up. The back of the collar might vary based on what collar is used but again that is just a number which can be added or subtracted.  

If you have a 14.5" barrel and you need the collar to sit just past the gas block on a 416 and you also have another SPR contour rifle sitting right next to you you can take your trusty fat max and measure from the muzzle to the back of the collar. Then apply that number to your 416, then mark where the muzzle needs to be and subtract the distance from your 14.5" muzzle to where it needs to be. Then tell ADCO it needs a barrel chop to 13.1" then an SPR contour or whatever magic needs to be done to run this collar on this barrel.

If it requires a special collar. Buy the special collar and factor it into your dimensions and send it with the barrel

When I say "you" I am referring to whoever  the customer is.

I'd wager the info these clowns are sending to Adco and D. Wilson for these special SPR contour setups are nothing like what you, TinyCrumb, would send. So, now Adco has to blanket statement stuff because no one wanted to do some math or work and just wanted someone else to do the work for them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 1:06:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AWHAILYEAH] [#26]
Originally Posted By Thanos7856:
Who is everyone using for their barrel now since CLE is out?
View Quote

@Thanos7856

https://craddockprecision.com/rtr-223-wylde-15-1-recce/

https://www.thoroughbredarmco.com/product/863/

No experience with either but hear nothing but good out of Craddick and mixed on the Thoroughbred barrel..............I'd buy either the Douglas 16" or 18" mk12 barrel and send it to @bigbore for a chop................................I have two CLE 15.1 RECCE barrels (1 in 556 & 1 in 6mm Arc) and Eyekahn has the most experience behind this cloned build so we should be able to get the measurements together.  Maybe bigbore already knows fuck me if I do I got lucky ordered in Oct 23' and was one of the final runs from CLE before they went dark....................
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice video. The Brownells HK platform barrels were such a mess. Their 417 barrel gas block location was completely off for similar reasons. I checked multiple with the same results.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TheSogster:
Nice video. The Brownells HK platform barrels were such a mess. Their 417 barrel gas block location was completely off for similar reasons. I checked multiple with the same results.
View Quote

Thanks. It's quite amazing just how bad they did with them. I've even heard of people's rifles malfunctioning because of the extra length in the piston system but I haven't verified that myself. The only redeeming quality that I can think of is that at the very least it put a ton of readily available barrel extensions on the market. So we could always buy a crappy Brownells 417 barrel, pull the extension, and then get a custom barrel maker to do a proper one. I've always been secretly hoping that Marvin would do 417 barrels as well since he did such a good job on the 416 ones, but I believe the barrel extensions are what's holding him back. Still have my fingers crossed though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AWHAILYEAH:

Awesome thank you for the info. If I get a barrel chopped how do achieve getting the suppressor to index as close to the barrel as the builds I’ve seen in this thread?

@Thanos7856

https://craddockprecision.com/rtr-223-wylde-15-1-recce/

https://www.thoroughbredarmco.com/product/863/

No experience with either but hear nothing but good out of Craddick and mixed on the Thoroughbred barrel..............I'd buy either the Douglas 16" or 18" mk12 barrel and send it to @bigbore for a chop................................I have two CLE 15.1 RECCE barrels (1 in 556 & 1 in 6mm Arc) and Eyekahn has the most experience behind this cloned build so we should be able to get the measurements together.  Maybe bigbore already knows fuck me if I do I got lucky ordered in Oct 23' and was one of the final runs from CLE before they went dark....................
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:11:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#30]
So are these rifle gonna go in this thread or  

Attachment Attached File

Big thanks to TinyCrumb for the heads up!
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
So are these rifle gonna go in this thread or  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/IMG_8098_jpeg-3246601.JPG
View Quote

Nice!

That’s going to be a super cool, unique build.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Full picture. Some great 416 recce details.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#35]
That's a lot of HK in that picture
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#36]
That's a lot of HK in that picture
View Quote

Back when HK sponsored Dev... those were the best of times.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 1:01:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AWHAILYEAH] [#39]
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#40]

appreciate you sir!
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#42]

I've been trying to find where to place the order but I haven't seen anything from a dealer.
View Quote

Sportsoptics has them free shipping and they taking care of the tax.

https://www.sportoptics.com/nightforce-nxs-2-5-10x24-c538.html
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By WarEagleAUB:

Sportsoptics has them free shipping and they taking care of the tax.

https://www.sportoptics.com/nightforce-nxs-2-5-10x24-c538.html
View Quote

damn. Mile High had tax but free shipping. I aint complaining too much. Beats resale prices by a mile.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn OOS already
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Damn OOS already
View Quote

Hit up Bauer precision, Mike over there said they had some on order.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for the heads up

I ended up calling eurooptic and they got me one after my post. They haven't even gotten theirs yet so it's all pre orders.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:41:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AWHAILYEAH] [#47]
Midway ain't showing no love on shipping or taxes  but show both in stock\

ETA: For those looking for the 15.1" Recce Barrels here's a lil infor from Craddock Precision....................

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Well I got the NSW 15.1" tore apart for cerakote and the 2008 made 2.5-10x24 sitting idle!  Meanwhile I'm thinking about doing the OG Seal Recce as I have the 2.5-10x32 from 2012 and my newly released 2.5-10x24 arriving tomorrow alongside the FN upper/lower and B. E. Meyers 249F.  So all I need is the Lilja 17" which is in stock so question is for anyone that has built that rifle do you enjoy it?  Is that Lilja a fucking shooter or what?  Got my new batch KAC RAS in Monday so just gotta order the barrel.

The 2008 x24 was sent in for reticle change many many years ago so it's MOAR/MOAR, the 2012 x32 is MilDot and the 2024 x24 is Mil/Mil
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Another question I have two sets of NF rings one set of A203's and what is supposed to be A110's but they have no markings??  I sold my original set last year got these later last year in a scope trade so do you guys know if they mark the 110's or not??

Might just order a unimount and call it a day for the new x24
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Mounted the 2.5-10x24 from the previous drop
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top