Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2019 10:13:49 PM EDT
I've used the trusty ol USGI armorer's tool for a long time without issue (3 pronged barrel nut wrench). However, I am currently installing a MI handguard on a buddies Ruger. The barrel nut is ridiculously on there....I have had it soaking in Kroil all day. Heat will be next.

However, I have already snapped a few "teeth" off the barrel nut and believe it is due to only having three contact points with said wrench...

What is the BEST barrel nut wrench I can pick up which will allow MORE contact area (i.e. stronger) with said barrel nut?
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Magpul
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:04:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the Magpul wrench a lot. The only fault it has is the teeth are not long enough with some barrel nuts.

The PRI wrench has long teeth. Overall I find myself grabbing my Magpul the most though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#4]
This one has been pretty good to me. Lots of leverage and plenty of engagement.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the upper in vise blocks, or on a Reaction Rod?

I prefer clam shell vise blocks for barrel nut removal.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This one has been pretty good to me. Lots of leverage and plenty of engagement.
View Quote
I was just about to drop that link.

By the way, how has that wrench worked out for you? Any issues at all?
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]
HEAT. I get that f#cker RED.

Never fails unless you havn't been hitting the gym...
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
None, whatsoever. Where applicable it's been great. If i could improve anything it'd be to make the pins a little longer for that extra bite on some of the more recessed nuts.

But yeah... breaker bar with a 9 pin engagement pattern? No stuck nuts here!
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:42:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
None, whatsoever. Where applicable it's been great. If i could improve anything it'd be to make the pins a little longer for that extra bite on some of the more recessed nuts.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, good to hear.

BRD Engineering had an 8 pin barrel barrel nut wrench that had longer pins, but sadly they no longer have it on their site. It didn't have a long fixed handle though, it was made to be used with a breaker bar or a torque wrench.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 2:22:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I was going to suggest the Smith Enterprises armorers wrench, but that appears to be discontinued.  The MAGPUL wrench is probably the closest thing to the Smith as far as USGI barrel nut teeth engagement.

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/wrench-armorer/
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure what Ruger does, but it is excessive and unnecessary. I had the same issue. barrel nut would not move. I tried heat, but probably not enough heat, as I was afraid of over heating the barrel. I took it to a gunsmith who turned out to be kind of a hack. He used penetrating oil and heat, but he ended up stripping all the threads off the receiver. Lesson learned: find a reputable gunsmith.

I ended up getting a new upper which was an Anderson and didn't have the cool Ruger logo on it, but all was well after that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Perhaps? From the Ruger forum:

".... In the end I was able to get the barrel nut off by leaving it in the freezer while at work. When I got home I took it out put it on the reaction rod and was ready to do battle.

My entire weapon was covered in frost. I put on the armor's wrench and breaker bar and gave it a test run. I put around 20% of the force I had in my pre freezer attempts and it turned. I was in honest to God shock. The nut turned like it had 30lb of torque..."
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Picked up the Magpul wrench locally here at our Cabela's (about 9 bucks more than online). Ended up getting the barrel nut off. Thanks for all the input fellas! Didn't want to add another wrench to the bench but I guess you really can't have too many tools!
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#14]
The one and only NCStar product I own is the damn wrench.  It finally broke doing a nut on a RE, and I picked up the Magpul.
Good wrench, so far!
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad you got it OP.

While I do have a couple different wrenches at my disposal, the Magpul is almost always what I reach for first.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my PRI wrenches.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top