Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2024 8:40:59 PM EDT
Yes.  I was bored and bought a POS ATI 16" .450 upper.  BCG included.  Runs fine hand cycling but fails to eject when firing.  It DOES lock the bolt back on the last round.  But it leaves a semi-mangled piece of brass in the ejection port.  I have tried a couple different buffer/spring combos and while it seems the lighter ones mangle the brass less, it still won't eject properly.  I have checked the ejector with the BCG out of the gun and it seems smooth, but it also looks like the extractor feels a little "sticky" while testing.  It's like the ejector can't get the brass out soon enough and it's jamming the case mouth into the front of the port.  Overgassed?  IDK.  It really does seem to be pretty damned accurate so I would love to get it to run.  Using C products mags BTW.  Does it on both 5 and 7 rounders.
Have tried Hornady American Whitetail and 250 gr FTX so far.

Sorry meant to post this in the "AR Variants".  Mods please move.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it have a standard milspec upper with normal ejection port, or has is the port opened up wider to allow better passage of the thicker brass?  That was a common problem for builders using a milspec style upper that was remedied by hogging out the port.

Link Posted: 6/22/2024 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks standard to me...
Thanks for the clue.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks standard to me...
Thanks for the clue.
View Quote
That pic above I found on the net, but when I built by BM upper, I used a cheap milspec upper and opened it up myself like that image with some files and a dremel with grinding wheel, then hit it with aluminum black after.  It worked great for me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it have a standard milspec upper with normal ejection port, or has is the port opened up wider to allow better passage of the thicker brass?  That was a common problem for builders using a milspec style upper that was remedied by hogging out the port.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157876/bmport-3248305.png
View Quote

Good pic!  I used a standard upper and milled out the front of the port just like that.  

Bolts are a sticking point for the 450 BM.  Some just flat suck at feeding and chambering but it seems yours is doing that part okay.  I would replace the extractor to begin with as that seems to be the main culprit.  I had a 1911 that wouldn't eject for shit and then someone suggested the extractor so I bought a good one and it has run 100% since.  If the hook isn't getting a solid purchase on the case head it isn't going to pull it out with any consistency.

A heavier buffer should slow down the cycling, but it appears you have played with that already.  Spring shouldn't matter on ejection cycle, but you never know until you know.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top