Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2019 7:34:02 PM EDT
Noticed something interesting about the new Aero Precision 7075 buffer tube kit I got a few weeks ago. There's no "lip" between the threads and the stock mounting ridge:

Here's the older tube listed on Aero's site, with the same SKU (APRH-100151):

I first noticed Anderson using this tube style. What's interesting is that someone in another thread noticed that their Anderson tube had a slight extrusion mark in the same place as my Aero tube.

I wonder if Aero and Anderson get their raw extrusions from the same place, or if they both just use the same die if they make them in house.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 2:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
i just wonder if the M4 carbine mil-spec calls for the step (or "lip"), or not, on the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I don’t know if there’s a strength thing to it, or if that’s just how Colt was able to design the part originally.

Most buffer tube failures I’ve seen online were commercial tubes or 6061 mil spec tubes, but they failed at the threads.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#3]
All I’ve noticed is that some of my buffer tubes (all mil-spec) have some rough and pronounced step or lip to them. Others are damn near smooth / same diameter throughout.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top