Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2023 2:04:23 PM EDT
So let's set the totally unrealistic, totally unreasonable, totally hypothetical scenario for you*

Breakdown of basic public services - widespread shortages and civil unrest - total breakdown in rule of law outside major metropolitan areas - it's time to move your family from low ground to a high ground situation or to better shelter

Assuming you already have your preferred choice in sidearm/pistol and a dedicated hunting rifle, and assuming uniform ammunition stockpiles, which would you prefer for your primary weapon in this journey; a Sig Sauer MPX (K or Copperhead or whatever) PCC or short-barrel (6"-8") AR in .300 Blackout?

Explain your reasons in the comments!

* If you feel irrepressably compelled to comment on the unlikely nature of this scenario, or cannot refrain from ignoring the obviously tongue-in-cheek bent to this post and just cannot stop yourself from saying how stupid it is.... please remember; giving in to those base urges and posting in this fashion is the same as assuming everyone else here needs that spelled out for them and I for one, would find that insulting....

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Seeing that one is a SIG product that I wouldn't even consider owning and the other is a pistol AR in a caliber that I consider useless, I voted large pokey stick.

And I would most definitely take the good old 20" A2 over any of the above options... That's just the A2 forum rules.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So let's set the totally unrealistic, totally unreasonable, totally hypothetical scenario for you*

Breakdown of basic public services - widespread shortages and civil unrest - total breakdown in rule of law outside major metropolitan areas - it's time to move your family from low ground to a high ground situation or to better shelter

Assuming you already have your preferred choice in sidearm/pistol and a dedicated hunting rifle, and assuming uniform ammunition stockpiles, which would you prefer for your primary weapon in this journey; a Sig Sauer MPX (K or Copperhead or whatever) PCC or short-barrel (6"-8") AR in .300 Blackout?

https://i.imgur.com/lgEtq0N.jpeg

https://fieldethos.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/1-scaled.jpg

* If you feel irrepressably compelled to comment on the unlikely nature of this scenario, or cannot refrain from ignoring the obviously tongue-in-cheek bent to this post and just cannot stop yourself from saying how stupid it is.... please remember; giving in to those base urges and posting in this fashion is the same as assuming everyone else here needs that spelled out for them and I for one, would find that insulting....

View Quote

I voted AR on your poll, but I'd be seriously tempted by my AK-P.   It's relatively compact (will fit under a coat) and in a decent caliber.   An AK is not my favorite, but they have their place.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seeing that one is a SIG product that I wouldn't even consider owning and the other is a pistol AR in a caliber that I consider useless, I voted large pokey stick.

And I would most definitely take the good old 20" A2 over any of the above options... That's just the A2 forum rules.
View Quote

Genuinely curious to hear more on both; why do you boycott Sig? Why is .300blk useless?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Genuinely curious to hear more on both; why do you boycott Sig? Why is .300blk useless?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More kidding than anything as I'd really take either option over a pointy stick. If I have anything against sig, it's the sketchiness in which the US military has picked them as the top choice for everything lately.

.300 blackout I haven't personally found a use for it. I'm sure it has it's niche though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Somebody left the door to GD open again....
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

More kidding than anything as I'd really take either option over a pointy stick. If I have anything against sig, it's the sketchiness in which the US military has picked them as the top choice for everything lately.

.300 blackout I haven't personally found a use for it. I'm sure it has it's niche though.
View Quote

Yeah, I feel certain there's some backroom deal there we'll never, ever know the truth of.... to say nothing of the fact that Sig routinely beta-tests their gear on their retail-paying customers.... but on the other hand, IMHO, outside of the world of tweaked / custom 1911's, the Sig Sauer P-Series Legion SAO units are the toughest, most accurate, most reliable handguns I've ever owned. My MPX -K Copperhead is very obviously a professional-quality PCC with an active warfighter or another professional user as their intended market.

I have a very high-quality AR Pistol in .300blk which, despit lacking the Copperhead's bomb-proof feel and construction, I feel I can totally rely on. Furthermore, I feel like if, God forbid, I was ever in a situation where my life of the life of a loved one absolutely depended on my stopping a threat from another human being, if the .300blk round behaves the same way with humans at 5-150yds as it does with wild hogs... then there's no contest. AR .300blk all the way.

In fact I've always held that the endless comparisons of .300BLK against 5.56 Nato are far less practical than comparing the .300blk to 9mm and .45ACP. After all...  despite the proliferation of AR-based PCC's, to me, a PCC or "PDW" PCC is much more a sized-up pistol than it is a watered-down rifle. JUst my $0.02
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
And this is related to A2 rifles how?
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#10]
in before the move.

But for OP -

I would absolutely choose the Sig Rattler for this. So kind of a mix of your choices. Not a short 300blk AR, but not an MPX.

The Rattler is smaller and more compact than any AR, and is fully functional folded without any unproven specialized parts.

Once I got the Sig Rattler, my MPX basically turned into a range toy. If I want to bring something super small and compact in 9mm, it's going to be a handgun. If I'm going to move up in size and weight to a pdw rifle, there's no way I'd prefer 9mm over 300blk (especially with supers).

So as fun as my MPX is, it's now a fun range toy. Since I'm not trying to keep it small and compact anymore, I just kind of turned it into a modern MP5SD type of thing.

MPX before

Attachment Attached File

MPX now

Attachment Attached File

The Sig Rattler
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah - I definitely dropped this in the wrong sub. I meant to click the PISTOL sub just below it.

Apologies all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt 14.5 socom barreled carbine in 5.56 with nx8 1-8, light, ir laser for nods, bnvd nods, clip on thermal, sound suppressor, 70gr TSX or similar pills.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 5:49:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Not a2 related
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top