Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2024 7:02:10 PM EDT
Hello from the land of fruits and nuts. First time builder here, having a blast so far reading from all who have contributed to the various forums. I’m taking my time and just having fun. My lower is built and I’m waiting for a few parts for the upper and then I’ll get started with that. I’ve been down the rabbit hole on reading about headspacing 5.56. Dang. Anyway, thought I would introduce myself and become a lurker no longer.

-Bill
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome. There's no headspacing for you to do. Either your shit works or it doesn't. If it's out of spec, send it back. In general though, if you use decent parts you'll get decent results. PSA is always a good place to get your feet wet. Low prices and great customer service.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stowe:
Welcome. There's no headspacing for you to do. Either your shit works or it doesn't. If it's out of spec, send it back. In general though, if you use decent parts you'll get decent results. PSA is always a good place to get your feet wet. Low prices and great customer service.
View Quote

How to interpret the specs is what I am wondering! Is there really a no-go gauge for 5.56?
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:10:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bbuhlman:

How to interpret the specs is what I am wondering! Is there really a no-go gauge for 5.56?
View Quote

No go for headspace is more determined by the manufacturer or the entity that accepts the product.
There is plenty of info on the differences between the .223 and 5.56 Nato throat design on the internet which may not be really a headspace or headspace gauge thing.
The Saami info is online also for research about the topic.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#4]
You can get gauges to check or have a local shop do it for a few bucks. There are extensive threads on here about whether checking is necessary. You can search them and come to your own conclusion.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 8:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Musketjon] [#5]
.223/ 5.56 both head space on the cartridge shoulder, therefore throat length does not even enter the equation. The brass is the same for both. There are SAAMI specs for headspacing .223. Headspace to fit .223, and either will be fine.
Now before someone jumps my s#*t with the "can't shoot 5.56 in a  223 chamber", it's not that it won't fit. It has to do with leade free-bore and cartridge pressure. You load .223 and 5.56 with the same die set, right?
Jon
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Along with others are saying, checking headspace is not necessary on a newly manufactured barrel.  If you were buying a surplus barrel, headspace may be affected by a worn sloppy barrel extension.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve never checked headspace in a half dozen ARs I’ve built and never had an issue.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
I've never checked headspace in a half dozen ARs I've built and never had an issue.
View Quote
Same. Same.

Howdy OP!
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:54:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I've fire formed so many different Ackley Improved cartridges I don't get excited about head space these days. I have had a couple cheaper nitrided barrels where the brass didn't want to go all the way in. A quick brushing by hand of the chamber and the brass dropped right in.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Many, if not most, don't bother checking headspace. If you are concerned, you could buy the barrel and the bolt (or BCG) from the same vendor and they will often check headspace for you. I've done that once because it was a very expensive build. I never bothered with any of my other builds and never had an issue.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top