User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 28
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARogueNinja:
A little bit of a thread revival with some pictures of SAM-R's in the wild and have probably not been saw here before.  These are from 2003/2004 from the original east coast Marine unit that tested and were issued them.  1st Bn 6th Marines.  Original testing and training was conducted in 2003 with the DM/ SAM-R course on Stone Bay Range.  And deployed to Afghanistan in early 2004 with the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit-Special Operations Capable.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245106/SAMR6-423105.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245106/SAMR5-423104.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245106/SAMR4-423103.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245106/SAMR3-423102.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245106/SAMR2-423101.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245106/SAMR1-423100.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245106/SAMR-423099.jpg

ETA: These were all personal/ friends photos and were edited as such.
View Quote
Thank you for posting these!
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 4:37:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMCSGT0331] [#2]
Not sure if this pic has been previously posted, but it's a pretty good one (SAM-R in the foreground, M40A3 in the background, and a squid spotting!). And I finally have more than 50 posts, so my pics actually show up instead of just having a link!

Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Found a gas block and sight, still looking for the correct handguard!

Pretty good read......

Accuwedge is the secret sauce!

Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve got every part except that gas block. Thinking about having a bunch made.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:
View Quote
I thought you had FSGB? I'd be in for a group buy
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By aaron580:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By aaron580:
Not a prototype railed gas block with bayo lug. I know of maybe 3, 2 of them are here/the CRA FB group.

The other thing is to go with the railed gas block, you'd have to find the super early, unmarked KAC front sight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
If you do I'm in
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Count me in on a gas block also
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
I want this. Not sure why KAC can't do a production run on them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cheekibreeki:

I want this. Not sure why KAC can't do a production run on them.
View Quote
They still have some sitting in a warehouse..just no one wants to look for them, log them in, and sell them. It would need to be done as a favor for a vendor, like they did for boltcarrier.com last year
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Last I was told by them is they have absolutely none anymore. This was probably 6 months ago. Even asked BCM if they had any from their SAM-R uppers.

It's funny how companies like Colt, DD, and KAC are so anti-consumer in regards to anything one may need for clone parts. And if they decide to produce any of it, there's either an obscure rule like it can't be sold separately, or that it's astronomically overpriced.

Saw somewhere on a clone group some guys had bought those Colt FSGBs meant for rimfire guns, and were planning to drill a gas hole. I bought one myself for $40 to try and it should work. Although it appears to be non-ferrous.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Last I was told by them is they have absolutely none anymore. This was probably 6 months ago. Even asked BCM if they had any from their SAM-R uppers.

It's funny how companies like Colt, DD, and KAC are so anti-consumer in regards to anything one may need for clone parts. And if they decide to produce any of it, there's either an obscure rule like it can't be sold separately, or that it's astronomically overpriced.

Saw somewhere on a clone group some guys had bought those Colt FSGBs meant for rimfire guns, and were planning to drill a gas hole. I bought one myself for $40 to try and it should work. Although it appears to be non-ferrous.
View Quote
.....you say this quite literally months before they do another couple runs of the MRE-B rails.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Can someone with a FSGB tell me if a magnet will stick to the BASE of it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Samson-Dogg] [#14]
I meant the prototype gas block. Kac fsgb’s I have. I need the prototype. I have the FF RAS Vero Beach sniper or match marked to choose from, the ARMS S-EX top rail, the old school ARMS 19 one piece scope mount with a TS-30 marked scope sitting in it.
I got the Anderson high railed block that is fairly close. It has no bayonet lug and needs to be shaved down in a couple areas. It’s a good stand in but not the real thing.
I’ve got two SAM-R’s with the KAC block so the prototype is what I really want. I’ve only seen two of those prototype blocks and no one is letting go.
And as mentioned above one of my SAM-R’s is a BCM built upper. I tried to get them to just tell me how many were sold and they wouldn’t.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#15]
How successful were the SDMR's compared to the SAMR's?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By InternationalM:
How successful were the SDMR's compared to the SAMR's?
View Quote
Both were equally successful and slayed bodies. Mechanically the only real differences are that the SDMs were really only employed with ACOGs unless maybe someone swapped something in. Otherwise both had match grade barrels, free floated, and match triggers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:
Found a gas block and sight, still looking for the correct handguard!

https://i.imgur.com/xbXFeMO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Xus0qsM.jpg

Pretty good read......

https://i.imgur.com/REszedW.jpg

Accuwedge is the secret sauce!
https://i.imgur.com/dYrIzGK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kMJlgiq.jpg
View Quote
LOL, according to 90% of arfcom, the accuwedge is unecessary and dumb.  I'm not saying it's going to make a gun shoot a ton better.  But I would think reducing movement in the stock / upper is going to be a small step in the right direction for precision.  I mean why does everyone want super tight cheek weld shooting precision otherwise?

Anyways... I have one in my A2 20"er because the thing just rattles and moves enough to be annoying to me without it. And it was in there when my Dad bought it a million years ago.  So I just left it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
It is a tough part to make.  Not sure who you would have do it.  If serious, I might join you.  Until then, I have been pretty happy with the ARMS folding front sight mount.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:44:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#19]

View Quote
I did this a couple years ago.  It doesn't hold up.  The block is alluminum, and cheap alluminum.  The pins through the block didn't hold up under substained recoil and after taking it off the gas had already chewed a hole in the aluminum.  I'd be surprised if it made it 300 rounds.

I have pictures somewhere in this thread.  Probably in the earlier pages

The real ones I had were built like tanks
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Another possibility is to use the Colt folding gas block that comes with the 6940 series.  Brownells sells it in pieces.  It is on my list to put one together and try it.  You have to buy a special gas tube, as the gas tube needs to be straight.  This looks good, but a little pricey.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#21]
giving a new life to my old Hbar
far from being a perfect clone since finding parts over here is not that easy..

cant wait to test it next weekend at 200-300m

Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:22:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pt56] [#22]
Originally Posted By CoilCrafter:
Can someone with a FSGB tell me if a magnet will stick to the BASE of it?
View Quote
Yes it will.

https://imgur.com/a/RxW5h
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Guys,
Need some more detailed assistance. I skimmed through the 18 pages and may have missed it. I see on page 1 the SAM-R uses a standard M16A4 upper receiver. Is there one that would be MOST correct for the time period? Colt marked AF forged? Cerro forge, no Colt "C", etc, etc?

Also any other small details I would want to know that wasn't mentioned on page 1 now that I'm the proud owner of a KAC FSGB?

Thanks for the help! Plan on sending out to CLE next week for taper pin install.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 6:21:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#24]
The 3rd Infantry Division's DM Rifles were successful as a Warfighting Experiment but as always experience attrited out.  I don't know if they're still in-system.

TRADOC and 3rd Infantry Division's plan was to equip them with unit-organic TA-31Fs issued through Rapid Fielding Initiative.  Some enterprising guys put on commercial scopes like this Nightforce:

Link Posted: 3/2/2018 11:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jcrowl] [#25]
Thought I'd repost mine
SAM-R, Krieger barrel

SDM-R, Douglas barrel fluted

Link Posted: 3/3/2018 3:55:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
The 3rd Infantry Division's DM Rifles were successful as a Warfighting Experiment but as always experience attrited out.  I don't know if they're still in-system.

TRADOC and 3rd Infantry Division's plan was to equip them with unit-organic TA-31Fs issued through Rapid Fielding Initiative.  Some enterprising guys put on commercial scopes like this Nightforce:

http://mblogthumb2.phinf.naver.net/20160411_149/m16a2a2_1460305371941XSNuG_JPEG/cache3_7th_Cav_DMR_class_August_06_076.jpg?type=w800
View Quote
I'm not so sure that's a NF, maybe some type of Horus?
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:
Guys,
Need some more detailed assistance. I skimmed through the 18 pages and may have missed it. I see on page 1 the SAM-R uses a standard M16A4 upper receiver. Is there one that would be MOST correct for the time period? Colt marked AF forged? Cerro forge, no Colt "C", etc, etc?

Also any other small details I would want to know that wasn't mentioned on page 1 now that I'm the proud owner of a KAC FSGB?

Thanks for the help! Plan on sending out to CLE next week for taper pin install.
View Quote
Congrats on the fsgb. Just tell CLE what you want. They will hook you up with a colt upper and whatever else you need. Their barrel is a work of art. It really is.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#28]
what looks good and closest to the Knights front sight ? im sick of waiting
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Congrats on the fsgb. Just tell CLE what you want. They will hook you up with a colt upper and whatever else you need. Their barrel is a work of art. It really is.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply! I was starting to consider getting the barrel from CLE and having ADCO do the FSGB pin but if you think they'll do great work then I'll stick with them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
View Quote
I was wondering that too before my pickup and couldn't seem to find anything. I did look and everything I found didn't seem to have even the same silhouette profile. Wish I could help more but I'd still be interested in knowing that too?
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the reply! I was starting to consider getting the barrel from CLE and having ADCO do the FSGB pin but if you think they'll do great work then I'll stick with them.
View All Quotes

CLE built all the SAM-R barrels and pinned the gas blocks so they are the original builders of the SAM-R so to speak. They built barrels and pinned the gas blocks but I don’t know if they assembled the uppers. They definitely know the SAM -R
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
I'm going to be honest, nothing.  You are going to spend money on a front site that looks close, but isn't and it will drive you nuts and you won't be happy.  Better to just build a mod 1 and just keep waiting.  The two use a lot of common.

I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I've seen this cycle many times.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By chenault:

I'm going to be honest, nothing.  You are going to spend money on a front site that looks close, but isn't and it will drive you nuts and you won't be happy.  Better to just build a mod 1 and just keep waiting.  The two use a lot of common.

I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I've seen this cycle many times.
View Quote
I thought I saw a SAM-R build at the range, but the different folding front sight gas block stuck out like a sore thumb.

That damn FSGB is the reason I haven't started one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Words of wisdom there
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Why is there no love for the Army build?  LOL.

I'll be the voice of dissension.  I wouldn't care if someone had the wrong flip up front sight.  Especially knowing that you can't get them any longer.  Why not build the rest of it as you can and then if by some miracle you ever found a proper front flip sight, put it on?

That's probably clone heresy but man, life is short.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 2:47:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#36]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Why is there no love for the Army build?  LOL.

I'll be the voice of dissension.  I wouldn't care if someone had the wrong flip up front sight.  Especially knowing that you can't get them any longer.  Why not build the rest of it as you can and then if by some miracle you ever found a proper front flip sight, put it on?

That's probably clone heresy but man, life is short.
View Quote
I get that, and have seen people try that, but it never last and here's why.  Clones are replicas as close as you can get to the real thing.  It's a dedication to the history of a rifle.  Their parts aren't the best and are in many cases out dated, so you have to be dedicated to the idea of a clone to want to build one.  For the Sam-r the flip up is the iconic part that you will constantly look at.  At some point a few months later you will think "man, why am I shooting this almost clone with this outdated scope and heavy rail" and you will begin taking it apart.  Seen it happen many many times.  That's why I say build a mod 1 which uses all the same important parts so you can have an exact clone while you search for the sight that you may or may not find some day.  As you say, life is short.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, Mod1's are definitely sweet.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#38]
whats a Mod 1 ?
guess ill have to build an A5 bolt gun in the meantime
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#39]
whats a Mod 1 ?
guess ill have to build an A5 bolt gun in the meantime
View Quote
He wasn't specific to the platform, but referring to MK12 Mod 1.

Edit: Plenty of MK12 clones and inspired builds, but not that many (where I live) know of the SAM-R.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:59:14 PM EDT
[#40]

CLE built all the SAM-R barrels and pinned the gas blocks so they are the original builders of the SAM-R so to speak. They built barrels and pinned the gas blocks but I don’t know if they assembled the uppers. They definitely know the SAM -R
View Quote
I spoke to Frank at CLE and he actually said they spun the barrels but that Knights originally installed the FSGB and then sent to Quantico for upper receiver and remaining assembly.

He said they have pinned the FSGB before though and originally supplied the bolts. I've decided to let them assemble and supply the bolt per original program.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:27:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Samson-Dogg] [#41]
I spoke to Frank at CLE and he actually said they spun the barrels but that Knights originally installed the FSGB and then sent to Quantico for upper receiver and remaining assembly.

He said they have pinned the FSGB before though and originally supplied the bolts. I've decided to let them assemble and supply the bolt per original program.
View All Quotes

I guess I took what they had on their website wrong or didn’t remember. Either way I was wrong. But I think you are good to go with CLE. They have done work for me several times and they are just a pleasure to work with. The only other persons n I would trust with such hard to find parts would have been Ayan but he I longer does any work. Shame. He did my M110 stuff and it was perfect. Ahh but not possible. Honestly I have 2 SAM-R’s but I was thinking of doing a third with my SNIPER marked FF RAS. It will go to CLE no doubt and I will use their barrel no doubt. I really want one of the prototype gas blocks. I have every single part to do the prototype except that block. There was someone on here looking for a M-4 MATCH marked FF RAS. I have one. He has the prototype gas block. It would be cool to work something out there or just keep searching. I just need to put more effort in. I had knee surgery a week ago and still in a ton of pain. Wish I had never done this.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#42]

I guess I took what they had on their website wrong or didn’t remember. Either way I was wrong. But I think you are good to go with CLE. They have done work for me several times and they are just a pleasure to work with. The only other persons n I would trust with such hard to find parts would have been Ayan but he I longer does any work. Shame. He did my M110 stuff and it was perfect. Ahh but not possible. Honestly I have 2 SAM-R’s but I was thinking of doing a third with my SNIPER marked FF RAS. It will go to CLE no doubt and I will use their barrel no doubt. I really want one of the prototype gas blocks. I have every single part to do the prototype except that block. There was someone on here looking for a M-4 MATCH marked FF RAS. I have one. He has the prototype gas block. It would be cool to work something out there or just keep searching. I just need to put more effort in. I had knee surgery a week ago and still in a ton of pain. Wish I had never done this.
View Quote
Yes, I agree that I'm good to go. I appreciate your input and help! CLE certainly has a customer in me! I received an email just to let me know they received my parts and have always been super helpful. Good people!

That's impressive to have 2 SAM-R's!! Hope that trade deal could work out for you.

Sorry to hear about your rough go with the knee surgery. Without getting too off topic, I've had several friends that had it done and there has been a wide range of experience. Some that had no issues, did PT and recovery was cake and others that had nothing but pain and you'd think they went in for a Tijuana late night special. Hopefully yours turns around! Hang in there!
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#43]
i had ACL knee surgery and meniscus. it had its ups and downs. best thing i ever did.
i hike up and down mountains etc. its awesome. just finished eight months therapy for shoulder surgery.
glad i did it. been shooting already. feels really good. shit happens. we just have to suck it up and drive on.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I was looking for the pin on version of the A.R.M.S. folding front sight and JSE Surplus doesn't have anymore of them.

I did find them here just in case anybody else was looking for one. > https://charliescustomclones.com/products/a-r-m-s-folding-front-sight-41-b-l-p-for-sam-r
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#45]
I have the chance to buy a KB'ed Colt 901 upper with a flip up/down front sight. They look close to the KAC, would that make a decent stand in? Gas block looks good no damage, receiver and barrel are toast.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Need mount, glass, bipod, norgon ambi, and sling in my life still....

All Colt lower parts kit.
Issued A2 stock
CLE assembled upper.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Wow.  Good job!!!  A Unicorn!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Wow.  Good job!!!  A Unicorn!!!!!!!  
View Quote
Thanks bro! I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Anyone? How close are the colt 901 flip ups compared to the KAC flip ups?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#50]

I get that, and have seen people try that, but it never last and here's why.  Clones are replicas as close as you can get to the real thing.  It's a dedication to the history of a rifle.  Their parts aren't the best and are in many cases out dated, so you have to be dedicated to the idea of a clone to want to build one.  For the Sam-r the flip up is the iconic part that you will constantly look at.  At some point a few months later you will think "man, why am I shooting this almost clone with this outdated scope and heavy rail" and you will begin taking it apart.  Seen it happen many many times.  That's why I say build a mod 1 which uses all the same important parts so you can have an exact clone while you search for the sight that you may or may not find some day.  As you say, life is short.
View Quote
@InternationalM I am just going to say to defer to @Chenault because I think his response applies here. My 2 cents is that if it's not the KAC FSGB then it won't be a SAM-R but it could be a DMR rifle. I say get it, build it and enjoy the rifle but don't call it a SAM-R. If at some point you get a shot at a KAC FSGB then convert and sell off any parts that are no longer needed.

I didn't really answer your question directly because I think it's extremely subjective. Some may say it's a good stand in while others would say absolutely not.
Page / 28
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top