Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/2/2024 6:21:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smithvestal]
Thanks for the info, the alumi-black worked great.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't like them buying RCBS. I'd be very happy if they bought Dillon instead. I love my Dillon press and stuff, but Dillon can't run a company for shit. They've been behind on shipping stuff for years. It took them ONE Full year to ship the 9mm die set that came with my 550C a few years ago. Then, it took them about 9 months to ship my .45acp dies and the shell plate/kit. I've just bought Lee die sets for the other calibers. Got tired of waiting. I love the products, but they don't have clue to running a company.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:38:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marex] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Redman556:
I don't like them buying RCBS. I'd be very happy if they bought Dillon instead. I love my Dillon press and stuff, but Dillon can't run a company for shit. They've been behind on shipping stuff for years. It took them ONE Full year to ship the 9mm die set that came with my 550C a few years ago. Then, it took them about 9 months to ship my .45acp dies and the shell plate/kit. I've just bought Lee die sets for the other calibers. Got tired of waiting. I love the products, but they don't have clue to running a company.
View Quote

So close.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I did some work at Dillon's building here in Scottsdale AZ and they seemed alright but had a "were the cool dudes" attitude. That said, they were nice to us and gave us some of their calendars.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn’t bother me, just run it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
If this is your last BCM, never buy Geissele.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:50:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smithvestal] [#6]
Originally Posted By NoveskeFan:
Wouldn’t bother me, just run it.
View Quote

Thanks for the opinion. I already pin/welded on my asr mount and put some of that alumi-black stuff on there and it knocked the shine down on the chip and now doesn't stand out so bad. I still feel like this is a blem model but whatever.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Postal0311:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58648/20231103_192205-3204025.jpg
View Quote

What? No way they sent that to you with that chunk busted out of the rail. And the scratch in the side as well? Thats sad, especially when you can go to your local shop and buy some cheap $100 upper receiver and not have a single mark.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes I got a DD4 rifle as a birthday gift and it had a noticeable difference on the bolt catch. I would say coming in a forum is a bad idea as most people are defensive with the idea that you expect to get exactly as pictured unless otherwise noted. I went to the industry forum and they sent me the right one almost overnight.

Instead I would say call BCM and ask if you can send it back. Back when I was building a rifle I went to bcm and bought a wrench that they never included. I called and after a bit of back and forth they sent the wrench free of charge. So I would say call them and ask and I’m sure they’ll take care of you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

que the R U Having a Stroke meme
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Obviously OP, you can do what you want with your money and who you give it too.  

The way I see it, BCM offered to make right and you decided it wasn't worth the hassle.   Which is fine.  Again, you have that right.  I just wouldn't hold it against them because you decided shipping it off isn't worth the hassle of the drive to UPS.  That also tells me the "damage" really isn't that bad.  And unless you NEED that upper ASAP for something, I'd just send it back.  Worse case you have to wait a week or 2.  

Don't get me wrong, would I be annoyed...yes.  would I call them and see what they can do to fix it... possibly.  Depending on the damage.  On the other end, a quick dab with a sharpie would cover that up in a second.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#11]
That wouldn't bother me in the least.  My stuff gets more scuffed up going in and out of my vault.  A couple of range trips and it will really have more scuffs on it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#12]
The horror.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

^ Here you go OP….solid advice here.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:18:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#14]
Also if you haven’t already bought the birchwood Casey touch up pen for the aluminum. You simply shake it and leave a thin amount on the damage area and it’ll become black. I use it every once in a while to cover some scratches that accumulated. It’s acid so you have to leave it on there to let it react. I also have their blue acid that’s really good whenever there’s dings on the metal components.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Should be a blem. Am I surprised they didn't catch it? No. Would I personally care on a ~$1000 upper? No.

WTF does any of this have to do with RCBS or Dillon? I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]
If that's the only issue I'd touch it with aluminum black and forget about it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:42:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#17]
Originally Posted By Postal0311:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58648/20231103_192205-3204025.jpg
View Quote

If I got that from Geissele I’d reach out to them for an exchange and I don’t think a world exists they wouldn’t do it.

OP, I wouldn’t worry about that myself.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#18]
They offered to take it back and you declined. Why did you even email them in the first place?

Personally it wouldn't bother me because the gun will get more beat up the first time I take it out. If you really care though that's cool, just send it back to bcm.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
Also if you haven’t already bought the birchwood Casey touch up pen for the aluminum. You simply shake it and leave a thin amount on the damage area and it’ll become black. I use it every once in a while to cover some scratches that accumulated. It’s acid so you have to leave it on there to let it react. I also have their blue acid that’s really good whenever there’s dings on the metal components.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I haven't tried that before but will order some on amazon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:
Should be a blem. Am I surprised they didn't catch it? No. Would I personally care on a ~$1000 upper? No.

WTF does any of this have to do with RCBS or Dillon? I don't know.
View Quote

Thank you, this is my point. They sell blems but then sell this at full price.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TGE:
They offered to take it back and you declined. Why did you even email them in the first place?

Personally it wouldn't bother me because the gun will get more beat up the first time I take it out. If you really care though that's cool, just send it back to bcm.
View Quote

I more just messaged them thinking they would say they would send a new one out then give me a return for the damaged one. Instead of send it back to us for inspection which takes plenty of time. I'm not trying to be a pre-madonna but these are giant companies that make big big bucks getting free money from our government on overpriced contracts but then post ads about how patriotic they are then send out blem uppers to guys that work like slaves with a ton of overtime to maybe make 90k a year.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I probably wouldn't have even noticed before covering it in spray paint.

I am honestly surprised. All the BCM stuff I've ordered has appeared immaculate, until I start in on it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I’d be annoyed, with myself, I’d assume I’d dinged it some how in the two minutes I’d had it out of the box.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Muricha:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Muricha:

Oh man, I'm sorry. I was in another thread , and my computer restarted. I went and click on this link thinking it was the other one, and posted this replay. I apologize. lol
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#25]
The marks wouldn't bother me personally

My hangup with BCM is due to their barrel nuts being torqued 130 lb-ft and using thread locker on top of it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Subpar:
The marks wouldn't bother me personally

My hangup with BCM is due to their barrel nuts being torqued 130 lb-ft and using thread locker on top of it.
View Quote

Fucking nailed it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#27]
That's not a "chip". Anno doesn't chip. You'll find toolmarks on the highest of quality ARs as long as they aren't on contact surfaces it's not a big deal. Was it the Mk2 Blem upper that you ordered?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:31:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I mean..the first time you use it it's gonna probably get a mark on it.

Then again this is how I haul my guns
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:21:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#30]
The most impressive thing about this post is everyone buys BCMs blems and they rarely actually have blems. I buy their blems all the time and have never actually had a visual blemish.

If you're upset, send it back. Personally, I wouldn't care. But I'd also be painting it with a 8$ can of spray paint.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I would think “man, that’s disappointing” as I shook the can of krylon.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
If that's the only issue I'd touch it with aluminum black and forget about it.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#33]
I bought an actual blem bcm striped upper last year to complete a build.  Someone literally took a knife to the side and scuffed up the finish back and forth 5-6 times.  Looked to me like it was intentionally blemmed. Before that I've bought blemmed items from them with no discernable blem. Anyway I painted it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Wow. At first I thought this was a troll post. Try taking your rifle to the range and shooting it some.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Whatever you do don’t take it out of the safe or shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Smithvestal:

I more just messaged them thinking they would say they would send a new one out then give me a return for the damaged one. Instead of send it back to us for inspection which takes plenty of time. I'm not trying to be a pre-madonna but these are giant companies that make big big bucks getting free money from our government on overpriced contracts but then post ads about how patriotic they are then send out blem uppers to guys that work like slaves with a ton of overtime to maybe make 90k a year.
View Quote

It should be "prima donna" not pre-madonna, but it is kind of a funny word play.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TGE:
View Quote

Because much like the purpose of this post, some people need attention and fawning over.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm not in the firearms industry, but whenever we deal with damaged products at work, sending items back for inspection is standard procedure.

This has been the case for me with almost every personal customer service interaction I've ever had.

I probably wouldn't make a stink about the imperfection, and I definitely wouldn't write-off a company over an issue like this.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Toothpicksandkatchup:
I mean..the first time you use it it's gonna probably get a mark on it.

Then again this is how I haul my guns
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52620785480_1e2c68e637_c.jpg
View Quote

To be fair though there is a difference between scratches through use vs getting something brand new that looks like that. If you bought it like that wouldn’t you be upset despite that it’ll probably end up looking like that anyways?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:37:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jdk1] [#40]
I don't think BCM qualifies as a "giant" company.  I figure SOP is send it in and we'll inspect, repair or replace, IF they have that exact version available on the rack.  

For the original question, aside from like ten seconds of, "oh damn, my new upper has a shiny speck", that wouldn't be an issue at all.  First time it even went into the safe it would hit something else.  Blacken it with the pen and you'll forget it happened.  BCM is a top shelf company, so you'd only hurt yourself by writing them off.  Focus on the bad ass rifle you have.  I love my 14.5" Mk.2 upper!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top