AR Sponsor: bravocompany
PMags or Lancers? (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/6/2024 9:15:30 PM EDT
Which are your favorite and why?
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Lancers, never had any issues with them.

Link Posted: 6/6/2024 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Pmags is what I have primarily and they’ve been flawless, including 308 mags.

I only have Lancer 308 mags and they have been perfect as well. I’ve been eyeing the lancer 556 mags in all the pretty colors and I’ll probably buy some translucent fde and smoke soon.

I want to try the magpul clear mags as well.

These are the only mag manufacturers I bother with. I’ve got a larue 308 metal mag and a couple Cproducts metal 308 mags, but I don’t ever use them
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Pmags are 100% solid kit.

Link Posted: 6/6/2024 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By myitinaw:

View Quote

Same here.  I prefer Lancers.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By banzai70:
View Quote

Favorite ? PMAG Gen3s.

There are some of the most tested mags out there. Current issue for the US Marine Corps and the US Air Force among others.

About seven or eight years ago at work, we tested Lancers vs Gen 2 PMAGS.  Essentially performance, durability and reliability were the same but volume pricing on the PMAGs was better than Lancers.

I was an early adopter of 300 blackout as a hunting round and went to Lancers exclusively for 300 blackout before anyone made 300 blackout specific magazines partly for easy, identification, and partly because the lancers accommodated longer sub sonic rounds better than 5.56 PMAGS or GI mags.

Link Posted: 6/6/2024 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Prefer Lancers.

I also don’t discriminate and own enough copies of both to fill a car trunk.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 11:27:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#7]
1 Lancer
2 ETS
3 PMag
4 GI

Have your favorites - but it behooves you to have all 4, regardless, in at least some quantity.

In terms of actually durability, the PMag is the most overrated - they break the first of all 4 of those in drop tests.  And their legendary warranty supports, is now the stuff of legends of bygone era - and no more.  Which tells you all you need to know.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 11:31:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#8]
Lancers.

They just work. Metal feed lips, 20 rd 300 blk specifics (Magpul o ly had 30s at the time, not sure about today), many colors available for different calibers, seem to be less flimsy.

I guess I never saw a reason to go anything else.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Get both.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had two Lancers break on me, one had the metal wrap pop off the body, and another one had what I could only assume was a bad heat treat on the feed lips as they bent with a 3 foot drop.

I'm giving them another go, but Magpuls have taken more abuse and I still have all those.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a lot of Lancers. Probably 60-70 of them. Zero problems.  Have a punch pmags also. No problems. I prefer the steel feed lips of the Lancers.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Magpuls for 556
Lancers for 458
Metal mags for 6.8

Strictly segregated like that so I can never mix them up.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By WriterClarke:
I've had two Lancers break on me, one had the metal wrap pop off the body, and another one had what I could only assume was a bad heat treat on the feed lips as they bent with a 3 foot drop.
View Quote

How did the metal wrap come off? Did the plastic tabs holding it shear off somehow, or did the wrap itself come apart? Just curious, I’ve never seen that happen.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

How did the metal wrap come off? Did the plastic tabs holding it shear off somehow, or did the wrap itself come apart? Just curious, I’ve never seen that happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WriterClarke:

Same.  Not saying it can't, but I've never seen it.  I've seen a lot of mags get used.  Most common mag related failures I've seen Are BAD lever induced issues (by far) - usually with GI mags in particular.  I once saw rounds nose sticking into the face of the mag upon bolt impact and push,  rather than up the ramp, again, with GI mags.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

The polymer tabs looked okay enough, a little bit of the material was shaved off. It was from the same batch of mags I bought where one had the feedlips get chewed up on a fall too, so I've been thinking it was just a problematic group of them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#16]
While I own more Pmags than Lancers, it is at least 50/50.  I might use Lancers more because I shoot 300blk.  (Lancer 5.56's work a bit better for 300blk).   Will get a Tmag or two when they come out.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#17]
The Proper answer here is GET BOTH.

I have both and love them both equally. Wouldn't matter to me which was in my gun... i trust both.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone else see TGC’s destructive testing? One loaded drop and the M3 feedlips spread but without breakage. Also weird that the follower shattered in them. Always thought the followers were softer material.

Lancer was the only one to make it through. Unrealistic testing but if it holds up to that, it’ll hold up to anything I’ll ever do without question.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you have the link of TGC’s testing?
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HCM3156:

Favorite ? PMAG Gen3s.

There are some of the most tested mags out there. Current issue for the US Marine Corps and the US Air Force among others.

About seven or eight years ago at work, we tested Lancers vs Gen 2 PMAGS.  Essentially performance, durability and reliability were the same but volume pricing on the PMAGs was better than Lancers.

I was an early adopter of 300 blackout as a hunting round and went to Lancers exclusively for 300 blackout before anyone made 300 blackout specific magazines partly for easy, identification, and partly because the lancers accommodated longer sub sonic rounds better than 5.56 PMAGS or GI mags.

View Quote

This, clear lancer mags for my 300 BO ammo and nothing else gets loaded in them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:46:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Do you have the link of TGC’s testing?
View Quote

Destroying AR15 Mags for SCIENCE
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Of the 2, I use/prefer Lancer.

That being said, Back when pmags were $80/10 shipped, I was stacking those deep of 556/308.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#23]
The advantage of the clear mag body aspect of Lancer has very little to do with a firefight mag inspection - nobody does that.  The advantage is during prep and cold handling and manipulation.  

Do I have a full 30?   What ammo is in it?  Is it mixed ammo?  Any flipped primers? (Most don't, but I have looked).

Since Lancers are multicolored in offering, I have the whole rainbow, which is great as it let's me sort by ammo type
 Because for various reasons, I will almost always have a spectrum of different ammo.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I have both.  I like lancer 30rd mags and pmag 20rd mags.  I have been on a 20rd pmag kick lately.  Not sure why.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By kered:
Magpuls for 556
Lancers for 458
Metal mags for 6.8

View Quote

I have a bunch of the Barrett 6.8 mags. I paint markered them with caliber years ago. The white paint marker has held up very well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Prefer Lancers.

I also don't discriminate and own enough copies of both to fill a car trunk.
View Quote
Same.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:04:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WriterClarke] [#27]
I've had two Lancers (30rd Smoke) die on me. Think something was wrong with that batch as the steel wrap came off one and the feedlips bent on the other from a drop into some rocks while out shooting. Both were loaded.
I've grabbed some newer ones as I really like translucent mags and 20 rounders, so Lancers are the only real option. Hoping these new ones don't fail like the old ones. Until I've vetted these, I'm sticking to PMags as I've never had one fail so far.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:15:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#28]
Originally Posted By 50cal:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 50cal:
Originally Posted By kered:
Magpuls for 556
Lancers for 458
Metal mags for 6.8

At first read I thought those were mag counts.

I mean... this IS AR15.com afterall
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Midway has clear and smoke lancer 10 packs for $99.99.  A good price for you to try some OP.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Pmag. They work.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 11:07:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redman556] [#32]
Lancers, clear OD green.

I have  a bunch of P Mags that I got on sale over the years, but they're backups to my Lancers, I still need to buy a dozen more Lancers. Reasoning, the Lancers have metal feed lips, and the polymer is better.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By azmp5:
Of the 2, I use/prefer Lancer.

That being said, Back when pmags were $80/10 shipped, I was stacking those deep of 556/308.
View Quote

Midway has Lancer’s on sale: 10 for $90. Free shipping if you spend $100
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Lancers are my favorite.  Never had a failure.

But I’ve got a mix of Lancer, Pmag, a few ETS, and aluminum mags.  Bunch of Okay, D&H and Centers.  

I did have 2 early Pmags split down the back.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By panthermark:
While I own more Pmags than Lancers, it is at least 50/50.  I might use Lancers more because I shoot 300blk.  (Lancer 5.56's work a bit better for 300blk).   Will get a Tmag or two when they come out.
View Quote

You own more PMAGS than lancers but it is 50/50?
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Pmag.

Nothing against Lancers, but other than GI mags, Pmags are all I have or use.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Lancers by far in for the win for me.  PMags will not work with many of the cats I shoot whereas the Lancers do.  Plus, crystal clear which makes cartridge identification easier.  And all the different colors…another addiction to feed!
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Medicin3Man:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Medicin3Man:
Originally Posted By panthermark:

At least.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#39]
PMAGs bought cheap and stacked deep. I have nothing against lancers, have a few and they're fine. Personally I don't think you can go wrong either way. Honorable mention being GI w/Magpul followers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By myitinaw:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2024 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Have a bunch of Lancers, PMAG, and USGI aluminum.  USGI look the most sexy, see-through Lancers are awesome, pmag are the easiest to seat on a closed bolt when fully loaded. Only mag I've ever "broke" was dropping a loaded Lancer from head height onto a hard floor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#42]
...yes
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Pmag. They work as intended. Lancers are hit and miss. Some guns like em, some won't even feed a single round. Pmags just run. There's a reason they're issued kit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

I get both. A windowed Pmag is what's in my "asshole repellent" rifle but I have lots of Lancers too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I like Lancers better but both work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Both, but I prefer PMAGs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

Pmag. They work as intended. Lancers are hit and miss. Some guns like em, some won't even feed a single round. Pmags just run. There's a reason they're issued kit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

Interesting.  What brand guns don't work with Lancers?

I have a bunch of ARs and have never had a problem with feeding from Lancers.  They aren't quite as smooth as pmags, but nothing is.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:

Interesting.  What brand guns don't work with Lancers?

I have a bunch of ARs and have never had a problem with feeding from Lancers.  They aren't quite as smooth as pmags, but nothing is.
View Quote

Sorry to butt-in, and bear in mind this is just an anecdote...

Hearing about people with guns that don't like a particular brand of mag... it seems to be certain guns don't like certain mags, not certain brands of guns don't like certain mags.

Example: Someone once mentioned their Knights didn't like Okay's. My Knights loves Okay's.  A DMPS I had in 2008 hated Gen1 PMAGs. An acquaintance of mine had the same gun and it liked Gen1 PMAGs.

As I said before, this is just anecdotal observations; take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I prefer Lancer.  All the issues I have had and witnessed others having with PMAGs were material failures in the areas that Lancer reinforces with a metal insert.  Feed lips, mag catch pocket, and particularly in 308 mags the inside front toward the top where bullet tips deform the plastic when they slam forward in the mag under recoil.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:38:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Lancers by a mile.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
PMags or Lancers? (Page 1 of 2)
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top