User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 23
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VeritatisUnus:
So what stock position seems to work best? How does the eye relief compare to a TA33 if anyone has both?
View Quote

The eye relief is longer and eye box is bigger on the TA33 but the field of view is a lot better on the PA. The reticle is better too. There’s nothing out there even comes close to the TA33 on the size of the eye box. It kinda spoils you once you get used to it and try out other optics.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Snagged a blackout 3x when they first released for a 10.5 300 aac whitetail upper and kinda fell in love with it. Digging the 556 ACSS 3x on this dissy.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Just10mm:

I’ll take it a step further. PA should offer the optic sans their mount and partner with ADM to offer a discounted mount of the height of your choice.

The ADM mounts take these optics to the next level IMHO.
View Quote

Pulling out the unintentional pun. Oof
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:23:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eight_Ring] [#4]
Late to the thread--but what's the consensus /Pro's/Con's on the Green 3X?

Seems like a nice value with the Bonus Bucks.

Green 3X with $75 Bonus Bucks...
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 1:39:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anybody used these mounted to a fixed carry handle? Sorry don't have time to read whole thread.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AS556:
Has anybody used these mounted to a fixed carry handle? Sorry don't have time to read whole thread.
View Quote

I didn't realize this was an option because if it is...
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AS556:
View Quote

Yes, half way down the previous page.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By willyj73:

Yes, half way down the previous page.
View Quote

Thanks.

@mrw

How are you liking this setup? Eye relief/ height pretty usable?
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 5:11:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Bottom of page 15 as well
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 11:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KTM300XCW] [#11]
I have mine (1x) mounted to the carry handle of my truck gun. This gun gets banged around alot (has fresh paint on it in this photo) and the optic has been flawless. One of the 1x risers actually has a channel that let's you still use your iron sights. I'm not sure if the 3x has the same riser or not.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:06:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Eight_Ring:
Late to the thread--but what's the consensus /Pro's/Con's on the Green 3X?

Seems like a nice value with the Bonus Bucks.

Green 3X with $75 Bonus Bucks...
View Quote

Buy. I have the 3x in red and 1X in green. I really don’t have a preference for color.

Don’t buy the MI QD mount. Get one of the ADM. The MI’s have to be super tight which really hinders the “QD” aspect of those mounts.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:19:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AS556] [#13]
I'm liking those carry handle mounts. Think I'll put the 3x on here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:26:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#14]
This is Penny. I built her around the 3x micro (my third slx 3x). She weighs in at 7.1 lbs and shoots like a dream.

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Any update on the Piggy Back RDS mount for these?
View Quote

The only thing I've seen is the image posted on Instagram.  I'm also eagerly awaiting.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Not nearly enough eye relief.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Baq:
Not nearly enough eye relief.
View Quote

Just tried it. Absolutely not.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#19]
The Primary Arms Mini Reflex 12 O'Clock Mount For PAO MicroPrisms is available for pre-order.  No idea when they will actually ship.

Now if they'd just release that SLx 5x!
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MRW:
I just held my 1x out at arms length and I can still clearly see the reticle and space around it.

Not so for 3x?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Just tried it. Absolutely not.
I just held my 1x out at arms length and I can still clearly see the reticle and space around it.

Not so for 3x?

You can see the reticle but it's a tiny hole. I would consider it unusable.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By PrimaryArms:We'll see what we can do!
View Quote

ADM now has "The Right Stuff" for the PA micro-prisms:  AD-B2-L  (Ya have to pick "AD-B2-L" from the drop-down).

Unlike the others, this is just the low base (no integral risers/cantilevers), allowing users to choose from the modular options included in the PA system.

"The B2-L Mount features the same footprint as our standard B2 Mount, however the overall length has been shortened to match the SLX Micro Prism Scope"

THIS is the one you should try to offer as a QD option.

The others (with integral risers/cantilevers) are very nice, but don't meet every ones needs.  With fixed heights and offset, you have no future options if you should decide you want a different height or offset (except by purchasing another complete mount at great expense).  The PA modular system is better.

If I had waited a month, I wouldn't have needed to chop an AD-B2-STD to 1.75"!
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Is it crazy to put one of these low powered prism scopes on a hunting pistol instead of a low powered traditional scope or a red dot? I think the eye relief is long enough to be useable.  

6" 357 with a 3x prism?
View Quote

I have a T/C Contender in 7-30 Waters and use a LER rifle scope on it.  I can get within about 6" of the occular without it hitting my ballcap from recoil.  That gun kicks more than a 357 so I think it imay be possible.  The hard part is getting used to the shooting position being all scrunched up.  My Contender has a wood forend for my support hand and I also have a sling to push against.  A revolver would be a different proposition.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Dumb question:  anyone put a clip on thermal in front of a 3x micro?

I have a weird use case for one if I could use it with my Rattler TC35….
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:

View Quote

I can't comment yet but I just got a 3x in today from their blem sale that I will be trying with PVS-27 I^2 and C35 thermal clip-ons.  

I'm a little surprised how good the image is for the price on these.  This makes me really want to try a 5x with the mil reticle.  Hopefully there is not a steep drop off in image quality going from 3x to 5x.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:26:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#27]
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:

I can't comment yet but I just got a 3x in today from their blem sale that I will be trying with PVS-27 I^2 and C35 thermal clip-ons.  

I'm a little surprised how good the image is for the price on these.  This makes me really want to try a 5x with the mil reticle.  Hopefully there is not a steep drop off in image quality going from 3x to 5x.
View Quote

Look at the pictures I just posted in the 5X topic. They’re from c_does video and he does a phenomenal job with a camera. The 3X is insanely good but the 5X doesn’t look like it stacks up too well.

I’d like to hope he got a bad example somehow, but his findings were not great glass, reticle not as bright as the 1 and 3X, and price is almost twice as much as the Vortex that outperforms it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#28]
@PrimaryArms any idea when the piggyback mounts will ship out?
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#29]
These things are great on AK-74s as well…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:

View Quote

@74novaman

I tried it tonight briefly.  It looks like it is going to work nicely with a Steiner C35 thermal and OSTI PVS-27 NV clip-on.  I really like how far back the weight of the clip-on sits with this setup.  It basically eliminates the one gripe I have about clip-ons...  destroying the balance of the rifle.  I'm probably going to have to buy more of these microprisms

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:

@74novaman

I tried it tonight briefly.  It looks like it is going to work nicely with a Steiner C35 thermal and OSTI PVS-27 NV clip-on.  I really like how far back the weight of the clip-on sits with this setup.  It basically eliminates the one gripe I have about clip-ons...  destroying the balance of the rifle.  I'm probably going to have to buy more of these microprisms

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163138/20230724_220310_jpg-2897069.JPG
View Quote

Thank you, much appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 7:22:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PortaJohnPicasso] [#32]
I took it to the range tonight.  Easy zero, was just a little low, but centered.

I'm going to like it.  A lot.  The eye relief is fine, is easy to "throw" up the rifle and have a good sight picture.  The reticle works for me and was easy to dial in to look crisp and clear.  The glass is better than I expected at the price point.

I'll buy more.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Well this is disappointing. I knew by looking at it that the piggyback mount wouldn’t be duty grade but I hope it would at least be pretty solid. Brassfacts (a pretty autist-level YouTuber) just posted this on Instagram.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#35]
And for those of us that don't have FB or Instagram what is the situation on the 12 oclock mount.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 2:24:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#36]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
And for those of us that don't have FB or Instagram what is the situation on the 12 oclock mount.
View Quote

Bends when dropped. If bad enough, it causes both the prism and the red dot to lose zero. I was kind of worried this would be the case with the way it ties in.

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:37:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joedirt199] [#37]
I have been looking at unity riser rail with a 2"+ t1/t2 mount with open center to see through the t2 mount with the 3x prism for a 12 oclock reddot. Would be a more robust reddot option.

Both options for attaching reddots to the prisms look a little flimsy. But most people don't throw and drop there rifles.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
I have been looking at unity riser rail with a 2"+ t1/t2 mount with open center to see through the t2 mount with the 3x prism for a 12 oclock reddot. Would be a more robust reddot option.

Both options for attaching reddots to the prisms look a little flimsy. But most people don't throw and drop there rifles.
View Quote

Me and another guy were messing with this and it seems to work. It's back in the thread somewhere. Iirc it will see fine through the center of the unity mount but a t2 sits too low so u can't see the dot. It looked like a duty on the t2 height would work but I didn't want to unbolt shit to try it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah I saw where you had it mounted up with the unity. I was looking at the battle arms or scholarworks as they have the most open centers on the mount. Trinity has a lower co witness rail riser that would get the mount to clear the prism. Dot is going to be pretty high though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#40]
What’s the consensus on eye relief vs the 1x? I’m looking at putting either one a Ruger American bolt .22
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 12:51:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#41]
Originally Posted By radar1225S:
What’s the consensus on eye relief vs the 1x? I’m looking at putting either one a Ruger American bolt .22
View Quote

The 1X will work on anything. The 3X is significantly tighter, but I’d consider it useable from about 2.25 to 4.5 inches. You’ll start seeing the shadow of the prism on the left at about 3.25 inches. At 4.5” it’s definitely more sensitive but the sight picture isn’t all that bad. It does quickly go down hill from there though. If needed I could still make shots with my head as far back on the stock as it will go. It doesn’t have the light switch effect like LPVO’s do when outside of the eye box.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the info!! Do you think the 3x is finicky enough for me to be annoyed with it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 2:12:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#43]
Originally Posted By radar1225S:
Thanks for the info!! Do you think the 3x is finicky enough for me to be annoyed with it?
View Quote

Hard for me to say without having had hands on with one. The cantilever mount pushes it back quite a bit but you also have to worry about vertical eye placement using that. There are likely some non AR users that could speak to it more than me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

Hard for me to say without having had hands on with one. The cantilever mount pushes it back quite a bit but you also have to worry about vertical eye placement using that. There are likely some non AR users that could speak to it more than me.
View Quote

I would also caution that the cantilever idea is not all that great. The reason I say that is recent experience with ADM and their lack of customer service warranty that they have on their bases. I worked on a gun for a friend that he had had a sling unlace (Yes it was not laced correctly). It fell approximately 2 ft and the cantilever base from ADM bent a couple degrees. I told my buddy, it's no big deal contact ADM, they should stand behind it.

Nope, ADM told him tough luck!
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Would the 3X be recommended and suitable for a 20” A4 style rifle?
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:
View Quote

On the carry handle?
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#47]

On the carry handle?
View All Quotes

On the carry handle?

No I was going to take the carry handle off and put it on the receiver rail. But I’m no expert.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#48]

No I was going to take the carry handle off and put it on the receiver rail. But I’m no expert.
View All Quotes

On the carry handle?

Should work fine either way. I kinda like them on the carry handle
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes

On the carry handle?

Should work fine either way. I kinda like them on the carry handle
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20230911_151228_2_jpg-2952794.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20230405_111852_jpg-2771365_jpeg-2952795.JPG

Looks awesome! How is cheek weld?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a 3x on a ruger ranch x39 in an arm qd low mount. Works well enough. The LOP is long in these so it makes it not quite perfect, but still good. A youth stock or just a couple inches chopped off would make it nice.
Page / 23
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top