Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2024 4:09:55 PM EDT
I recently bought A2 handguards from H&R and when I tried installing them on my Armalite AR10, they don't seem to want to close all the way. They are fine in the front though.
What should I do to get them to fit? Wanted to get a diagnosis/solution for this before I start dremeling anything.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:30:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#1]
AR-15/M-16 handguards?  On an AR-10?  Is that dimension the same, even tho the nut is larger?  I don't have a large frame.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:26:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#2]
I don't know about the A2 round hand guards, but with the A1 Triangular hand guards, you need the early originals off the A1 M16's.  The heat shields are tapered and get large enough at the back to clear the Armalite AR-10 barrel.
The later ones (or maybe they are reproductions) have heat shields that have parallel sides all the way to the back and won't clear the Armalite AR-10 barrel diameter (at the base).

Tony

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Update, even removing the heat shields did not resolve the issue. Maybe the channel in which the handguards slip over the teeth of the barrel nut is too shallow? I bought a set of OEM Armalite handguards from EveryGunPart to see if the factory handguards have the same problem.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
A little dremel work and they fit now!

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top