Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2018 10:30:58 AM EDT
Brand new Bushmaster. Rear pin required drift and significant hammer taps to remove. Pin moves freely and smoothly in lower. Even worse was reinstalling. I had to resort to serious pressure (padded vise jaws) to get upper and lower close enough to each other to get pin in. Then it required further tapping to get it in fully. Once assembled, action appears to work correctly. Impossible to continue to endure this take-down hassle. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Go through the return hassle or do some light sanding.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#2]
If the stock tube is screwed in where it comes past the top inside edge of the lower the upper will hit it and not close fully causing the pin to seem tight.

I have seen a front pin that was bent slightly. It would work fine without the upper on but the bend gave problems and would not allow it to go all the way through when the upper was installed.

I have seen uppers where the area right behind the front or rear lugs was not milled flush with the rest of the uppers contact surface. It would hit on the areas where the high part overlapped the lowers top surface and made it difficult to close down.

I have seen uppers where the rear curve was to far back and would hit the curve in the lower before it closed all the way. It was on a few non feed ramp uppers I bought and they would close barely on some lowers but not close on others.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#3]
If it's new factory, I'd try to go through the hassle of returning it before possibly taking off metal.

See how it fits with bolt carrier out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Go shoot the thing.  It will loosen up

I much prefer them to be tight to start.   All the stags I have assembled needed a hammer to move the pins.   Shoot it. Oil the pins.  Work them in and out while watching TV.  All will be good
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I like a tight fit. You likely have no wobble between the receivers because of the tight fit.
Many people add wedges or screws to achieve what you already have.
It will get easier to move the pin after you work it in and out enough.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
C'mon, man, just fix it, but first break it in which will loosen it some. Then you would examine the pin hole in the upper receiver rear locking lug to see where the pin is rubbing it - verify corresponding rub marks on the pin. Take a few light swipes with a properly-sized round file centered on the rub area, filing halfway around the hole. Assemble and pin - should be a lot better, maybe good enough because it will wear some more.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like a tight fit. You likely have no wobble between the receivers because of the tight fit.
Many people add wedges or screws to achieve what you already have.
It will get easier to move the pin after you work it in and out enough.
View Quote
^^^ This!
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Where'd 1-post OP go???  Joined in 2011, and posted once since then? Never acknowledged or thanked the helpful Arfcommers in the thread. Bad form dude. Bad form.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
OP is back. Sorry for the poor form.

Sent to factory. Buffer tube installed incorrectly from factory. Just received back and all is good. Thanks for the guidance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the stock tube is screwed in where it comes past the top inside edge of the lower the upper will hit it and not close fully causing the pin to seem tight.

I have seen a front pin that was bent slightly. It would work fine without the upper on but the bend gave problems and would not allow it to go all the way through when the upper was installed.

I have seen uppers where the area right behind the front or rear lugs was not milled flush with the rest of the uppers contact surface. It would hit on the areas where the high part overlapped the lowers top surface and made it difficult to close down.

I have seen uppers where the rear curve was to far back and would hit the curve in the lower before it closed all the way. It was on a few non feed ramp uppers I bought and they would close barely on some lowers but not close on others.
View Quote
Nailed it. I had not seen or heard of this before. All anybody has to do is pick up the military shop manual on the M4 and the assembly instructions and pictures are great, including a detail on how to catch the buffer retaining pin body with the extension and to thread it in no farther. The M16 has the rifle extension with a stop flange so all you have to do is guide the buffer retaining pin under the lip as it tightens up.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top