Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2020 9:25:11 PM EDT
I was asking in the general rimfire section if a 10/22 with a binary trigger was noticeably more reliable than a 22lr AR with a binary trigger, and was advised to ask here.

So, like the title says... how reliable is something like a CMMG 22lr upper or conversion kit when used with a franklin armory binary trigger?
Do they generally drop right in sync with each other or does it take some troubleshooting?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]
My RTB upper is a blast while on a binary lower.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine runs flawless with my dedicated A2 clone upper..CMMG Barrel and stainless BCG. Rest is USGI FN upper, Handgaurds, stock, grip. Lower is a PSA A2 clone lower. Runs great with all the mags I run it in. Black Dog Drum, 25 round BD, Sig mags, SW 15-22 mags. And all the brands of ammo I have tried so far. I use mostly federal and CCI brands though.

No tuning or anything was necessary at all. It just works. Probably more than you wanted to know or hear. But I really like this setup alot and like to show it to people. Having the A2 clone lower I even have the burst setting for binary  I am going to try it with a 20 year old parkerized Ciener drop in kit, the type with the chamber adapter VS my dedicated BCG. Well if the PO has not lost it, but that is another story. If I get the drop in with the camber adapter delivered, I will let you know how it works out VS dedicated.

I will say one thing about the Franklin, I have used my Binary lower with my 5.56 uppers and hate it. But love it with .22 rimfire. Just too uncontrollable with 5.56 for me, and too expensive. I only bought it for rimfire in the first place. But had to try one mag with 5.56. Did not like it at all.

If you are going to have a Binary lower, make sure you have a dedicated .22 upper. It is kinda crazy what the Franklins are selling now for though. I paid 275.00 shipped for mine about 5 months back, and thought that was alot. Glad I bought it when I did,LOL

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks carbineone1964, great info and great looking rifle.
22lr AR is probably the route I'll go for now.
The situation I'm in is a strange one, I'm moving from the most firearm restrictive place in the country to one of the most free, but 1 month before the election.
So while everyone else had years of "salad days" to stockpile before Election Day 2020, I'll have a few weeks of panic prices before a possible Dem win.
A binary trigger is on the list and in budget (and I have plenty of 22lr), I just wanted to figure out the direction I should go with it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:05:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine works pretty much perfect as well. CMMG unit with black dog SS feed lip mags. No tuning or anything. And I am using a 3.5" or whatever the super short one is.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I think this thread is going to cost me some money, time to track down one of those short CMMG uppers for my Franklin pistol.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
22AR with Dead Air Mask, Franklin Armory BFS3, Bore Buddy accessory upgrades.

I abuse the shit out of mine.  The Bore Buddy upgrades are worth it.  Keep it lightly lubed and periodically clean it out completely.  I break the entire upper down and get into all the nooks and crannies you can normally get to when its completely assembled.  That accumulated .22 gunk is nasty especially with the added backpressure from the suppressor. It also likes to get down into the lower so also give that a good cleanout periodically.  You can tell when it starts to get sluggish.

If your going to suppress keeping the bbl length under 5 inches keeps most bulkpack ammo subsonic.  Of course the standard velocity stuff is already subsonic.  I find CCI tends to work best in mine with minimal maintenance.  The Remington Golden Bullet bucket stuff will choke much quicker if I don't clean it out sooner.  But those buckets are cheap and the only way to really be able to afford blowing through ammo all the time.  If your wanting to do mag dumps alot the bucket is the way to go when you can find them of course.

Yes this thread will spend your money.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
One more note. I avoid most of the 'Gunk" buildup in my .22 Rimfires by using dry lubes. No liquid oil ever goes in any of my rimfires. Just asking for a mess in my opinion to use liquid oils in a rimfire..Tiny drop of liquid occasionally on the extractor and firing pin. No where else though.

And when the times comes I do have to do a thorough cleaning. The dry lube system is also a heck of alot easier to clean up.

Right or wrong, the dry lube system works great for me.

Thanks for the comments. The one in the photo is one of my favorite 22 ARs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys, I’m convinced.
Picked up a used BFSiii in the EE.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One more note. I avoid most of the 'Gunk" buildup in my .22 Rimfires by using dry lubes. No liquid oil ever goes in any of my rimfires. Just asking for a mess in my opinion to use liquid oils in a rimfire..Tiny drop of liquid occasionally on the extractor and firing pin. No where else though.

And when the times comes I do have to do a thorough cleaning. The dry lube system is also a heck of alot easier to clean up.

Right or wrong, the dry lube system works great for me
View Quote

Any particular brand you recommend?
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the info guys, I’m convinced.
Picked up a used BFSiii in the EE.

Any particular brand you recommend?
View Quote
McLube Sailkote with Dupont Krytox.  It isn't cheap.

I use it in some mags.  Rimfires get oil.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I too have never had much issue with rimfires and oil as long as you don't leave it for 30yrs.  These AR22 bolts are pretty easy to wipe down. and it just takes the slightest dab of oil on the rails and the extractor and you're G2G.  I may try some of my Dri-Slide Bike Aid on the bolt next time, though.  It works wonders on other metal on metal sliding contact surfaces (non-gun related)
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Hornandy Dry Lube is one alot of people like. I have used Rem Dry Lube too. Also am experimenting with some new PB Blaster Dry lube. Like their other products so am trying that.

I know everyone has their opinion. but there is a night and day difference using dry lube in the short or long term for me. Oil gives me instant gunk. Pretty much from the first shot fired. Dry lube simply does not. No gunk and slurry. Just dust.  To each his own though..
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top