Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2024 3:02:40 PM EDT
Hey all -

I've just put a new stock on my main AR, and I've found I'm just a bit inside the eye-box on my Eotech VuDu 1-6X when I've got the stock set comfortably. Moving the Eotech Scope forward on the rail by two spaces gets it perfect. Considering I virtually NEVER shoot beyond 200yds with this rig, do I need to go through the whole zero process again?

My thanks in advance for any help!
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I would. Don't have to go thru the entire zero process but checking it is absolutely worthwhile.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:07:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#2]
Given a good rail and good mount it shouldn’t be off much.  Might not be off at all, or a bunch.

I would confirm zero.   Next time pull the upper off before you move the scope, do a bore sight check on the optic.   Move the optic and recheck.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It may have changed, it may still be dead on.

No one here is going to be able to give you a definitive answer about your gun, so fire off a few rounds at a target at your zero distance when you’re at the range to confirm, no need to make it complicated.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
If the mount has no bearing on an anti-rotation tab or the like, I'd fo. Shouldn't be off more than 0.5 MOA. Refine at your convenience.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:28:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#5]
Absolutely re-zero.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:
Absolutely re-zero.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
any time I pull the scopes off I feel the desire to re verify zero.  

good excuse for range time!

that said, I was pulling the lpvo off the primary boomstick so it would fit in the
"not a rifle bag" for a while, and it held zero pretty well.  now I just let the grip stick out the slightly open zipper.  need a new "not a rifle bag" or some other way to disguise it.  

moving the scope a few spaces forward or back shouldn't make any difference if the rail is machined correctly.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the opinions guys ....

If you're wondering why the reluctance to go out an re-zero, it's VERY heavily wooded where I am and very hilly. There's only one spot on the property where I've got a relatively flat and clear LOS out to 200+ yds, and it's a HELL of a trek to get there .... and it's POURING rain today lol.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, but you likely won't be off much at all. Still needs doing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DWPW:
Hey all -

I've just put a new stock on my main AR, and I've found I'm just a bit inside the eye-box on my Eotech VuDu 1-6X when I've got the stock set comfortably. Moving the Eotech Scope forward on the rail by two spaces gets it perfect. Considering I virtually NEVER shoot beyond 200yds with this rig, do I need to go through the whole zero process again?

My thanks in advance for any help!
View Quote

We did exactly this, but in the opposite direction, on my SIL's build and it took him from center of paper to the edge of the paper after simply moving the scope rearwards on the rail.  Absolutely you must zero again.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a primary arms 1-6 lpvo on my 16” gun. It’s in a basic adm qd mount. I’ve taken the scope off and remounted it a bunch of times and it’s always spot on when I go shooting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#12]
You should 100% reconfirm
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:34:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EdgecrusherXES] [#13]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Given a good rail and good mount it shouldn’t be off much.  Might not be off at all, or a bunch.

I would confirm zero.   Next time pull the upper off before you move the scope, do a bore sight check on the optic.   Move the optic and recheck.
View Quote

Like he said good chance it will be close or no change at all.  I have done this using QD mounts and seem minimal to no shift at all.  The minimal was within an inch or two.  I would conform though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Be aware that any difference in torque on the mounting screws will shift you POI.  Unless it's a throw lever, moving it means retorquing the screws which can mean different POI.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

Like he said good chance it will be close or no change at all.  I have done this using QD mounts and seem minimal to no shift at all.  The minimal was within an inch or two.  I would conform though.
View Quote

Most decent QD mounts are designed to be removed and reattached.  If you put a QD back in the same place on the rail it should be close.  The same isn't true for non-QD mounts, and moving forward or rearward on the rail will change POI, as will the tightening of mounting screws differently.  I have seen with my own eyes how extreme a shift it can be, so it would be silly not to confirm zero.  Hell, I re-confirm zero on my hunting rigs every year before taking to the woods.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe. But you won't know until you check.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
My OCD makes me re-zero the day before at the same elevation as whatever major match I attend.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I swapped out my A2 flash hider for a Smith Vortex.  I zero'd it this morning.  My zero changed by 1.5" at 50 yards.  

If you change anything on the barrel or optics - re-zero.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#20]
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:
I swapped out my A2 flash hider for a Smith Vortex.  I zero'd it this morning.  My zero changed by 1.5" at 50 yards.  

If you change anything on the barrel or optics - re-zero.

View Quote
Did you mic it near the same OAL and torque the same? Edit: had KAC M4QD on the brain.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Nope.  You tighten the Vortex by hand and it self tightens.  It weighs more than the A2 and is longer.  

Anything you do tithe barrel requires a re-zero.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:00:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#22]
Originally Posted By DWPW:
Thanks for all the opinions guys ....

If you're wondering why the reluctance to go out an re-zero, it's VERY heavily wooded where I am and very hilly. There's only one spot on the property where I've got a relatively flat and clear LOS out to 200+ yds, and it's a HELL of a trek to get there .... and it's POURING rain today lol.

View Quote

It’s VT, pick a quiet town highway.

I kid I kid.

Most I have been off is 1 to 1.5 moa, doing the fore/aft rail reposition.   I have played with QRW leupold rings and Larue mounts both to see if they shift much.  They don’t.  Just hold the ring/mount forward against the slot of the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#23]
There's only one spot on the property where I've got a relatively flat and clear LOS out to 200+ yds
View Quote

50/200?  A 50 yard near zero will get you damn close @200, depending the the ammo and the height of your mount.  You can always run your numbers through a ballistic calculator and establish your near zero distance for any downrange zero as well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Always confirm your zero if you are moving your scope around. It will only take what, two to three mins max?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Always check.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
I would. Don't have to go thru the entire zero process but checking it is absolutely worthwhile.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes you need to rezero.  You'll be off, but not by much.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top