Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2024 1:11:14 AM EDT
Like most of arf. I have more than one AR. I’ve tried to set a few up in very similar ways and it’s got me thinking a bit. I just got back a few SBR stamps the other day and I’m re-considering how I want a light on a short barrel setup. Currently the rifle has a 7.5 barrel on it and a rail that leaves about 1” of barrel exposed. I’m thinking. “ I wonder if anyone makes a light with a front sight built in, that’s intended for use on the 12:00 position. Only found cheap Chinese junk. So. Ok. Start looking for rail mounted lights and the Streamlight RM1 and 2 came up. The shorter upper rail has me set on the RM 1. It seems very similar for activation on my other rifles. (Mod light button in a HRF ramp set up behind DBAL. The tactile feedback would be very similar.

Is anyone here doing something like this with a RM1 ot 2?

The size of the light seems good. Could also go for the larger light with the twist switch but it would be a different activation.

Am I off base here, or is there another maker I should consider?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 2:19:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Surefire Turbo at 12 o’clock on a couple of SBRs.

On my 14.5 I tend to go with a more traditional 1 o’clock position.

Works great, no wires to snag and puts it in a good spot for my thumb.

This is a Geissele 11.5 URGI with Aimpoint T2 setup identical to my work gun for training.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I like rail space.  I have a couple 9mm SBR's with 6" barrel and 7" rails and use a Griffin taper mounts to attach the suppressors.  Obviously that does not work on my Surefire mounts or Silencerco mounts, with those I have a 14.5" SOCOM barrelS.  On my 300blk SBR's that have 9 inch barrels, I still have a 9" handguard and use the Griffin taper mount.

So, my thinking is, I try to get the most handguard length i can.  For someone who does not have suppressors, you can run flash cans.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MONGO45:
I use a Surefire Turbo at 12 o’clock on a couple of SBRs.

On my 14.5 I tend to go with a more traditional 1 o’clock position.

Works great, no wires to snag and puts it in a good spot for my thumb.

This is a Geissele 11.5 URGI with Aimpoint T2 setup identical to my work gun for training.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86935/IMG_7054_jpeg-3242296.JPG
View Quote

My humble recommendation is to never drop your rifle onto your SF light. The tailcap isn't designed to sit unprotected and will snap off (ask me how I know).

Put a fixed front sight behind your Turbo and you'll be GTG.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#4]
X300 Turbo w/ a Unity Tactical EXO (if you can find one) and a DD fixed behind it.

If I’m not utilizing an MFAL, it’s my go-to long gun light setup.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
X300 Turbo w/ a Unity Tactical EXO (if you can find one) and a DD fixed behind it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/IMG_8630_jpeg-3242700.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/IMG_8608_jpeg-3242701.JPG
View Quote

I’ve seen some short sight radius setups but hot damn. On that top one I think a typical handgun has a longer radius.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:

I’ve seen some short sight radius setups but hot damn. On that top one I think a typical handgun has a longer radius.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NachoDip:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/IMG_8630_jpeg-3242700.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/IMG_8608_jpeg-3242701.JPG

Longer than using the internal front sight in the Unity mount.  

Outside of the fact we’re talking about a 5” barreled.300BLK, end of the day, with a quality optic, BUIS are emergency use items.  The front iron is primarily there to provide protection for the somewhat fragile plastic battery door on the X300.  Use as an iron sight is down the list of concerns for me and when it comes to that, it’s perfectly serviceable at the ranges I’d need an emergency sighting system with that particular gun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Longer than using the internal front sight in the Unity mount.  

Outside of the fact we’re talking about a 5” barreled.300BLK, end of the day, with a quality optic, BUIS are emergency use items.  The front iron is primarily there to provide protection for the somewhat fragile plastic battery door on the X300.  Use as an iron sight is down the list of concerns for me and when it comes to that, it’s perfectly serviceable at the ranges I’d need an emergency sighting system with that particular gun.
View Quote

Fair statement. I do think it’s funny though. It would make a good protector.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top