AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2024 1:48:53 PM EDT
I know some of you remember these.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

They were based on the Russian drum design, clear poly carbonate back, if I recall, the last 4 or 5 rounds wouldn't feed since they did not copy the Russian 3 round dummy link.
The go for stupid price listings on the auction boards, I got this local for a really decent price, less than a couple new Colt 30 rounders.
I'll probably never run 75 rounds through it, but it was too retro not to get.

Link Posted: 6/9/2024 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]
That’s cool!
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know some of you remember these.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2320/017_jpg-3236814.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2320/012_jpg-3236817.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2320/013_jpg-3236818.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2320/016_jpg-3236819.JPG
They were based on the Russian drum design, clear poly carbonate back, if I recall, the last 4 or 5 rounds wouldn't feed since they did not copy the Russian 3 round dummy link.
The go for stupid price listings on the auction boards, I got this local for a really decent price, less than a couple new Colt 30 rounders.
I'll probably never run 75 rounds through it, but it was too retro not to get.

View Quote

Actually, they DID copy the Russian dummy rounds, but they are usually missing from the drums.  Two of my drums still have the dummy rounds, and the other three do not.  When you say that they go for stupid money in the auctions, what IS the current stupid money price range?
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Actually, they DID copy the Russian dummy rounds, but they are usually missing from the drums.  Two of my drums still have the dummy rounds, and the other three do not.  When you say that they go for stupid money in the auctions, what IS the current stupid money price range?
View Quote

Interesting. I have never seen one with the dummy rounds.
I bought 6 NIB about 20 years back from a dealer that was going out of business. They ended up going to Afghanistan with my brother's unit when they deployed.
They were pretty happy to have them, they didn't get used much because they were a mechanized unit and the locals didn't F with them too much.
When they came back, they couldn't bring them back since they were non issue and considered "war trophies", so they handed them off to a Marine unit that had just rotated in.
I hope they did someone some good.
When they show on GB, usually around $300-$400 is the listed price.
There's one on there now for $450, been there a while.
I don't known what the "sell" for, but that's what people ask for them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Sunday morning AR15 retro fix for all the 80's kids.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Neat! Thanks for sharing. The oldest I’ve seen is the Beta C or the snail mag. Not sure which was first.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're talking about the MGW 90rnd snail mag. That was first and Beta CMAG was released in the same time frame of AWB94 was making its head.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a link from a couple years ago, someone else posting about theirs.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Retro-M16-AR180-drum-finally-found-/123-728999/
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you're talking about the MGW 90rnd snail mag. That was first and Beta CMAG was released in the same time frame of AWB94 was making its head.
View Quote

The "Firepower" 75 round drums that OP started this thread about predate both the MWG 90 round "snail-mag" and the 100 round Beta C-Mag "dual drum". The Firepower drum was produced and sold "before my time", so unfortunately I don't own one.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I've read in various contemporary anecdotes that the Firepower drums weren't very reliable, probably SOF magazine or similar.

Still, an extreeeeemely cool piece, and highly 1970's-1980's Retro.

IIRC, these are also slotted for the AR-18/180 magazine catch. For some reason, I would love to see a front 3/4 picture of an AR-18/180 with a Firepower drum attached.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here's a link from a couple years ago, someone else posting about theirs.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Retro-M16-AR180-drum-finally-found-/123-728999/
View Quote

That’s mine lol

Also a picture of colt using it in their R0750 LMG for sales presentations. The guy in the back is Rob Roy

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Dat open bolt tho.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That’s mine lol

Also a picture of colt using it in their R0750 LMG for sales presentations. The guy in the back is Rob Roy

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/372020/IMG_5169_jpeg-3237275.JPG
View Quote

My apologies for referencing your thread without credit.
Makes me look like a Harvard professor.
That dude looks like he went on to sell lots somewhere in Hawaii after his time with Colt.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've read in various contemporary anecdotes that the Firepower drums weren't very reliable, probably SOF magazine or similar.

Still, an extreeeeemely cool piece, and highly 1970's-1980's Retro.

IIRC, these are also slotted for the AR-18/180 magazine catch. For some reason, I would love to see a front 3/4 picture of an AR-18/180 with a Firepower drum attached.
View Quote

Best my camera could do, it's getting dark.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 4:17:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I have two that were built on Chinese drums with an AR feed tower on them. I’ll have to get some pics as I really don’t know anything about them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got one of those magazines, had it probably 20 years now.  Didn't realize they were listing for that much.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Best my camera could do, it's getting dark.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2320/005_jpg-3237356.JPG
View Quote

Very cool, thanks for posting that pic!
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have two that were built on Chinese drums with an AR feed tower on them. I’ll have to get some pics as I really don’t know anything about them.
View Quote

Called triangle 36 due to the stamp on the drum backing but that’s all I know. I have one as well and they work well. They are preban but don’t know exactly when
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked one up in the 80s after reading about them in one of the magazines (Firepower or Soldier of Fortune I think it was Firepower publication - it was a favorite of the era)

It worked well with my Sendra build (my first AR15).  I never used it much and sold it during the 94 ban run up for a bit.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep, I remember them well in the early ‘80s. Always wanted one and tried to win one on GunBroker last year. I handled them a couple of times, a collector I know has one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I bought 6 NIB about 20 years back from a dealer that was going out of business. They ended up going to Afghanistan with my brother's unit when they deployed.
They were pretty happy to have them, they didn't get used much because they were a mechanized unit and the locals didn't F with them too much.
When they came back, they couldn't bring them back since they were non issue and considered "war trophies", so they handed them off to a Marine unit that had just rotated in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Actually, they DID copy the Russian dummy rounds, but they are usually missing from the drums.  Two of my drums still have the dummy rounds, and the other three do not.  When you say that they go for stupid money in the auctions, what IS the current stupid money price range?

So you personally armed the Taliban?  

Neat find.  I'd say send it to Massachusetts before their ban, but y'all are under the gun as well, IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So you personally armed the Taliban?  

Neat find.  I'd say send it to Massachusetts before their ban, but y'all are under the gun as well, IIRC.
View Quote

Yeah, just as I am now "preserving democracy" in Ukraine through my extorted tax dollars. Never mind they "postponed" elections until whenever.....
The BS magazine restriction and gun purchase permit law HERE got handed back to them to shove. Liberal judge ruled it unconstitutional, it was so egregiously written.
It's only a matter of time until the bastards put another one out there, but until then, "Eff You, statist fuckers".
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, just as I am now "preserving democracy" in Ukraine through my extorted tax dollars. Never mind they "postponed" elections until whenever.....
The BS magazine restriction and gun purchase permit law HERE got handed back to them to shove. Liberal judge ruled it unconstitutional, it was so egregiously written.
It's only a matter of time until the bastards put another one out there, but until then, "Eff You, statist fuckers".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  So you personally armed the Taliban?  

I sent 7x Cammengas & some 18 round MecGars via a buddy to Afghanistan, and he passed em off to someone else.  Wonder if they ever made it back.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I sent 7x Cammengas & some 18 round MecGars via a buddy to Afghanistan, and he passed em off to someone else.  Wonder if they ever made it back.
View Quote

sure they did, your friends 1st Sgt or LT had them in HIS carry on when they headed back stateside!

Those other rules are just for "the little people".
Remember the Major or Colonel that had the AKs brought back from Grenada, in his office if I recall?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top