Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2019 8:00:16 PM EDT
Hi All,

Quick question. I'm thinking of getting a cheap flat top upper to replace my cheap carry handle upper on an old AR. To save some loot, I was thinking of just getting a stripped flat top upper and reusing the the BCG and charging handle from my original upper. Someone once told me, however, that that's not such a hot idea, citing something about how the old BCG and charging handle will have worn in with the original upper and, therefore, might not work as well in a brand new upper that hasn't been broken in. I'm not sure I believe that, but what do I know? Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Danke,
Dr. Blank
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You’ll be fine with the old one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That shouldn’t be an issue. If you’re using a new/different barrel then the headspace can be off between the bolt & the barrel, but that is usually not a problem.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually dedicate a unique bolt to a given barrel.  But I'm not sure that's really necessary.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve used different bcgs and handles in so many different uppers over the years I couldn’t even guess the number and never experienced an issue.

Take that information as you will. I wouldn’t and don’t hesitate to switch stuff around
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The input is much appreciated folks. I never thought it should be an issue to swap parts like this, but I thought it was worth an ask. Thanks!

Dr. Blank
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Not an issue.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve used different bcgs and handles in so many different uppers over the years I couldn’t even guess the number and never experienced an issue.

Take that information as you will. I wouldn’t and don’t hesitate to switch stuff around
View Quote
This is me as well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I would only use a new bolt with a new barrel.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bolts wear with bbl extensions, not receivers.

Changing BCG and CH are a non issue.
View Quote
Allegedly. As far as I'm concerned, if headspace is good, swapping bolts between barrels does not cause any measurable or observable problem.

To answer OP's question, putting a used bolt and charging handled in a new upper receiver won't cause any problems.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You do not agree that bolts wear from contact with the barrel extension?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bolts wear with bbl extensions, not receivers.

Changing BCG and CH are a non issue.
Allegedly.
You do not agree that bolts wear from contact with the barrel extension?
I agree that bolts wear. I don't think extensions and bolts wear in a way that means a used bolt should not be paired with a new barrel, provided headspace is in spec.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top