Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2024 9:28:10 AM EDT
The Youtube video will show the set-up, the process, and comparison to an Anderson barrel, for those that are interested.  
If you just want to see the groups, keep scrolling...

I got the barrel on sale for $140.

What do think about the performance for the price?

What barrels would you expect to do better?

Should I have tested the barrel differently?

Rosco Purebred AR-15 Barrel: Accuracy Tested!

Link Posted: 6/25/2024 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:Cheap barrel and ok accuracy. It did shoot smoothly though.
View Quote

Yes, that gassing on it was very nice

Wow, that was quite an extensive ammo list you went though on your post!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for posting. I had an interest in Rosco barrels because they are local to New England (RI). I've got a Green Mountain (Conway NH) on one rifle that's pretty good. They have a neat YouTube video showing them manufacturing them and I'd like to support a local manufacturer if they produce a barrel that would fit my needs.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it might be useful to show what a known good barrel will do. Say for instance a Krieger or Bartlein, and then compare the other barrel. I like that you are using decent bullets, because that removes one variable from evaluation. The groups were not all that impressive, but then again I don't shoot 30 shot composite targets. However I do shoot plenty of 10 & 20 shot strings in matches so I do have a fair idea of how good barrels can perform with meaningful groups.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 12:34:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#4]
I appreciate that you used meaningful sample sizes. 87% of people won’t understand the results, but that’s their problem.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bpm990d:it might be useful to show what a known good barrel will do.
View Quote

I agree.  I think that would help to put the results in proper context.  Thanks for the feedback!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Would love to see Faxon Match or Gunner barrel tests. Also, Odin Works match or 3 Gun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
Would love to see Faxon Match or Gunner barrel tests. Also, Odin Works match or 3 Gun.
View Quote

I got a Faxon 14.5 Gunner that I'll get to in a couple weeks. I've had it for a while and put a few rounds through it. But I haven't shot any groups with it yet. But, I'm excited to see what I'm able to get out of it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool video, thanks for posting it. Have you run any off the shelf 69 or 77 gr ammo through the barrel? Just curious as it seems that you have your hand loads are very dialed in.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 1:17:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice concise video that captured a lot of methodical work.  Thanks for posting that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:48:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#10]
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jmh556:
Cool video, thanks for posting it. Have you run any off the shelf 69 or 77 gr ammo through the barrel? Just curious as it seems that you have your hand loads are very dialed in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jmh556:

I haven't shot any premium factory ammo through this barrel yet, just hand loads.
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
Nice concise video that captured a lot of methodical work.  Thanks for posting that.

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:43:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AccuracyArsenal] [#12]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
Very Nice ! Thanks for sharing !
View Quote

Thank you !!
Maybe, consider a Criterion Core in the future ?  IE, would a twice as expensive barrel produce 2x the precision ?
View Quote

I recently burnt out a Criterion Core and wanted to see how good the budget barrel were. Unfortunately, I didn't keep any targets when I grouped the Core, but I am confident it did better than the Rosco.

Here is a bore scope video of the current condition of the bore of the Criterion Core... Needless to say, it doesn't group the same as it used to.  I might do a post/video on the Criterion just as a goof.

Criterion Core Chrome Lined Barrel After 15,000 Rounds

Also after seeing some slowmo pencil profile barrels whip, with a A2 muzzle device ( exhaust gases pushing the barrel whip ) , it would be interesting to see the with the A2 v. without the A2 groups.
View Quote

I've had muzzle devices that seemed to cause shifts and changes in accuracy.  Hence why I like to get a baseline without any muzzle device.  

Here is a video of the brake I had on the Criterion and I think I had it on one barrel before that too... I don't think this thing is doing the barrel any favors in the accuracy department. It's kind of hard to see in the video, and I am sure you are aware of this, but the baffles should be flat with a clean hole drilled through it... these baffles are fairly well cratered.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Also after seeing some slowmo pencil profile barrels whip, with a A2 muzzle device ( exhaust gases pushing the barrel whip ) , it would be interesting to see the with the A2 v. without the A2 groups.
View Quote
Pushes after the bullet is gone.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:33:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#14]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:08:11 AM EDT
[#15]
And "about" how hard was the Core ridden ? Maybe a better way to ask would be , on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being "mercilessly" and one being " moderate paced , shoot, back on target, shoot ... etc for 30rds.
View Quote

It was my main barrel for multigun matches. So, 10-40 rounds in 20-60 seconds or so, I guess, during matches.

Most of the rounds were shot during practice though.  During more aggressive practice sessions, I'd shoot it until the handguard gets uncomfortable to hold and then work on pistol or switch to a different rifle.  During less aggressive sessions the handguard wouldn't get uncomfortably hot over an hour.  So, I wouldn't say it's lived an easy life, but, it wasn't a machine gun rental barrel either.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AccuracyArsenal:

Thank you !!

I recently burnt out a Criterion Core and wanted to see how good the budget barrel were. Unfortunately, I didn't keep any targets when I grouped the Core, but I am confident it did better than the Rosco.

Here is a bore scope video of the current condition of the bore of the Criterion Core... Needless to say, it doesn't group the same as it used to.  I might do a post/video on the Criterion just as a goof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBLf3PMS1ZE

I've had muzzle devices that seemed to cause shifts and changes in accuracy.  Hence why I like to get a baseline without any muzzle device.  

Here is a video of the brake I had on the Criterion and I think I had it on one barrel before that too... I don't think this thing is doing the barrel any favors in the accuracy department. It's kind of hard to see in the video, and I am sure you are aware of this, but the baffles should be flat with a clean hole drilled through it... these baffles are fairly well cratered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1CI66wHSo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AccuracyArsenal:
Very Nice ! Thanks for sharing !

Thank you !!
Maybe, consider a Criterion Core in the future ?  IE, would a twice as expensive barrel produce 2x the precision ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBLf3PMS1ZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1CI66wHSo

Yeah when I’m building up a rifle I always start with a bare muzzle and build from there. When you throw the whole thing together you don’t know what is contributing to what in your results, and muzzle device/torque can be a big part of that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top