Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2024 6:31:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vettepilot]
Hi,

Yeah, I'm a welder/fabricator, and I think it would be a riot to build an AR-15 lower receiver out of steel.  I was thinking of a super crude one I had seen a picture of some time ago.  In doing a search for that, I stumbled across the "Flat Spot" steel receiver kit.  I never knew such a thing existed!!

Anyway, links to them don't work anymore.  Are any steel kits still being sold, or are there other offerings similar??

Kudos to Flat Spot for some really "out of the box" thinking on making that kind of thing!!

Vettepilot
PS:  It's rather "entertaining" if you try to go to the old flatspot.net site...
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember the DPMS Stainless lowers. I think I've seen some uppers as well but can't remember who did them. Every time one pops up somewhere they don't seem to sell well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 6:47:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vettepilot] [#2]
Yeah, I think those stainless ones were kind of boutique type lowers.

Those flatspot kits were apparently like 25 bucks.  I would buy a couple at that rate to tinker with...

I want to build something rude/crude.

Possibly even steampunkt-esque....  we'll see.

Vettepilot
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
They are no longer in business, AFAIK.

Another source picked up where they left off, I do not recall who/whether they still offer them.

@backbencher
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:01:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#4]
I saw a guy do a brass lower receiver just for funsies. Forget if he’s a member here. Go for it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Those stainless steel DPMS lowers don’t look any different than an aluminum lower so they would not be suitable for your project.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The history of the Flatspot lower as I understand it.

1st, it was just a set of plates w/ all the FCS holes.  All parts were LASER cut.  They were cheap.

Then, an internal part was added to enhance the safety detent channel.  Prices began rising, and the design was offered for sale.

The TDP was sold to someone who decided not(never intended?) to produce it, and declined to sell it back to The Flat Spot.

The Flat Spot then reintroduced the lower w/o the FCS holes, but prices were still high at a time when aluminum 80% and complete lowers were trending below the steel kit prices.

The Flat Spot then closed its virtual doors.

There was an AR-15 kit and a DPMS Gen 1 .308 class AR kit.

The flats could be welded or brazed.  Superglue didn't work so well.

You could tap the receiver extension ring/buffer tube boss, or weld a castle nut on.

Some ARFCOMers made some pretty nice builds.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember wanting to try one as an exercise in can I make it work. Too bad they’re gone.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I remember the DPMS Stainless lowers. I think I've seen some uppers as well but can't remember who did them. Every time one pops up somewhere they don't seem to sell well.
View Quote

Always kind of wanted one.  I guess it's an oddity, but they are hard to find, but kind of a neat concept.  I'd use it high-power to increase the gun weight.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Always kind of wanted one.  I guess it's an oddity, but they are hard to find, but kind of a neat concept.  I'd use it high-power to increase the gun weight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They were Heavy.  Even Titanium lowers were crazy heavy. I believe Olympic did a few lowers and maybe uppers out of some semi exotic metals as well.  I believe you could get a beryllium lower at one point.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 3:53:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have at least two hiding somewhere but they're hiding.

My son built one.  After a lot of tweeking, it worked.

He assenbled the large plates with superglue then drilled through and put in some nuts and bolts, copper wire and tubing, gears, a gauge of somekind, and used a side charging right hand upper with a reciprocating bolt handle instead of a standard charging handle.  By the time he was finished he had a nice steampunk rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Im surprised theres not more options out there like the Glock pistol builds.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Tango:
Im surprised theres not more options out there like the Glock pistol builds.
View Quote

Are there multiple steel options for Glock builds?
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Not that im aware of.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tango:  Im surprised theres not more options out there like the Glock pistol builds.

Das Eiserne Glock:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/07/18/diy-iron-glock/

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/iron-glock.214022/

Hopefully NE Shooters is a friendly & known forum to ARFCOM, if not, please delete my entire post IOT make it entirely useless.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:30:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dex223] [#15]
@Vettepilot

Here's a discussion on the Flat-Spot lower from two years ago.  Posts #15 and #16 might interest you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Dex223:  @Vettepilot

Here's a discussion on the Flat-Spot lower from two years ago.  Posts #15 and #16 might interest you.
View Quote

Uh - a link?
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#18]
There's always this; the plans are out there on the web.  While most people would make it out of aluminum, it could be made of steel instead.  And, you could get a post-apocalyptic/steampunk look.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Dex223:
There's always this; the plans are out there on the web.  While most people would make it out of aluminum, it could be made of steel instead.  And, you could get a post-apocalyptic/steampunk look.
http://i.imgur.com/kORCT26.jpg
View Quote

https://www.scribd.com/document/97323902/60995712-Scratch-Built-AR-15-Bolt-Together-Receiver-Plans
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Wirebrush:

They were Heavy.  Even Titanium lowers were crazy heavy. I believe Olympic did a few lowers and maybe uppers out of some semi exotic metals as well.  I believe you could get a beryllium lower at one point.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wirebrush:

I remember seeing the berylco ones, as well as brass and wanting them bad but they were spendy
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 12:20:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dex223] [#21]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Uh - a link?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By Dex223:  @Vettepilot

Uh - a link?

Sorry...I thought I attached it.  The link is the one in TiG's post. (Post #19)
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#22]

I feel like it is a lot more machinery and ability is required to fabricate the pieces of that kit than to finish an 80%.  I think that really would drive off the majority people who just want something they can weld together.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Postal0311:

I feel like it is a lot more machinery and ability is required to fabricate the pieces of that kit than to finish an 80%.  I think that really would drive off the majority people who just want something they can weld together.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Postal0311:

There is, since this is a 0% lower.  It's just a set of plans for you to make all of the pieces yourself.  The guy that created it only had a bench-top mini-mill with travel and clearance so small that he couldn't make a one-piece receiver.  I think there was also some proof-of-concept involved.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Supposedly there are some stainless transferable lowers made by Group Industries .
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I always thought a stamped steel AR would be neat.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
I always thought a stamped steel AR would be neat.
View Quote

+1.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Stamped would be cool.  Serbu was working on one.  Not a direct replacement for an AR-15 lower, but an option.  

I bet you could get send cut send to cut all the parts for the flat spot style weld together kit.  Somewhere I have at least one if not 2 or 3 still in the bag.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:34:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#28]
I created a program to machine one out of a block of alumibronze but was never able to find the time to actually get it in a vise and make chips. Still regret not going through with it

I did make an aluminum handguard and 17-4 stainless/aluminum buttstock and sold it here on the EE
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top