Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/13/2024 12:06:31 AM EDT
I am relatively late to the AR-10 game (2022 to be precise). Don’t ask me why (read: proud user of SCAR 17). I bought a DD5V3 on sale in May 2022. ZERO issues, love the rifle.

So what am I perseverating over? Magpul vs other AR-10 magazines, that’s what. My gun likes the new 20 round gen 3 Magpul magazines, and I bought a truck load of them. I have had zero issues feeding everything between M80 147 grain ball and 175 grain SMKs. I keep my rifle clean and lubed (clean after each range trip). I always clean my magazines with a cleaning cloth as well.

So what, if any, advantage is there to buying Lancer magazines or Larue AR-10 magazines over the M3 Magpul AR-10 magazines? I use the magazine cover on the Magpul magazines when keeping 1-2 mags loaded, so I guess long term storage is an issue as the feed lips in theory can pull apart. However, they are lighter and seem to be easier to grab out of a pouch and load. The Lancers are bulkier, don’t seem any more sturdy than the Magpul. I just tried two Larue magazines that were on sale. They are built like tanks, but heavy. I have yet to see any KAC AR-10 magazines for sale, but I am not sure if they are worth > $100 a magazine, especially when they are not for a Sako TRG or AI rifle.

Seriously though, what am I missing out not using steel magazines? I am just shooting IMI and S&B 175 grain SMKs. I’ve had no issues with defense loads either. I am not planning on shooting 180 grain+ Bergers out of my DD rifle, as I have zero time to reload.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 12:17:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jwliv180] [#1]
Apart from no potential for long term deformation of the feed lips if stored loaded? (And of course assuming you lost or forgot to use the covers...)

Maybe a smaller (for all-metal, e.g. not Lancers) cross section so you might maybe can store an extra one or two in an ammo can?

The ability to pontificate when asked about AR-10 mags?

Other brands' 20s are maybe a little cheaper, and/or can handle a slightly longer COAL?

You also want a 6.5 Creed, and the different mags are a good way to differentiate what's loaded with what?

Beats me. If you and your rifle like pmags, I don't see a reason to change.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 1:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jwliv180:
Apart from no potential for long term deformation of the feed lips if stored loaded? (And of course assuming you lost or forgot to use the covers...)
View Quote
The new FDE ones don't seem to come with covers.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 2:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Lancers and metal mags will long outlive Magpul mags if you do a lot of shooting.  Magpul mags get chewed up inside from heavy 308 cartridges slamming forward under recoil especially with OTM bullets.  It's most pronounced toward the top because that's where it gets hit the most (bottom round in the mag is only there once, while the top round is there 20 times).  Use the magazine enough and it will get chewed up enough to start dragging on the follower. I believe this is why the Lancers have a steel liner in the top front.  The plastic pocket for the mag catch will also get wallowed out in the Magpul mag especially if you ever rest the gun on the magazine while shooting prone.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 2:59:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Just like my 5.56 mags....  I stack magpul mags deep but I use lancers.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 4:03:17 AM EDT
[#5]
My LMT does not care for the magpuls.   Lancer and DHA so far work well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
The new FDE ones don't seem to come with covers.
View Quote

The black one I just bought doesn’t come with a cover either. They stopped including them with some magazines for some bizarre reason.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Wirebrush:
Lancers and metal mags will long outlive Magpul mags if you do a lot of shooting.  Magpul mags get chewed up inside from heavy 308 cartridges slamming forward under recoil especially with OTM bullets.  It's most pronounced toward the top because that's where it gets hit the most (bottom round in the mag is only there once, while the top round is there 20 times).  Use the magazine enough and it will get chewed up enough to start dragging on the follower. I believe this is why the Lancers have a steel liner in the top front.  The plastic pocket for the mag catch will also get wallowed out in the Magpul mag especially if you ever rest the gun on the magazine while shooting prone.
View Quote

How much more use do you get out of a Lancer mag than a Magpul M3? Has anyone done a true durability test between the two?
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link to on sale Larue mags?
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MK3110:
Link to on sale Larue mags?
View Quote

I bought them a year ago (maybe Black Friday) in a pack of two mags, $5-10 off each magazine: https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-20-round-7-62-magazines/. Wasn’t mind boggling, but not terrible either. I’m disappointed that they lack a true anti-tilt follower like Magpul’s. You also need to make sure they seat appropriately, whereas the Lancers and Magpuls grab the magazine catch without too much difficulty on my DD5V3.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer the metal 20 rounders simply because they fit in surplus pouches and they work. I have some Lancers and PMags but the metal 20s are what works best for me. No way I'm paying for KAC or LaRue mags. I've tried them and they don't do anything better than my cheaper D&H and Duramags.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I pick up Lancer .308 mags here on the EE periodically.  I have around 15 or 16 of them now. They work great. I bought 5 20rd .308 pmags at a local shop when they had a sale on them for $15 each.
They work great also. Zero problems.  But I prefer the steel feedlips of the Lancers.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Liechtenauer:
I prefer the metal 20 rounders simply because they fit in surplus pouches and they work. I have some Lancers and PMags but the metal 20s are what works best for me. No way I'm paying for KAC or LaRue mags. I've tried them and they don't do anything better than my cheaper D&H and Duramags.
View Quote

I am curious as to your experience with D&H AR-10 magazines. As with duramags, I have read mixed reviews.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't had any problems with D&H mags. If they didn't work I wouldn't use them. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds using the 20 rounders. I don't put any faith in reviews. Most of the people giving bad reviews can barely string a sentence together.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't had any problems with D&H mags. If they didn't work I wouldn't use them. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds using the 20 rounders. I don't put any faith in reviews. Most of the people giving bad reviews can barely string a sentence together.
View Quote

It’s why I wish more people would pay attention to ARFCOM over Reddit, etc. Yes, we have our issues too, but I get far better user feedback on equipment.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 11:23:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Karankawa] [#16]
View Quote

This. C-products have been flawless for me. Really like the floor plate. They remind me of the old Vietnam era straight 20s by Colt. And there are a lot of cool surplus pouches on the market. Retro ARs are my favorite so that guides my preferences.

Don’t forget about drums. The straight Magpul works just fine but the D50 is the one I reach for. Haven’t found a pouch for it so it’s usually stored in the rifle anyway.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top