Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like those uppers on gunbroker that had the sights installed have the depth problem too. You can see that the rear sight doesn't sit straight up and down. One is at 400, you can get an old Colt upper for that.

(Sight installed backwards)

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Makes sense given the dimensions I posted above with the colt being very close to that .050 shelf measurement.
View Quote

The .050 on the Colt drawing is the distance from the bolt hole to the shelf.  If you measure that, you’re probably going to see greater variation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m undeserving of a Sharking.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The .050 on the Colt drawing is the distance from the bolt hole to the shelf.  If you measure that, you’re probably going to see greater variation.
View Quote

That measurement is also the "top part" (lack of better words) of the flat bottom of the carry handle channel.  The sight wheel bolt is also in CL with that flat bottom.

On my Colt and on the H&R that bolt hole and the flat bottom of the carry handle are in visual CL alignment.  (again, not taking the sights apart)

The Shark bolt hole "looks" too high.  In fact, it "looks" 1.27mm (.050 in) too high.

Now, I say "looks" because the 2.877" measurement to the CL of the bolt hole is from the bottom of the receiver (not the takedown pin lugs).  This measurement is correct on my Colt, H&R, and Shark.

The flat bottom of the Shark carry handle however is actually cut 1.27mm to low.  So the whole flat bottom of the carry handle is too low on this receiver and looks like it caused the rest of the sight pocket to be cut wrong.

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Added inch dimensions to your measurements because this is America

Colt - 1.22 mm (.048)

H&R - 1.38 mm (.054)

Shark - 1.39 mm (.055)

Front Shelf;

Colt - 1.25 mm (.049)

H&R - 1.62 mm  (.064)

Shark - 1.57 mm (.061)
View Quote
the front and rear of that top shelf are supposed to be parallel. The depth should be .045 + .010

On A1 sights, the thickness of both apertures should be .100
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The flat bottom of the Shark carry handle however is actually cut 1.27mm to low.  So the whole flat bottom of the carry handle is too low on this receiver and looks like it caused the rest of the sight pocket to be cut wrong.
View Quote

It sure is, it's noticable at the carry handle hole on how thin it is compared to a regular upper.
 1.27mm is quite a bit.   I may just fill in the whole pocket with resin and mill out a new center hole at the correct depth.  I probably won't need to re-mill out the front and back parts much if any.  
 I understand Mikeoutwest's aggravation, but I'm going to keep mine and make it work.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It sure is, it's noticable at the carry handle hole on how thin it is compared to a regular upper.
 1.27mm is quite a bit.   I may just fill in the whole pocket with resin and mill out a new center hole at the correct depth.  I probably won't need to re-mill out the front and back parts much if any.  
 I understand Mikeoutwest's aggravation, but I'm going to keep mine and make it work.  

View Quote

Yep, that hole is very thin compared to my other A1/C7 receivers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]

@TGWLDR

Do you have a link to this drawing?  Looked online and my google skills are sucking right now.....
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@TGWLDR

Do you have a link to this drawing?  Looked online and my google skills are sucking right now.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@TGWLDR

Sent you an email sir.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#10]
PSA!
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#11]
My upper gets delivered today but I won’t be home until friday. Is it truly an easy fix and people bitching cuz that’s what 80% of this community does anyway since they don’t shoot. Is it cuz the sights are not perfectly up and down? Is that why?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My upper gets delivered today but I won’t be home until friday. Is it truly an easy fix and people bitching cuz that’s what 80% of this community does anyway since they don’t shoot. Is it cuz the sights are not perfectly up and down? Is that why?
View Quote

It's been pretty well articulated here already.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hello Red45,
Are you sure you meant to cast dispersions on "80%" of this community for being specific to technical facts and 'bitching' or doing due diligence? They buy something based on very specific non variable specifications. And these folks show where these specs are not being met, and you call them out as bitches.
The Retro' section of AR15 was the one area that seemed to have reasonable, calculating minds looking to preserve and advance the gentleman's hobby of early and historically significant AR15s. The general piss and moan section was the loose lipped section.
If someone is paying a premium for a product that is SuPpOsEd to be dimensionally accurate, they should feel FREE to state where it is shortcoming.
If the Neanderthal wants to assemble his or her boomstick in their own fashion, FEEL free to do so. I play fairly in both ponds. Retro, classic, modern clones, all the way to Steam Punk.
I used to chop off A1 uppers to make Weaver railed uppers with a screw on or weld on rail.
YMMV
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#14]
So super
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought Potomac was the shop that made the uppers, and Potomac is owned by Charlie's Customs?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I thought Potomac was the shop that made the uppers, and Potomac is owned by Charlie's Customs?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It's all fuckey and hard to track.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#17]
More lube
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll see.  
I let them know the exact issue and asked Shark to exchange it since he noted some were not a problem.  He noted:
"that little error in these is the reason we all got lucky to get them and the reason there at the price there at and not at a higher price."
 Shark knew they had messed up product and tried to pass them off.  It's not. Good price at all for how messed up it is.
 I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, I really did, but it's a bamboozle.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Double post
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#21]
This thread is heart breaking as now I wonder the validity of other stuff I bought from Shark Arms.  :(
Especially cause I was thinking of getting an A1 from him next time I saw surplus Colts.  Always thought they were good to go with the hive mind.  Maybe that’s why my FN A2 stock spacer rattled and needed shimming, and the tube was shiney and blacker than I thought they should be.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Chris is great
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  Wow.  You’re unsure about your Chris’ experience?   Here I was thinking there were two (2) camps here:  First, there are the victims that have been burned by Nigerian Prince Chris.  Second, there are the Shills that pitch roses at his feet, and tell you he’s great.    Some say that they bought 20 of these uppers, and they’re “great”.   Maybe he’s not really a crook?  Maybe, just maybe, he’s rebranding stuff as Colt?  I mean, that’s okay right?    That’s not fraud and theft by deception.  Is it?   I’m not sure, perhaps I should run it by the District Attorney’s Office.   They always look at things from a different perspective.  Perhaps they already know about Chris?    Stay tuned.   The other shoe might drop.
View Quote

A DA's office isn't going to give two shits about a few hundredths of an inch on a reproduction aluminum rifle part that isn't serialized.  It's a civil matter, that falls well below where it's worth hiring a lawyer, and below even flying there to sue in Small Claims Court.  Best you can do is a chargeback.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Well shark now has complete A1 upper assemblies for 875$
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well shark now has complete A1 upper assemblies for 875$
View Quote

Saw that last week too. DTI bbls, repop guards, and Colt/not Colt BCGs.

That heyday is past there, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I would gladly buy 20 more to get these at a certain price point given the flaw. Obviously, there is a market for an aperture specifically for these uppers. I'm not going to waste my time bitching about it. I'm going to rise to the challenge. There is already enough information on this thread to solve the puzzle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This thread is heart breaking as now I wonder the validity of other stuff I bought from Shark Arms.  :(
Especially cause I was thinking of getting an A1 from him next time I saw surplus Colts.  Always thought they were good to go with the hive mind.  Maybe that’s why my FN A2 stock spacer rattled and needed shimming, and the tube was shiney and blacker than I thought they should be.
View Quote

We went over this in another thread but maybe if you bought one 5 years ago it was legit, now the "FN Stocks" aren't. Mine has decent commercial parts, except the spring that's too large and the glossy 6061 receiver extension that he swears is 7071 and FN.

His go to scam is when you mention what you want and all of a sudden he happens to have exactly what you need, just one of them thou, in stock and it's in brand new condition but since it's rare and mint it's going to cost more. Then you get a pile of crap that's nothing as advertised that you paid way too much for.

Oh and you have to pay return shipping and he may or may night credit you back.

I think the people that love him remember that in the past he used to have legit stuff but haven't ordered in years, others don't know what they got is overpriced commercial stuff or they just have really low standards and think that getting a wonky upper is perfectly fine and we're all being too picky wanting things... in spec.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#28]
It was in 2019 when I got the stock kit. I got an FN BCG that was magically in stock when I asked, but it checks out with the markings.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would gladly buy 20 more to get these at a certain price point given the flaw. Obviously, there is a market for an aperture specifically for these uppers. I'm not going to waste my time bitching about it. I'm going to rise to the challenge. There is already enough information on this thread to solve the puzzle.
View Quote

The info is here for sure.

At $225, and having to make and install an insert, is it worth it?  Once H&R gets up to speed, these will be tossed aside.  Plus it doesn't solve the super thin carry handle bottom.  
 I've thought of making a taller sight spring that is squared at the top versus rounded, thus preventing the sight from going too far forward or back when flipped.

I'll buy one of your solution aperatures when you make them.

Shark noted that he has sold several of the complete uppers using these same uppers, using the bended spring method.  The gap is too big for the bent spring method on mine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I actually got a better deal since purchased in bulk. The best fix in this situation in my opinion is tailoring the sight aperture to the 2 known issues. Most of these sights are cast. The new aperture would need to be made on CNC. Both apertures would need to be a little wider on the outward face. The base of the aperture would need a little more thickness on the three sides. Best bet would be local mom and pop machine shop. I could draft the aperture on AutoCAD if I had access to the program. I called a few of the big names and nobody is taking on small orders as such.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I wonder how an unmilled A1 or A2 aperture casting looks. Just curious if those areas still have the material needed to make one for these uppers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
. The base of the aperture would need a little more thickness on the three sides. Best bet would be local mom and pop machine shop. I could draft the aperture on AutoCAD if I had access to the program. I called a few of the big names and nobody is taking on small orders as such.
View Quote

So adding material in these areas of the sight would eliminate the need for a shim and the sight would sit perpendicular to the plane of the carry handle trough.  @srand1111 noted that the pocket was off by 1.27mm.  
 I won't have time to play with it until next week, but I wouldn't see an issue with adding 1mm+ of material with a weld, then taking it back off to the desired thickness.  I've welded these sights before, so they will take it.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#33]
How thick is the shelf the apertures need to rest on?  Might not be as classy but you could just drill and tap and locktite a threaded set screw for the sight to lay on.  I’d think a 4-40 or 6-40 wouldn’t be terrible.  Or rockset.  Would never come out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I was thinking about doing the same exact thing and then hand filing back down where it needed to be as a prototype. It's just a time factor for me at the moment. I would love to see how yours turns out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So adding material in these areas of the sight would eliminate the need for a shim and the sight would sit perpendicular to the plane of the carry handle trough.  @srand1111 noted that the pocket was off by 1.27mm.  
 I won't have time to play with it until next week, but I wouldn't see an issue with adding 1mm+ of material with a weld, then taking it back off to the desired thickness.  I've welded these sights before, so they will take it.

https://i.postimg.cc/L5PyqJ9W/download-6-2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. The base of the aperture would need a little more thickness on the three sides. Best bet would be local mom and pop machine shop. I could draft the aperture on AutoCAD if I had access to the program. I called a few of the big names and nobody is taking on small orders as such.

https://i.postimg.cc/L5PyqJ9W/download-6-2.jpg

Suggestion, if you have a piece of aluminum or copper plate around 1/2. Outline peep sight at edge of plate. Drill and remove material below hole on plate. Now you have a heat sink that will retain the shape of the sight when your building up the weld. Might be able to do something similar for bottom 3 sides. Definitely will save some time filing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How thick is the shelf the apertures need to rest on?  Might not be as classy but you could just drill and tap and locktite a threaded set screw for the sight to lay on.  I’d think a 4-40 or 6-40 wouldn’t be terrible.  Or rockset.  Would never come out.
View Quote

That is another great option. For those not so inclined, I think the aperture is a wonderful solution to address both issues. If any get produced in any volume should definitely come installed on these. The blem and fix should be made known up front for sure.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Suggestion, if you have a piece of aluminum or copper plate around 1/2. Outline peep sight at edge of plate. Drill and remove material below hole on plate. Now you have a heat sink that will retain the shape of the sight when your building up the weld. Might be able to do something similar for bottom 3 sides. Definitely will save some time filing.
View Quote

Good idea!  I was picturing a meteorite looking blob to have to file down, this will tame it for sure!  I won't be able to get to it until Monday or Tues though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Just for reference. The color on these match pretty well with the original lower.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I think I see the blem on your lower.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think I see the blem on your lower.
View Quote

?????? Just a scratch. Nothing a little oil can't buff out.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I received my Shark Arms upper yesterday and have the same sight pocket issue.  Shipping was fast and great communcation.  No problem there.

The anodizing on mine has an almost purple-blue cast and is very slick and smooth.  No matter as the build will be coated in Norrel's

I resolved the sight issue in a bit of an unorthodox way.  First, I shimmed up the leaf spring using a piece of a utility knife blade.  It's nearly the perfect thickness but use extreme caution if you should decide to do that.  I will seat that shim with a high strength adhesive similar to JB weld prior to coating.

To overcome the sight tilt I drilled and bottom tapped a hole front and rear where the sight rests on the upper receiver and added a very small set screw.  I can adjust the height of those set screws so the sight will sit perfectly level in both positions.  Prior to coating in Norrells I'll seat the screws in place with Rocksett and coat right over them.  

It's certainly not a factory look but it is very discrete and fixes the problem pretty easily.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I received my Shark Arms upper yesterday and have the same sight pocket issue.  Shipping was fast and great communcation.  No problem there.

The anodizing on mine has an almost purple-blue cast and is very slick and smooth.  No matter as the build will be coated in Norrel's

I resolved the sight issue in a bit of an unorthodox way.  First, I shimmed up the leaf spring using a piece of a utility knife blade.  It's nearly the perfect thickness but use extreme caution if you should decide to do that.  I will seat that shim with a high strength adhesive similar to JB weld prior to coating.

To overcome the sight tilt I drilled and bottom tapped a hole front and rear where the sight rests on the upper receiver and added a very small set screw.  I can adjust the height of those set screws so the sight will sit perfectly level in both positions.  Prior to coating in Norrells I'll seat the screws in place with Rocksett and coat right over them.  

It's certainly not a factory look but it is very discrete and fixes the problem pretty easily.
View Quote

Glad to hear you worked through the issues. Not rocket science just needs a little time a patience.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Ya already disappointed in these uppers. It’ll do until H&R has them and not focused on rifle making. Don’t have the sight yet cuz apparently it takes like 4 days to go from SC to VB. Ya and that carry handle is gonna snap real quick for how thin it is. It’ll do until I get a replacement that isn’t price raped. Then I’ll blow this one up. Oh and gonna spray and bake with high temp paint. See pics for reference. Flat top was done with the high heat paint. The a1 upper looks fucking airsoft quality.

https://imgur.com/a/x5AmLZg
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  Ya already disappointed in these uppers. It’ll do until H&R has them and not focused on rifle making. Don’t have the sight yet cuz apparently it takes like 4 days to go from SC to VB. Ya and that carry handle is gonna snap real quick for how thin it is. It’ll do until I get a replacement that isn’t price raped. Then I’ll blow this one up. Oh and gonna spray and bake with high temp paint. See pics for reference. Flat top was done with the high heat paint. The a1 upper looks fucking airsoft quality.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2023 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Ya already disappointed in these uppers. It’ll do until H&R has them and not focused on rifle making. Don’t have the sight yet cuz apparently it takes like 4 days to go from SC to VB. Ya and that carry handle is gonna snap real quick for how thin it is. It’ll do until I get a replacement that isn’t price raped. Then I’ll blow this one up. Oh and gonna spray and bake with high temp paint. See pics for reference. Flat top was done with the high heat paint. The a1 upper looks fucking airsoft quality.

https://i.imgur.com/9Reflum.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/tx6IBzI.jpeg

You think I should keep it as is? More I look at it now it doesn’t look bad.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Shark is better than Colt.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
LOL.  I just got back from a coworker’s who bought one of these uppers even though I warned him,  When assembling the rear sight, he had to use .010 shim stock under the leaf spring and the sight still isn’t as tight as it should be.  On top of that, I think the pocket above the spring pocket that’s milled out if spec, also looks to be low.  When I looked at his sights when flipped, they aren’t straight up and down because they rotate too far.  

Last thing I noticed is the forward assist was sticking forward and wouldn’t spring back,  I don’t know if that’s a problem with the receiver being off or the forward assist part he bought.  Based on the out of spec sight pockets from Colt’s manufacturer of 40 years , I’d lean toward it being a receiver issue,

I should have taken pics, I’ll get some if I swing by his place again.
View Quote

So I assembled mine today. My rear sight will be here tomorrow from PSA (H&R one) I’m 100% sure that my rear sight pocket is out of spec as well. Clearly everyone is having this issue. Also reason why I’m responding is because also the forward assist stays stuck forward and is not free moving like a FA should. Upper is straight fucking junk. That is all
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So I assembled mine today. My rear sight will be here tomorrow from PSA (H&R one) I’m 100% sure that my rear sight pocket is out of spec as well. Clearly everyone is having this issue. Also reason why I’m responding is because also the forward assist stays stuck forward and is not free moving like a FA should. Upper is straight fucking junk. That is all
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  LOL.  I just got back from a coworker’s who bought one of these uppers even though I warned him,  When assembling the rear sight, he had to use .010 shim stock under the leaf spring and the sight still isn’t as tight as it should be.  On top of that, I think the pocket above the spring pocket that’s milled out if spec, also looks to be low.  When I looked at his sights when flipped, they aren’t straight up and down because they rotate too far.  

Last thing I noticed is the forward assist was sticking forward and wouldn’t spring back,  I don’t know if that’s a problem with the receiver being off or the forward assist part he bought.  Based on the out of spec sight pockets from Colt’s manufacturer of 40 years , I’d lean toward it being a receiver issue,

I should have taken pics, I’ll get some if I swing by his place again.

I've had problems before w/ a FA when I tried putting the roll pin through the spring...  
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Shark is better than PSA
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I received mine last Friday, and I returned it early Monday Morning.  I sent Chris/Shark Arms an email with tracking.  I advised him that I would initiate a charge back if he failed to refund my money.  He responded Tuesday, stating that he didn’t like my “tone”.   He went on to say that his website disclosed the small problems with the uppers,   He said he would be home on Friday, and would refund my money at “10:01 AM”.   He said he sells 20 of these every day, and he “doesn’t want my money”.   USPS indicates that Shark Arms signed for the returned upper on Thursday.  My bank advised that the refund process would take a few days, but he (Chris) did not initiate a refund on Friday.   I initiated a charge back.  

These uppers are misrepresented as Colt Contract Uppers, and the incorrect dimensions regarding the rear sight was not disclosed.    This is theft by fraud.     As for the shills on here promoting this fraud:   glueing on pieces of metal, and drilling and taping for set screws that elevate the rear sight?     These uppers should be destroyed, and Chris should be criminally charged.
View Quote

Lol.  This is a civil matter, not a crime.  Do you call the cops when your new Toyota fails to start one morning?
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top