Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2024 11:39:40 AM EDT
I have two different ARs, from two different manufacturers, and to get the flip up iron sights in both of them zeroed, I had to crank the rear sights all the way to the right to get to anything close to a zero.

I’m guessing the problem is me, and not two different ARs.

I think I’m holding a good sight picture: front sight post centered in the aperture, superimposed on the target at the 6 o’clock position, focus on the front sight with left eye (dominant) open and right side closed (I’m a lefty).

Any advice? Why would I shoot so far left and have to compensate so far to the right?

Thanks, Andy in VA
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you wear RX glasses ?

could be parallax from looking through your glasses at an angle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
My first thought, since you’re left handed, is that you are either pulling the trigger left or otherwise your trigger hand is too tight and pulling left.

What is your setup and position when zeroing? Are you in a prone supported position? Rifle on a rest with a sandbag rear?

Have you tried not gripping the pistol grip and instead hold your hand like it’s a standard bolt action with less grip pressure, fingers barely gripping the grip?

If cheek pressure, I’d expect it to pull right since you’re left handed.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Colt653:

Do you wear RX glasses ?

could be parallax from looking through your glasses at an angle.
View Quote

No glasses. Laser eye surgery a while back.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By rollpin:
My first thought, since you’re left handed, is that you are either pulling the trigger left or otherwise your trigger hand is too tight and pulling left.

What is your setup and position when zeroing? Are you in a prone supported position? Rifle on a rest with a sandbag rear?

Have you tried not gripping the pistol grip and instead hold your hand like it’s a standard bolt action with less grip pressure, fingers barely gripping the grip?

If cheek pressure, I’d expect it to pull right since you’re left handed.

View Quote

I was shooting seated at a bench with the rifle on a bipod shooting at a 25 yd target. I’ll try the lighter grip next time out. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#5]
What brand of backup irons are on them?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds to me that you have improper head position/cheek weld. If the sights are both "bottomed out" in the same position, i.e. far right, you need to move your head/cheek/ eyes to the left--somehow. Your cheek needs to be tight up against the butt stock. Maybe try tilting your head a little bit to the left. You might have the butt plate too high in your shoulder "socket".
Here's a way to check your position:
1) unload the rifle and remove the magazine
2) double check that the rifle AND chamber are empty
3) mechanically center the rear sight
4) check again that the rifle has no ammo in it
5) stand in front of a mirror (bathroom, hallway, etc), shoulder the rifle, and then aim at yourself in the mirror. You should be able to see where your aiming error is (head position, cheek weld, etc., etc.). Check that you don't have the rifle "canted" (not straight up and down) in any way.
Hope this helps you out some.
Keep us posted. Good luck.

Jon
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#7]
A canted sight base or rail would cause it too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DM1975:
What brand of backup irons are on them?
View Quote

Troy Industries, with the Tritium.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Musketjon:
Sounds to me that you have improper head position/cheek weld. If the sights are both "bottomed out" in the same position, i.e. far right, you need to move your head/cheek/ eyes to the left--somehow. Your cheek needs to be tight up against the butt stock. Maybe try tilting your head a little bit to the left. You might have the butt plate too high in your shoulder "socket".
Here's a way to check your position:
1) unload the rifle and remove the magazine
2) double check that the rifle AND chamber are empty
3) mechanically center the rear sight
4) check again that the rifle has no ammo in it
5) stand in front of a mirror (bathroom, hallway, etc), shoulder the rifle, and then aim at yourself in the mirror. You should be able to see where your aiming error is (head position, cheek weld, etc., etc.). Check that you don't have the rifle "canted" (not straight up and down) in any way.
Hope this helps you out some.
Keep us posted. Good luck.

Jon
View Quote

Thank you! Great advice. I’m betting this is part of it. And as always, safety is always first and never last.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top