Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2024 9:59:17 AM EDT
I would like to have a spare bcg for my 5.56 and have questions.

1.  Is it as simple as replacing the part and not worry about tolerance?

2. Any recommendations?

Don't need anything special, my AR is a plinker and I don't need a 1" group at 500 yards.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#1]
A new installed AR bolt should be checked for head-space, but 97% of AR owners don't, and live to tell the story.

Buy a Mil-Spec HPT/MPI BCG and it will be good.  Toolcraft or Microbest.

Toolcraft is a provider of BCG to AR-15 Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) and the U.S. Military.

Microbest makes HPT/MPI BCG's for BCM, SOLGW, and Colt.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Why a whole carrier and not just the bolt?
I only have spare bolts (and associated parts) because if something causes the carrier to fail, the upper will most likely need replacing too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I only have spare bolts (and associated parts) because if something causes the carrier to fail, the upper will most likely need replacing too.
View Quote

Key could get loose I suppose. A Toolcraft complete BCG is only a few bucks more than just a replacement bolt.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as the rifle doesn't have 5-10k rounds through it, I think you're fine just swapping it without checking go-nogo gauges.  If you're worried about it the gauges aren't very expensive.

Mitchell Defense, BCM ( Microbest ), Toolcraft, and Expo Arms are all decent BCG's.  In no particular order.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same thought crossed my mind.  Then I thought, if in the heat of battle you have a bolt failure or FP break you can swap the entire assy quicker than swapping out parts.  Other than that, I agree and not sure if OP plans to actually carry the spare BCG in his ruck or not.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Rooftop has complete Microbest BCGs available, code pewpew brings it down to just a hair over $100. Plus, you get some ramen noodles. Win win.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Same thought crossed my mind.  Then I thought, if in the heat of battle you have a bolt failure or FP break you can swap the entire assy quicker than swapping out parts.  Other than that, I agree and not sure if OP plans to actually carry the spare BCG in his ruck or not.
View Quote

Doubt i will ever be in battle, but with my grab and go bag, there is a complete BCG in there for a quick change out if needed.  There is a spare bolt and firing pin in the grip.

I have like an additional 5-6 complete BCGs and like number of spare bolts as well.  I figure it's the most likely part that would go down on a rifle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Just know it will turn into a spare rifle soon enough.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just know it will turn into a spare rifle soon enough.
View Quote

One of mine did last year.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Complete backup bcg cheap insurance to have on hand.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]
It is a disease.  You buy a back up BCG and it turns into a rifle.  Then you buy another to replace the last one and it turns into a rifle.  It never ends and a sane person would look at the extra rifle and think: A backup.....but no that does not happen.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is a disease.  You buy a back up BCG and it turns into a rifle.  Then you buy another to replace the last one and it turns into a rifle.  It never ends and a sane person would look at the extra rifle and think: A backup.....but no that does not happen.
View Quote

Damn if that aint true
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

TRUTH.

Happened to me once. Or twice. Or three times. Or....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top