Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2024 3:56:19 PM EDT
So with my new HUB compatible suppressor due out of jail any day now, I'm trying to replace the Surefire Muzzle Device on my DDM4 with a KeyMo MD, but I just CANNOT get the current MD to break loose. I installed this MD myself, with NO Loctite, and I did NOT overtighten it I'm sure .... because I never do .... because I know very little in my personal AR world is ever permanent ...

But it just will NOT break.

I have the complete upper slipped over a reaction rod fixed in the vise, horizontally. With the wrench perpendicular to the barrel, I gave it some taps with the rubber mallet. Gave it some HARDER taps. Gave it some REAL WHALLOPS. Nothing. It's to the point I am seriously concerned about damaging the barrel even with the reaction rod - as the force being applied is significantly more ANGULAR than it is ROTATIONAL.

Sort of at a loss as to what to try next. I dropped some penetrating oil in there, for what little good that will do, there is no corrosion or anything, all of these components are relatively new and perfectly clean.

I sure would appreciate any advice!
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 4:16:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IcmThrawn] [#1]
Heat gun or torch it.

Edit to add: I've done this on multiple MDs and the mag tube on my Benelli M4.  Some had red loctite or rocksett.  Are you sure you didn't put rocksett on it?  All my surefires came with it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 4:24:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raverill] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IcmThrawn:
Heat gun or torch it.
View Quote

If heat gun doesn’t work, put entire upper in freezer for 5 hours and try again
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]
If only there was a simple way to increase leverage...

You need a breaker bar or longer wrench.  Gradually increase torque until it breaks free.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Heat the shit out of it first.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
A propane torch should do it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Reaction rod can loosen the barrel extension and shear the index pin if too much force required when removing a muzzle device
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:

You need a breaker bar or longer wrench.  Gradually increase torque until it breaks free.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:

If only there were not lots of different ways to approach this sort of issue ....

If only a less experienced person could get the opinions of more experienced people on choosing among these many options, here on a forum designed largely for just that purpose, without getting the sarcasm and disrespect we end up seeing so often .... (present company excluded, of course)

If only ....

Originally Posted By LJUnaTIC:
Reaction rod can loosen the barrel extension and shear the index pin if too much force required when removing a muzzle device

This is exactly what I was concerned about. Anything more than a good tap on the wrench and nothing good could result. I had no extension or other means with which to increase the leverage ... so I had to fabricate something out of an old length of cast iron pipe. The MD took a LOT of heat from the plumbing torch before it finally moved, but finally it did.

Thanks much for the advice all. I'm by no means a pro at any of this stuff but I like to learn and I like to do as much of that learning WITHOUT breaking things as possible.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Clamp the barrel and put some ass behind the wrench. It'll come off.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
View Quote

Yep. Clamp the barrel. Heat muzzle device. It’ll back right off, I bet.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#10]
If it looks like this when your done it was pinned
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#11]
If you:

a) installed it yourself, and
b) are sure you didn’t use Loctite or Rocksett, and
c) didn’t way overtorque it….

then it’s likely just carbon locked on there.  A little penetrating oil or carbon cleaner type gun lube should be enough to loosen the seal and allow it to break free pretty easily.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#12]
You shoudn't use a barrel extension vise on something like this, as the only thing keeping the barrel extension from spinning off is the index pin.

Use a proper barrel clamp like this Wheeler.You can even use rosin on the jaws for extra grip. Solid bench and vise. Soak it in Kroil and heat it. Use a 24" breaker bar.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:57:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#14]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
View Quote

What type of jaw pads do I need to do that?  That has to be the best way to remove a stubborn MB, mebbe even a pinned one lol.

ETA n/m I see one posted.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 11:36:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#15]
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Never use a reaction rod to remove a muzzle device. Never ever.

Just clamp on the barrel tightly using the appropriate clamps, heat the muzzle device using a torch or a heat gun, and then put some weight on your breaker bar and it will come loose.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

What type of jaw pads do I need to do that?  That has to be the best way to remove a stubborn MB, mebbe even a pinned one lol.

View Quote

The Rench is top notch.

Plastixrevolution makes a budget set that works adequately as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

View Quote

The two posts above this one have links to jaws you can use.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 3:47:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#19]
Originally Posted By sully:
First off I would highly recommend you soak it in Kroil and let it sit for a day to let the Kroil do it's magic.  Then either brace the barrel in a vise and barrel blocks, or take a look at the Rench tool from Michiguns.

Rench tool from Michiguns

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
DefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote

Sully do you have any direct experience using the M Guns RENCH? The reason I ask I bought one about a year ago, clamped it in a 6" vice as tight as possible and anything above 25-30# feet of torque the barrel would rotate. The RENCH is not very wide so it gets little actual purchase on the barrel. What was I doing wrong or any other insights you can help with my using it? TIA!

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I had the dremel mine off. Heat, soaking in oil, several strap and block methods did not work

Go slow, and don’t cut into the threads.

I started at the tip on each side, cut all the way through until it got to the threading, then just took it easy.

Put a chisel in the cut and it popped right off.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

Sully do you have any direct experience using the M Guns RENCH? The reason I ask I bought one about a year ago, clamped it in a 6" vice as tight as possible and anything above 25-30# feet of torque the barrel would rotate. The RENCH is not very wide so it gets little actual purchase on the barrel. What was I doing wrong or any other insights you can help with my using it? TIA!

View Quote

Use some pine rosin.  I don’t use their overpriced product (my pockets aren’t  that deep for a tool when a much cheaper alternative exists) but my aluminum barrel vice jaws want to slip sometimes also.  I wrap a few turns of newspaper around the barrel and dust the paper, inside and out, with pine rosin.  That never fails without any damage to anything.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top