Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/13/2024 12:23:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ochisuniverse]
Hello Guys !

I am Florian (43) from Austria and had since 2 Years a "Comeback" in the Shooting Scene.
I had an Glock , Aug and some other Guns . As allways i try to search in the Internet or look some YT Vids when i have Questions about installing Things .
My English it not the best but i hope you understand me .

So i had an Surefire Warcomp on my AR and want to change it to a 3 Prong ! I installed the Warcomp 2 Month ago and i had no Problems ! But now when i want  shim the 3 Prong - its impossible ?! Yes i know the Stuff with Washer the right Way to the Shoulder and the Timing wheel and so on . But When i use 3 Zero Color - The Indexnose is 6:10 with a torgue of 20 lbs . When i use 4 Zero Color Shim it is 5:30 with 20 lbs . When i go up to 30 lbs its 5:55 !
So what should i do ? Should I go with 3 Shims and a torgue of ~15 lbs or so or should i go with 4 Shims and crank it up to ~ 35 lbs ?
It seems i need one half thick of the no color ??. So 3 No Color are .003 .  
4 no Color are .004.
I need .0035 ?!?! .
What should i do ?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Surefire-sf3p-install-/118-739581/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

Does this help? I have the same experience with people in the link I posted. I've always just tried different combinations until it worked.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:34:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#2]
The reccomendation may be twenty but it seems you are within a few degrees. I actually torque my suppressor mounts to 35-40 to keep them from spinning off with the can.

I'd initially try torqueing it a little more. Up to 35, that won't be enough to damage anything. See if it aligns. If not I would just order some more shims.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah i tryed the whole shim kit . I stacked the Green all reds and 3 No Collor and this seems to bring me a little bit closer to the perfect alligment put i dont know ? Is that ok to put the whole shim kit on the barrel ?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:40:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ochisuniverse] [#4]
Ok thanks ! Yes i odered an extra Shimkit - its on the way πŸ‘πŸ»
When its here i will try the way with the Surefire Timing Wheel , and when this is not ok i will try some Combination and when nothing works i use the Combo who brings me to the nearest best position and then i go up to 35lbs .
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you using Rocksett?

I find that it changes the torque value a little and would probably get your low side to register 20 by itself.

If you are using rocksett, I'd feel fine leaving it slightly low.  If not I'd probably err on the high side.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:23:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ochisuniverse] [#6]
Hello again !

I want to give you an update from my Situation . Maybe for somebody it is helpful !

I got the Extra Shimkit and it was the same Problem ! I know its not that a problem when the timing is slighty off . Spezially on a 3 or 4 Prong but in my personal Case - iam a little perfectionist....

So i beginn to messure the Thick Washer with an Micrometer and find out this Thing is not parallel !
Iam sorry Guys but we have the Metric System so i tell you the Measurments in Metric . The Thick Washer what faces the Barrelshoulder had difference of 0.0 up to 0.01-0.015mm .
I dont know if this is normal but in my mind anyways this should be parallel . When its not you slightly tilt the Muzzledevice . It is not flush .
I am a Metalworker and i have an Parallel Grinding Machine ! I Grind the Washer parallel ! Then i try it again . After some trys and grinding i got it perfect ! The Washer all in all is now absolute parallel and 0.005mm thinner as it was before.
The Thick Washer with one red shim , with rocksett i got it on point at 6 oclock with 27lbs πŸ™πŸ»πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

I know maybe iam overthinking it but like i sayed - I need it perfect and now i can sleep well 🀣.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad you got it worked out.

I measure mine too, and I've had a bunch of Surefire shim kits, and I've never seen one yet that showed more than ".0005 inch" difference across it using my relatively cheap Frankford Arsenal calipers.
So if you had one showing more than that, I'd say it's abnormal.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ochisuniverse:
Hello again !

I want to give you an update from my Situation . Maybe for somebody it is helpful !

I got the Extra Shimkit and it was the same Problem ! I know its not that a problem when the timing is slighty off . Spezially on a 3 or 4 Prong but in my personal Case - iam a little perfectionist....

So i beginn to messure the Thick Washer with an Micrometer and find out this Thing is not parallel !
Iam sorry Guys but we have the Metric System so i tell you the Measurments in Metric . The Thick Washer what faces the Barrelshoulder had difference of 0.0 up to 0.01-0.015mm .
I dont know if this is normal but in my mind anyways this should be parallel . When its not you slightly tilt the Muzzledevice . It is not flush .
I am a Metalworker and i have an Parallel Grinding Machine ! I Grind the Washer parallel ! Then i try it again . After some trys and grinding i got it perfect ! The Washer all in all is now absolute parallel and 0.005mm thinner as it was before.
The Thick Washer with one red shim , with rocksett i got it on point at 6 oclock with 27lbs πŸ™πŸ»πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

I know maybe iam overthinking it but like i sayed - I need it perfect and now i can sleep well 🀣.
View Quote

Hope you hang around nice to see some of Euro brothers around.  Welcome to the site!
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I usually torque the muzzle device with just the spacer at around 28-30ft.lbs a few times first.  After doing that, the timing wheel seems to match much closer when I start adding the shims.  Adding rocksett does increase the torque value, especially if it’s started to dry out a little, which seems to be very common with the little packets Surefire includes with the muzzle devices.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top