Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/3/2024 7:12:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tstetz]
So I had a set of Brownells green A1 furniture painted with Tamiya Spray Lacquer Ts-5 Olive Drab set aside for a 601 build thinking that was pretty close. Then I saw the thread about the Moeller Green Zinc Phosphate and fgot some of that and did a set of brown Brownells retro furniture. Big difference in color!

I don't think the OD looks bad, but it is definitely not even close to the Moeller Green Zinc Phosphate. See comparison pics.

On the Moeller set I did an original bakelite grip and a new Brownells grip. The Brownells grip was OD though. I didn't think I had a brown one when I started painting. Debating on painting the brown one now too.

So I guess I got a nice extra set of OD stocks to use on something just because!

First pic is Brownells OD vs Brownells OD painted with the Tamiya

Attachment Attached File

Next one if Tamiya vs Moeller

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
That Moeller Green Zinc Phosphate just screams 1960s. My grandparents bought like a 1967 Larson boat. They only had like 100 hours use on it. Kept the motor wrapped up, plastic on the seats still, etc. They gave it to me in like 2015. I pulled it out of the water and cleaned it up to like new new. The boat, motor cover, seats, dash, and all the trimmings are the exact same color as Moeller Green Zinc Phosphate. I also remember seeing other 50s and 60s items in some their out buildings when I was a kid rambling. Same green color. Tamiya is real close but Moeller is 1950s - 1960s.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I was happy with the Tamiya until I saw them side by side. Big difference!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By tstetz:
Yeah, I was happy with the Tamiya until I saw them side by side. Big difference!
View Quote

On the Moeller, did you do just the paint or with the clear coat?
thx
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tiger222:

On the Moeller, did you do just the paint or with the clear coat?
thx
View Quote

I did two coats of paint, then two coats of Moeller Clear Coat

On the buttstock I probably did 6 coats of paint, lol.

The nozzle that comes with the paint sprays in a wide arc and it sucked for doing the stock. I ended up with a lot of drip and sanded it and redid it after I swapped nozzles with spares I had for use with my Aluma Hyde II. Then, because I thought I was being smart removing the sling swivel, I ended up chipping the finished stocks trying to tap (read malletize) the sling swivel roll pin back in place. It was a bitch to put back in for whjatever reason! I tereid touching p that area with a couple coats but it was uneven, so I sanded the back half of the stock and did two more coats and then re clear coated everything.

The bakelite grip didn't want to take the paint good either and that got multiple layers and some sanding in between.

The handguards went smoothly, two coats or paint and two coats of clear coat, and the Brownells grip was the same.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:24:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tiger222] [#5]
Originally Posted By tstetz:

I did two coats of paint, then two coats of Moeller Clear Coat

On the buttstock I probably did 6 coats of paint, lol.

The nozzle that comes with the paint sprays in a wide arc and it sucked for doing the stock. I ended up with a lot of drip and sanded it and redid it after I swapped nozzles with spares I had for use with my Aluma Hyde II. Then, because I thought I was being smart removing the sling swivel, I ended up chipping the finished stocks trying to tap (read malletize) the sling swivel roll pin back in place. It was a bitch to put back in for whjatever reason! I tereid touching p that area with a couple coats but it was uneven, so I sanded the back half of the stock and did two more coats and then re clear coated everything.

The bakelite grip didn't want to take the paint good either and that got multiple layers and some sanding in between.

The handguards went smoothly, two coats or paint and two coats of clear coat, and the Brownells grip was the same.

View Quote

thanks for the detailed info, nice job!! I may follow in your footsteps on my 605 :)

and oh, where did you order the stuff from?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Amazon

Zinc Green Phosphate

Clear Coat

I'm sure you could use any clear coat but I figured the maritime stuff would be durable. Guess it depends if you want the wear to come through sooner or not.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I;m debating what to do with my Tamiya stock set now. I think it looks decent, but I'm not sure what to use it on. Debating whether to get some more Zinc Phosphate (I used my can up with all my dumb trial and error) and doing a spare set of 601 style stocks just because, just using it on some other random build for fun, or selling it as a set to someone less OCD than me who wants cool green stocks, lol.

My OCD is weird. I know my stuff is generally not 100%, but I try and at least get it to look right from 10 feet,. Maybe 5 if I'm lucky!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate your post here - thank you.  I bought the same Moeller paint you did (025802), and despite me following the directions on it regarding shaking it and spray/distance, I am getting these yellow specks in the paint.  Did you see anything like that?  Wonder if I got a bad can of paint or something...
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jtb33:
I appreciate your post here - thank you.  I bought the same Moeller paint you did (025802), and despite me following the directions on it regarding shaking it and spray/distance, I am getting these yellow specks in the paint.  Did you see anything like that?  Wonder if I got a bad can of paint or something...
View Quote

My first coat came out like crap. The nozzle that comes with the can seems designed to spray in an arc and trying to get enough paint on the stocks I got all sorts of runs and globs. Don't recall yellow for sure, but it wasn't working well.

If you haven't tried a different nozzle, I'd try that and see if it evens things out.

If it's going on okay, and is just the yellow then keep shaking!

I used a drill mounted spray can mixer, then hand shake and that seemed to work with this and works with Aluma Hyde II, which is a bitch to mix.

With that said, It's possible you got a bad can. I have gotten dud spray paint before.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Since this popped back up I'll add to it.

Top is the Moeller after rubbing it down with bronze wool to knock some of the gloss back. Bellow is the Tamiya again.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top