Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2021 10:23:42 PM EDT
This may sound strange-it did to me-but I just got off the phone with a lower manufacturer, E3 Arms, and I described the issue I have with my carrier group rubbing hard on the hammer and he told me to loosen the castle nut, pull the carrier group into the buffer tube, engage the magazine catch, tighten the castle nut to 6-8in-lbs of torque, and release the magazine catch, and this should fix my problem. He called it "timing the carrier group." Has anyone else heard of this procedure?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Huh? 6-8 inch pounds? What does the buffer tube have to do with the BCG once it's inside the receiver? I'm confused
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Very strange...I keep seeing your posts messing with that plastic lower.  I happen to have one and it's never given me trouble but I'd toss that lower and get something else based on your issues if they're not willing to swap it out.  Weren't you having issues with the trigger too?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Now this is a really strange post.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The bolt carrier group travels into the buffer tube. I figured out that the hammer was not to spec, however, as it was too tall. I shaved a bit off with a file and the BCG glides smoothly across it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, the hammer on the trigger is seemingly too tall. It hits the bolt carrier group extremely rough, lifting the entire assembly as it enters into the buffer tube. I called and emailed all available contacts and no response, but called this evening and Jeff answered (I believe he was on something because he went on and on about rabbit trails) and told me he stood by the build and that the problem was that the buffer tube was not seated properly and the trigger assembly was to spec. So he didn't even believe me when I explained that something was no okay with it. He offered to send me a new carbon fiber buffer tube for free but I said I wanted a new lower, or for them to fix this one. But he wouldn't budge. I do not recommend this company...
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Now, imagine the actual phone conversation that led me to have to post this...
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]
No such thing I've ever heard of
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I have never heard of this procedure. Then again I’ve never worked with composite receivers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:02:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now, imagine the actual phone conversation that led me to have to post this...
View Quote

I kind of really want to hear it now.

But no, that's a new one to me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Not seeing how you would get any different results using all three of the same components.  Honestly have seen a castle nut off an imported stock that the threads were not perpendicular to the face of the nut. It would pull the tube off slightly in one direction or the other dependent on where the nut stopped when it was tightened.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd dump that lower.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I had to read it twice, I don't think any of us can even make up something as absurd.  How does any of that solve anything?  Castle nut torque value is 38 to 42 ft/lb, but it's irrelevant, except in a broader context, i.e. if he got that value wrong, I'd be skeptical of other things he may say.  I'd be somewhat puzzled by the symptoms, I think elimination of variables would be a good start, which none of the actions he mentioned would do.  The lower is the first and most obvious piece, start with that, which you have logically concluded as well.  I'd return the lower and get one from SOLGW, SIONICS, BCM, Colt, Noveske, etc.

Timing of the carrier is a thing, to be sure, I've only dealt with it when troubleshooting cycling issues in automatic settings where the buffer is too heavy and timing was messed up for the auto sear and release of hammer.

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know crap about timing a carrier to a buffer. But I offer this.

If the manufacturer won't stand behind their product, it might be time to ask yourself if you want to continue down this road. Perhaps it's time to get a good lower and chalk this lower up to a learning experience. I know I have sometimes had to pay for the learning experience with firearms. Ultimately moving on made life a little bit better.

Your call! And best of luck.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This may sound strange-it did to me-but I just got off the phone with a lower manufacturer, E3 Arms, and I described the issue I have with my carrier group rubbing hard on the hammer and he told me to loosen the castle nut, pull the carrier group into the buffer tube, engage the magazine catch, tighten the castle nut to 6-8in-lbs of torque, and release the magazine catch, and this should fix my problem. He called it "timing the carrier group." Has anyone else heard of this procedure?
View Quote

I don't think you know what a magazine catch is
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I am going to speculate he meant the bolt catch, but even though this is bizarre, I have read this entire post and commnets four times now....and still confused.

Like said, I would not trust anything that E3 rep says....

Are these the Plum Crazy firearms company?
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think you know what a magazine catch is
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I think some high voltage blinker fluid will fix it.

Or, in actuality, ditch that lower.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:55:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, and Start
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top