Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2024 7:33:28 PM EDT
I know it is probably something pretty simple that I am doing wrong. In order for the rail to slide onto the barrel nut and be aligned correctly, one of the barrel nut fins/spikes has to be in the 12 o’clock position. But in this position the gas tube can not slide into the upper receiver.  Because the fin/spike is in the way. What am I overlooking?

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:06:15 AM EDT
[#1]
That seems odd. Looks like your only option is to torque the nut down to see which nub is in the way and remove it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#2]
You need to torque it until the cutout lines up to allow the gas tube to fit. Torque should be at least 30 up to 80 ft lbs. if you can’t line it up in that range there are shims you can buy to help align properly. Same concept at the standard barrel nut used with plastic hand guards.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Time the barrel nut to allow gas tube passage. IIRC the rail goes on offset, then twists back into position once fully seated. Look inside the rail and see if there is a cutout running around the circumference.

After twisting the rail into position, tighten the bolts on the bottom.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By turp_dog:
Time the barrel nut to allow gas tube passage. IIRC the rail goes on offset, then twists back into position once fully seated. Look inside the rail and see if there is a cutout running around the circumference.

After twisting the rail into position, tighten the bolts on the bottom.
View Quote
That makes sense. Maybe he does not have the nut far enough in to get to that part. I can't remember those handguards.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top