Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2024 10:05:29 AM EDT
Most websites are all out of stock on the 30 round USGI Colt, OK, ECT., MAGS. Anyone know of a place with them in stock? Looking to pick up a few.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Rock Rivers Arms - Okay Mags

This is the last place I picked some up.  They had them on sale at the time, I think it was a 10-pack for $12 or $14/per.

Living through the "ban" it has been pretty wild following the AR mag market.  I never thought I'd see a day when aluminum "GI style" mags would go the way of the dodo.

Having said that, I've had really good luck with Lancer AWM mags as well.  

I've got a small variety of many types, and have trashed the un-sat ones.

My order of preference:

1. Aluminum GI
2. Lancer AWM
3. Magpul Gen 3
4. Magpul MOE
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like they have the OK mags for sale still. Do you know if those have the new followers in them or are they the older green ones? What year is stamped on the ones you ordered?
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:32:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm am so surprised that people are paying $15-20 for these dented used to every bit magazines. Especially when new ones are still available for the same price.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 6:00:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bolt241:
Looks like they have the OK mags for sale still. Do you know if those have the new followers in them or are they the older green ones? What year is stamped on the ones you ordered?
View Quote

The 30 round Okay/NHMTG mags RRA was shipping 4 months ago had anti-tilt followers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I reach out to them and they said the mags which the currently sell have the green followers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 55Kingpin:
Rock Rivers Arms - Okay Mags

This is the last place I picked some up.  They had them on sale at the time, I think it was a 10-pack for $12 or $14/per.

Living through the "ban" it has been pretty wild following the AR mag market.  I never thought I'd see a day when aluminum "GI style" mags would go the way of the dodo.

Having said that, I've had really good luck with Lancer AWM mags as well.  

I've got a small variety of many types, and have trashed the un-sat ones.

My order of preference:

1. Aluminum GI
2. Lancer AWM
3. Magpul Gen 3
4. Magpul MOE
View Quote

Yup. Hard to believe that the best manufacturer of GI mags is hanging it up.
I bought about 40 of these mags from RRA when they were on sale. Been my favorite mags for years.
Here's my order order of preference:
Aluminum GI.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are OK with FDE, Cornerstone Arms has Okay/Surefeed GI mags in stock at a great price:

https://store.cornerstonearms.com/products/magazines-steiner-ok483-tan-p-853289006221-2530

Picked some up recently and can confirm they have the green Magpul follower

Otherwise PSA has D&H made aluminum mags that are marked with the same cage code as some of those used GI mags linked above:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/d-h-ar-15-223-5-56-magazine-30rd-alm-black-teflon-laser-mag-30-al-lz-bt-mp-psa.html
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#9]
That a great price on the OK mags. Just don't like the color.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:42:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#10]
Originally Posted By Sneezed_and_Sharted:
If you are OK with FDE, Cornerstone Arms has Okay/Surefeed GI mags in stock at a great price:

https://store.cornerstonearms.com/products/magazines-steiner-ok483-tan-p-853289006221-2530

Picked some up recently and can confirm they have the green Magpul follower

View Quote

They list them as Steiner. Did Steiner buy Surefeed’s tooling?

Also they only allow you to buy one magazine. WTAF.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#11]
That a great price on the OK mags. Just don't like the color.
View Quote

I was gonna buy 10 but it only allows 1 in your cart.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

View Quote

They must only have 1 left or put a limit on them.

I was able to order 10 the other day. They also had the E2 mags with the dimples and blue followers in stock as well for the same price and was able to get a few of those as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#13]

I was able to order 10 the other day. They also had the E2 mags with the dimples and blue followers in stock as well for the same price and was able to get a few of those as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

Dang, I hope this isn't the last of them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Still in search if anyone know of some websites with current in stock mags.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I did get a few of those black mags from PSA. They have the gray followers, but seem very thin when compared with the OK ones. Does Center Industries still make the gray mags?
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I'll probably order a dozen of these. I would check these out, OP.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I did get a few of those black mags from PSA. They have the gray followers, but seem very thin when compared with the OK ones. Does Center Industries still make the gray mags?
View Quote

Very thin? Dang, I guess I'll hold off on them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#20]
In my opinion they seem to be made cheaper when compared to my OK mags.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:04:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JKinAZ] [#21]
I just compared a recently purchased PSA mag against an Okay and a Brownells. Can't see any difference in the thickness visually, I would get the calipers out and measure but they're loaded and I don't feel like emptying them. The one spot I can measure at the feed lips shows no significant difference, all measuring .038-.040.

I've been running the PSA mags a bit, they are good to go in my opinion. They are confirmed to be rebranded D&H mags, which just won a USGI contract. I just bought a few more along with some of the 77gr OTM, which is on sale again.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 8:08:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnowCharger] [#22]
Originally Posted By JKinAZ:
I just compared a recently purchased PSA mag against an Okay and a Brownells. Can't see any difference in the thickness visually, I would get the calipers out and measure but they're loaded and I don't feel like emptying them. The one spot I can measure at the feed lips shows no significant difference, all measuring .038-.040.

I've been running the PSA mags a bit, they are good to go in my opinion. They are confirmed to be rebranded D&H mags, which just won a USGI contract. I just bought a few more along with some of the 77gr OTM, which is on sale again.
View Quote

Interesting; thank you for that info. Perhaps D&H changed their design; While your excellent idea of taking calipers to them is definitely the correct way to evaluate them, my 2013 D&H just feel more flimsy in the hand than Okays and Brownells. Thank you for enlightening us!

Perhaps since D&H got a military contract they are now using thicker aluminum?  I think someone once said the dies used to stamp the mags are government owned. Perhaps those dies require thicker aluminum. I'm just speculating though trying to match your data to other's observations.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#23]
D&H are good to go. they've used the same design for over 30 years at LEAST. I have some of the old, some of the new, and they're identical. IMO they're second best behind OKAY, and that's simply because OKAY Industries had the mil contract and a crap ton of history behind their name.

They weigh nearly IDENTICALLY to my gray powder coated OKAY ones. HOWEVER, the black teflon and FDE ones from OKAY actually weigh a teensy bit more because the paint makes them feel "thicker" in the hand due to slighlty increased mass. That's it. buy with confidence. D&H are rebranded by PSA, DSG Arms, BCM and a ton more places. you'll always be able to identify them with the cage code of Q4TQ4 on them
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#24]
In my opinion they seem to be made cheaper when compared to my OK mags.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I might order 5-6 for the range and keep retro and new OK mags in wrapper.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#26]
The comments about D&H mags bodies being thinner in this thread and another one made me curious, and since my new PSA mags arrived today I decided to do some highly scientific research with my postal scale. I took the floor plates, springs and followers out of one of the new PSA mags, a Brownells, and an Okay, and weighed just the mag bodies.

For reference, the PSA and Okay mags are black anodized, the Brownells is grey. The PSA is brand new, the Brownells and Okay are both at least 2-3 years old. PSA and Brownells are laser welded, the Okay has the spot welded seams. I weighed them all twice, with no variance in the readings.

PSA:  2.8 oz
Brownells:  2.8 oz
Okay:  2.6 oz

Link Posted: 8/30/2024 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#27]
That is interesting. The highly regarded Okay magazine weights .2 ounces LESS than the PSA and Brownells.

Were you able to check if there is a weight difference between 2 or 3 mag bodies from the same manufacturer?
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By OmniOrdnance:
That is interesting. The highly regarded Okay magazine weights .2 ounces LESS than the PSA and Brownells.

Were you able to check if there is a weight difference between 2 or 3 mag bodies from the same manufacturer?
View Quote

I only had 1 Okay and 1 Brownells to weigh, the others I have of those brands are all loaded. So sample of 1 each.

Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:21:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhud] [#29]
I got some in the EE ..

From my experience at a Mississippi gunshow the only thing that matters about ar15 mags is the name
Stamped on them.  It it’s not COLT in big bold letters  
LOL.  

I’ve been using brownells in my shooting even magdumpsntheh work
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

D&H is not OKAY/NHMTG/Colt quality.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By lowcountrydirtrider:

D&H is not OKAY/NHMTG/Colt quality.
View Quote

I have a few D&H mags that I have been using since ‘05 with the green follower.  Never had a malfunction.  I do have a couple of Colt mags from the same time frame, reliable as well.  I prefer the gray finish on the Colt mags compared to the black D&H.  The quality is the same to me on both brands.  I picked up some okay mags a few years ago and they have been reliable also.  
 A local store has just started selling D&H 30, 20, and 10 round mags.  I’m going to pick up a few of the 30 and 20s to compare to my old mags, other than the Magpul followers they look the same.  D&H are a solid buy from my experience.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#32]
D&H mags are good to go. With the demise of Okay, they have become my go to mags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#33]
The comments about D&H mags bodies being thinner in this thread and another one made me curious, and since my new PSA mags arrived today I decided to do some highly scientific research with my postal scale. I took the floor plates, springs and followers out of one of the new PSA mags, a Brownells, and an Okay, and weighed just the mag bodies.

For reference, the PSA and Okay mags are black anodized, the Brownells is grey. The PSA is brand new, the Brownells and Okay are both at least 2-3 years old. PSA and Brownells are laser welded, the Okay has the spot welded seams. I weighed them all twice, with no variance in the readings.

PSA:  2.8 oz
Brownells:  2.8 oz
Okay:  2.6 oz

View Quote

I forgot about this thread but will update that I ordered 10 of the D&H mags and they seem to be pretty good. Like another posted said, I prefer the grey of the OK mags but theses D&H look and feel pretty similar. I might buy 10 more just to give out as gifts.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I've got 350 USGI mags. 225 of them are Colts with the remainder being a mix of US contract mags. My second favorite behind Colt is Center Industries....just something bout them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#36]
PSA and Brownells are laser welded, the Okay has the spot welded seams.

View Quote

Any difference in the strength of the weld itself of a spot welded mag compared to a laser welded one?
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By arfn:

Any difference in the strength of the weld itself of a spot welded mag compared to a laser welded one?
View Quote

I own and use all 3 regularly and have found no difference in strength. I own enough ( and continue to buy) that I don’t baby my mags so while they have never seen a 2 way range they do get run.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By cubsfanbudman:

I own and use all 3 regularly and have found no difference in strength. I own enough ( and continue to buy) that I don’t baby my mags so while they have never seen a 2 way range they do get run.
View Quote

Thanks. I have some of both, and I just started seeing the laser-welded ones recently. D&H mags are about the best thing going right now.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top