Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2024 10:36:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deltahawk]
I'm not asking how to do it, I'm just asking about a potential change of headspace.

I have a complete Bushmaster DCM upper that has the competition sight on the upper with the carry handle (not detachable).

I also have a brand new Tactical Machine bare upper that has the rail for a scope.

All I want to do is change out the uppers so that I can scope the DCM upper.

My question is; since I'm using the same barrel assy. and bolt, will changing out just the upper potentially change the headspace of the barrel/bolt?
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless the new upper somehow affects the bolt  locking into the barrel extension, there shouldn't be any issues.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Just FYI, that front sight may well be brazed onto the barrel. A total PITA to swap everything out. Get yourself a gasblock to go along with the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]
No.  Headspace is a function of the dimensions of the interface between the bolt and barrel extension/barrel.  Theoretically, something out of whack with an upper could prevent the bolt from fully going into battery (something preventing full travel of the carrier), but the gun wouldn’t be able to fire in that condition (and it would be immediately apparent).
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top