Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2024 8:56:51 AM EDT
Working on a more precision-oriented upper build and picked up a BCM blem stripped upper because I prefer the thermal fit. The particular one that came to me is so tight that my receiver lapping tool won't fit. I'm tempted to chill the tool and heat the upper so I can use it to square the receiver face, but worried it will get stuck in the receiver once inserted. Anyone deal with this before?
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 9:18:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#1]
Yes, it’s happened to me a couple of times.  Solution is brain dead simple: don’t do it yourself.  For about $10 plus shipping Paladin Machine Shop Service, tp555(at)vfemail.net, will lathe turn the front for you and you’d have it back in a week.  Lathe turning is bound to be more accurate anyway.  Email him for current price.  He is located in Kershaw S.C.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
Yes, it’s happened to me a couple of times.  Solution is brain dead simple: don’t do it yourself.  For about $10 plus shipping Paladin Machine Shop Service, tp555(at)vfemail.net, will lathe turn the front for you and you’d have it back in a week.  Lathe turning is bound to be more accurate anyway.  Email him for current price.  He is located in Kershaw S.C.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen where some receivers were bored half way through from each end, and where they meet in the middle, they don't really line up very well.  It will leave a bit of a "step" in the middle that can cause a tight spot.

Tony

Link Posted: 8/16/2024 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I just picked up a BCM blem and I’m afraid I might run into this problem. I don’t currently own the lapping tool. Have you thought about chucking the tool in a drill and then running it with some high grit sand paper to take down the OD of the tool?
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 10:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#5]
Originally Posted By 2apatriot:
I just picked up a BCM blem and I’m afraid I might run into this problem. I don’t currently own the lapping tool. Have you thought about chucking the tool in a drill and then running it with some high grit sand paper to take down the OD of the tool?
View Quote

The purpose of the lapping tool is to true the face of the receiver, so the dimensional proportions are fairly important.  While I'm the kind of guy who will do just what you suggest, it might not be within the capability of the masses.  I literally opened the throats on a Ruger 45 Colt revolver cylinder using emery cloth wrapped around a dowel, and that gun went from barely being able to stay on a paper plate @ 50 yards to shooting 2" groups from a RR.  The other issue would be now that lapping tool is only useful with the same uppers, FWIW.

I'd do it, IF I bought into the hype of the BCM marketing...  
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

The purpose of the lapping tool is to true the face of the receiver, so the dimensional proportions are fairly important.  While I'm the kind of guy who will do just what you suggest, it might not be within the capability of the masses.  I literally opened the throats on a Ruger 45 Colt revolver cylinder using emery cloth wrapped around a dowel, and that gun went from barely being able to stay on a paper plate @ 50 yards to shooting 2" groups from a RR.  The other issue would be now that lapping tool is only useful with the same uppers, FWIW.

I'd do it, IF I bought into the hype of the BCM marketing...  
View Quote

Yeah I wondered about those issues too. I don’t know if you would have to take so much off that it wouldn’t work in other receivers.

As far as not buying the hype, I can see why the idea has merit. Some people shim the outside of the barre extension to stop movement, so it seems that a tight fit is thought to be important. I’m a little unsure of the value of the lapping tool. If I understand correctly, the point is so that the axis of the bore is as square to the receiver as possible. But once an optic is zeroed on a rifle, isn’t any deviation there accounted for? And is there enough variation without lapping for it to matter?
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 11:13:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#7]
Originally Posted By 2apatriot:

Yeah I wondered about those issues too. I don’t know if you would have to take so much off that it wouldn’t work in other receivers.

As far as not buying the hype, I can see why the idea has merit. Some people shim the outside of the barre extension to stop movement, so it seems that a tight fit is thought to be important. I’m a little unsure of the value of the lapping tool. If I understand correctly, the point is so that the axis of the bore is as square to the receiver as possible. But once an optic is zeroed on a rifle, isn’t any deviation there accounted for? And is there enough variation without lapping for it to matter?
View Quote

When you torque that barrel nut 30 - 80 ft lbs, it squeezes the nut around the barrel extension at the same time it pulls the barrel tight to the face of the receiver.  Starting out so tight you have to heat shit up is nothing but marketing hype, IMO.

A decent friction fit is all I need to have peace of mind.  If the barrel wobbles in the receiver tenon it is another story.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top