Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/25/2024 10:21:51 PM EDT
Title says it all.  What is your favorite AR15 stock and why?
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
LMT SOPMOD.

Cheekrest so comfortable you can fall asleep on it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Battle link, CTR, STR, Laruminati stuffs.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 10:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtsteve03] [#3]
A1 rifle

Edit: why? Good LOP while still allowing rifle buffer/spring for more reliable gas operation.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Magpul STR.

Nice and wide cheek rests, and the storage can be handy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have grown to like the larue rat stock.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Standard A2.  It fits perfect.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:12:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#7]
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Gunfighter mod 0
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:
A1 rifle

Edit: why? Good LOP while still allowing rifle buffer/spring for more reliable gas operation.
View Quote

A1 as well.

I like the type D.  It just has the perfect LOP for me and the right look for an AR.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Rogers Super Stock - no wobble.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Magpul CTR with LaRue RISR

Comfort, ease of use, perfect cheek weld for line of sight with my red dot mounts.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sergtjim:

A1 as well.

I like the type D.  It just has the perfect LOP for me and the right look for an AR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sergtjim:
A1 rifle

A1 as well.

I'm kinda there, although I do have various carbine stocks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#13]
N stock is the correct answer!
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Standard A2. A lot of folks shit on the A2 stock but for me it fits nicely in the shoulder pocket and consistent cheekweld every time.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#15]
BCM, B5, not many bad AR stocks from the big brands.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:37:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MoonlightAgain] [#16]
A1 rifle

View Quote

I'm with you.  I suppose I should say "A1* length" since I don't have an actual A1 stock.  I like the length---it's right where I tend to run collapsible carbine stocks anyway.  I like the Cavalry Arms C1 stock, I like the ACE skeleton stock (not the entry), I even like the KP15 unitary lower.  For some reason, I just really like fixed stocks!  (Edit to add: I also am just a fan of the rifle buffer/spring setup.  So smooooooooth.  End edit.)  In terms of carbine stocks I like the Gunfighter Mod 0 from BCM.

* Why do we always say "A1" when we're so frequently talking about "AR/M16" or "Pre-A2" features?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#17]
For looks? CAR. For feel/shoot ability? B5 Sopmod
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Magpul ACR

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#19]
A1 rifle

View Quote

Just fits/feels better than anything else.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#20]
FPNI
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#21]
B5 Sopmod, Magpul CTR
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Vltor imod clubfoot.  The most comfortable stock I have found.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#24]
For adjustable I like Rogers Super stock. For a fixed I like the Sully stock
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By theguymontag:
Rogers Super Stock - no wobble.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Magpul DT Stock Review/Baby's First Upgrade.

Probably the DT as an all-rounder.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#27]
LWRC Compact and/or CTR
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Another vote for the Magpul CTR.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Sopmod.  The BCM version is pretty good also
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Having tried literally every stock made or close to...

The Magpul SL milspec plain full size, no doubt, especially for a precision carbine. But ONLY if you are NOT wanting storage and are NOT wearing body armor. It has dual metal springs that remove ALL wiggle without the need for a secondary manual lock. The CTR friction lock eventually wears out and pops loose under recoil. The Roger's Super Stock is a crappy commercial spec body that can cinch to milspec tubes and must be locked. It is not tight in the collapsed position or one out on some milspec tubes. Everything else has plastic springs that are chincy wobble removal springs, no wobble removal, locks that wear out or do t work 100%, etc. This includes the Magpul SL-S storage stock which disappointingly also sucks and is rattling.
The standard/original milspec SL stock also has the best size/shape of shoulder interface. NOT too wide or flat. Perfect rake/shape for fit to shoulder pocket for prone or offhand shooting. VERY long full vertical coverage of stock toe... so long it sucks with a plate carrier as the toe interference with a plate carrier will annoy the hell out of you. Cheek is perfect width/shape for solid cheek interface while not being that fake extra wide style that only grabs too much cheek and amplifies your pulse into the gun through your head/cheek and opens groups up visible pulse at high magnification. It is extra long to take an A5 or AR10 carbine receiver extensions and gives an extra .5" LOP for prone shooting vs some other collapsing options if you are 6'4" or taller, but looks 100% normal on a carbine buffer tube and works great there too. Weight is as light as possible without making the gun heavy but just heavy enough to help balance the AR15. No useless cheek riser since on an AR you just use a 1.5" optic mount and get perfect stock height anyway. Simply perfection.

For use with a plate carrier, for a PDW, CQB use? Several good options fromLMT, B5, BCM, LWRC, etc. But I prefer the Magpul SL-M. But only if you have a receiverextension that fits well and DONT need storage. It is short enough to use on a PDW buffer tube, only weighs 7oz. Has a perfect toe length that won't interfere with a plate carrier but does not want to popup over your shoulder like a CAR stock. It is shorter than the SL-K but the extra length of the SL-K only makes the stock "look" fully collapsed when closed on a carbine length buffer tube. The SL-K just adds weight and removes PDW stock fitting, but does not make the stock fit any better than the SL-M as the added cheek area is not where you put your head and the toe height is the same on both the SL-K and SL-M. Sure the SL-never "looks" fully closed on a carbine receiver extension, but that is meaningless and you get a lighter, more streamlined stock with the SL-M. The only negative I can give it is that it JUST barely won't fully lock closed on a LWRC  UICW buffer tube, due to about 0.5mm excess length, or I would have swapped the LWRC UICW out for the SL-M since it is lighter (by a gram), less wobbly, and a better fit in the shoulder wearing armor. The negative of the SL-M is it requires a precision fit to your buffer tube to be its best, just like LMT and BCM.

Best collapsing stock for the money, all around? B5 Bravo. IF you don't want storage.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DevL:

The Magpul SL milspec plain full size, no doubt, especially for a precision carbine. But ONLY if you are NOT wanting storage and are NOT wearing body armor. It has dual metal springs that remove ALL wiggle without the need for a secondary manual lock. The CTR friction lock eventually wears out and pops loose under recoil. The Roger's Super Stock is a crappy commercial spec body that can cinch to milspec tubes and must be locked. It is not tight in the collapsed position or one out on some milspec tubes. Everything else has plastic springs that are chincy wobble removal springs, no wobble removal, locks that wear out or do t work 100%, etc. This includes the Magpul SL-S storage stock which disappointingly also sucks and is rattling.
The standard/original milspec SL stock also has the best size/shape of shoulder interface. NOT too wide or flat. Perfect rake/shape for fit to shoulder pocket for prone or offhand shooting. VERY long full vertical coverage of stock toe... so long it sucks with a plate carrier as the toe interference with a plate carrier will annoy the hell out of you. Cheek is perfect width/shape for solid cheek interface while not being that fake extra wide style that only grabs too much cheek and amplifies your pulse into the gun through your head/cheek and opens groups up visible pulse at high magnification. It is extra long to take an A5 or AR10 carbine receiver extensions and gives an extra .5" LOP for prone shooting vs some other collapsing options if you are 6'4" or taller, but looks 100% normal on a carbine buffer tube and works great there too. Weight is as light as possible without making the gun heavy but just heavy enough to help balance the AR15. No useless cheek riser since on an AR you just use a 1.5" optic mount and get perfect stock height anyway. Simply perfection.

For use with a plate carrier, for a PDW, CQB use? Several good options fromLMT, B5, BCM, LWRC, etc. But I prefer the Magpul SL-M. But only if you have a receiverextension that fits well and DONT need storage. It is short enough to use on a PDW buffer tube, only weighs 7oz. Has a perfect toe length that won't interfere with a plate carrier but does not want to popup over your shoulder like a CAR stock. It is shorter than the SL-K but the extra length of the SL-K only makes the stock "look" fully collapsed when closed on a carbine length buffer tube. The SL-K just adds weight and removes PDW stock fitting, but does not make the stock fit any better than the SL-M as the added cheek area is not where you put your head and the toe height is the same on both the SL-K and SL-M. Sure the SL-never "looks" fully closed on a carbine receiver extension, but that is meaningless and you get a lighter, more streamlined stock with the SL-M. The only negative I can give it is that it JUST barely won't fully lock closed on a LWRC  UICW buffer tube, due to about 0.5mm excess length, or I would have swapped the LWRC UICW out for the SL-M since it is lighter (by a gram), less wobbly, and a better fit in the shoulder wearing armor. The negative of the SL-M is it requires a precision fit to your buffer tube to be its best, just like LMT and BCM.

Best collapsing stock for the money, all around? B5 Bravo. IF you don't want storage.
View Quote

This is where I landed, Magpul SL for full size and SL-M on KAK mini milspec tubes for SBR’s.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#32]
A1 Stock
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Enzo300:
Another vote for the Magpul CTR.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DevL:

View Quote

Wow!.....great response.  Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#35]
A1 rifle

View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Magpul CTR and B5 Bravo.

I've tried a few stocks with the storage options and find myself never really needing the storage, I keep the same batteries and such in my kit or range bag anyway.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#37]
LMT SOPMOD for bigger guns and Magpul SL-K for smaller guns.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#38]
LMT SOPMOD or the B5 Enhanced

I cannot tell the difference between the two stocks.  I would not pay the additional $100 plus dollars just to get a LMT.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Either a Magpul STR or a Sopmod
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Advance:
LMT SOPMOD for bigger guns and Magpul SL-K for smaller guns.
View Quote

this is the answer
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:

I cannot tell the difference between the two stocks.  I would not pay the additional $100 plus dollars just to get a LMT.
View Quote

only reason is the color i'd think.
LMT tan looks better than both B5's tan and coyote.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Magpul MOE SL on all my shorties. Of which that's all I own.. suppressed SBR's.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm boring i guess.
Magpul Moe fixed carbine stock.
Have replaced almost all of my adjustables.
Solid, light, perfect length for me, no beard pulling.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Colt CS stock. Someone needs to start making them again.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Waffle, the gun industry has made a fortune selling us stocks we don't need.
I've tried them all and came back to the original.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
I'm boring i guess.
Magpul Moe fixed carbine stock.
Have replaced almost all of my adjustables.
Solid, light, perfect length for me, no beard pulling.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173511/PXL_20240310_210901639_jpg-3251321.JPG
View Quote

Yeah that was my fav too until I simplified to ace stock. Still using them on my kids guns

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Magpul UBR because of the consistent cheek weld and I don't get my beard hairs caught in it like others.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:
Yeah that was my fav too until I simplified to ace stock. Still using them on my kids guns
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523616/8A029C17-591B-4099-841D-DE8F5495A20F_jpe-3251339.JPG
View Quote

Nice, ALG rails, also my favorite....
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:

View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top