Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 7/8/2024 6:57:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3-gun]
I already have a HLX  and a surefire scout.
Both work fine, stream light is cheaper. I’m not a cop or operator.
Just fitting up one more rifle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on your budget. You just missed (I think) the Modlite garage sale where you can score a PLHV2 head for $120.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I gave it a look but they only had red
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve used one of these or one of these on my last five builds and they’ve been great
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
What are you putting it on? My Gen 1 cloud works great, but is annoyingly long on an SBR. I prefer the surefire 340 there. Compared side by side, for my uses I prefer the cloud. But, the smaller size of the 340 on a short rail is worth the tradeoffs to me. I had/have a streamlight. It worked fine and lives on, on my kid's AR. People complain about pressure switch issues. I like clicky caps, so no help there
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Will probably go on the Aug, use tail cap
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Streamlight < Surefire < Modlite < Cloud

Streamlight is the only reputable Chinese light maker IMO. Surefire is a big step up from them still.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 6:27:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#7]
I've been using Streamlights for many years w/o a problem, currently using the HLX & HLX Pro on rifles & shotgun and am very happy with them.
Streamlight gets my vote.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 10:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3-gun] [#8]
Yeah, at the current price range I’ll probably get the stream light. If I was searching building, jumping out of airplanes it would be different.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
A couple of handhelds and one WML from them. I've had no issues. I'd buy another. The internet's not going to fall at your feet, but id bet it does what you need for like 1/3 of the price. I have a less used rifle that will probably get one soon. It's not a cheap gun, but it doesn't see a lot of use. I can't see spending $300 for a light I'll probably never use. I'm confident in throwing a streamlight on it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Scout turbo.

In my opinion it’s the best light available.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Scout turbo.

In my opinion it's the best light available.
View Quote
This.

Get the long or short one to your liking, same output just different run times with the rechargeable batteries.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 8:06:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJL0325] [#12]
Another vote for Surefire Turbo

Link Posted: 7/13/2024 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Streamlight < Surefire < Modlite < Cloud

Streamlight is the only reputable Chinese light maker IMO. Surefire is a big step up from them still.
View Quote

Pretty accurate
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 5:34:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough] [#14]
The best engineered solution is the Surefire. It has a spring loaded contact in the head that is also buffered from recoil by a polymer pedestal, like all Scouts. Cloud takes the battery jack approach, but this is more issue prone, as it is not a passive solution. Streamlight is a well assembled Chinese product. Nothing really innovative,  but their reputation is solid, minus their remote switches. Modlite is the simplest American option. It's just a quality die, reflector, and driver smothered in epoxy with a spring on the back as a contact.

Digging deeper...

Cloud and Surefire are the only ones to offer dual fuel single cr123 lights.

Cloud pushes roughly 2x the lumens of surefire, but also at 2x the amps. 3ish vs 6ish. For the single cell 18350 lights, this becomes a runtime consideration.

The surefire ecosystem allows use of unity tactical and surefire switches, which currently are the only IR/Crane integrated options (we won't discuss streamlight here, due to their track record with tapeswitches).

Ultimately, the trend is for "mini" scout lights to be the size of the OG fullsize models, by and large, all save for the Malkoff and Modlite 18350s, which won't take dual fuel. I have tried them all, and prefer the Cloud 3.0 Micro and Surefire 340dft. The surefire allows more switch options and has an integrated mount, while the Cloud has much higher lumens, but similar lux, at a 100% more amp draw penalty. Not insignificant.

This is my current setup.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#15]
SF 340 scout turbo.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top