Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2024 6:57:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bruh44]
When I got into ARs the best barrels were cold hammer forged and chrome lined. I’m sure CHF is still the best but it seems most companies have gone away from chrome lining. I understand it can cause accuracy issues. I also am aware it can displace heat better. But it seems most manufacturers are doing some form of Nitrite salt bath. So what are the best standard AR barrels out there and why?
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#1]
No expert, but nitride has come a long way vs. CL.

Anything I care about for accuracy and longevity gets CHF, CL which for me is Daniel Defense, either factory uppers or barrels.  I have a couple of Criterion that are CL but I don't think are CHF.

My beaters have nitride barrels.  They probably work well enough though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 10:14:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jd2395:
No expert, but nitride has come a long way vs. CL.

Anything I care about for accuracy and longevity gets CHF, CL which for me is Daniel Defense, either factory uppers or barrels.  I have a couple of Criterion that are CL but I don't think are CHF.

My beaters have nitride barrels.  They probably work well enough though.
View Quote

This pretty much.

Very good barrels can be had that are nitride, provided they are a high quality barrel prior to being treated...nitride treatment doesn't make a bad barrel good, just a more corrosion resistant bad barrel.

My first choice is a C/L Spike's Tactical Optimal Profile CHF, made by FN.  For me its the best combo of profile, weight, accuracy, and durability.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I would vote "top quality" as a Criterion Core barrel or Daniel Defense barrel.
Criterion comes out on top IMO. Very nice barrels.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#4]
CHF/CL is still pretty much the standard for hard use barrels.  Nitride, IMO, seems to be mostly relegated to cheaper barrels, simply because it’s a cheaper process.  Now, that’s not to say there aren’t any good nitrided barrels.

DD, Centurion Arms, Spike’s, etc are all very good.  I prefer Centurion due to the tabbed gas block and reasonable gas port sizes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:

My first choice is a C/L Spike's Tactical Optimal Profile CHF, made by FN.  For me its the best combo of profile, weight, accuracy, and durability.
View Quote

+1, I have several, they're great barrels.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#6]
FN, Colt, Noveske, Wilson

Those cover snyrgijg I could need,
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're after longevity first, and accuracy second, go with chrome-lined.
If you want accuracy, but it doesn't need to be match-winning, go with QPQ, or nitride, or any of the half-dozen names it goes by.
If you want match winning capability, stainless steel is the answer.
Green Mountain makes good, chrome-lined barrels.
Just about any body makes QPQ, or nitrided barrels.
For the SS, there is any myriad of makers, i e. Wilson Arms, Criterion, White Oak Armory, Compass Lake come to mind.
What is the purpose of your rifle? Plinking/range toy? Self defense? EIC and President's 100? XTC?
What its purpose is will go a l-o-n-g way toward helping you pick a barrel.
Jon
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm an accuracy guy.  I've got Proof, Criterion, Shilen but my go-to best performers are 3 from XCaliber.  2 SS and one CF.  They all are stupid accurate.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all for the replies. I’ve always stuck with Bravo, Daniel Defense and LMT. I’ll check out the FN barrels.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 2:02:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#10]
My FN CHF CL 10.5" 1:is the most accurate chrome lined barrel i have owned of any length.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#11]
What does “best” mean?

Most resistant to erosion under high-rate-of-fire?
Most corrosion-resistant?
Most accurate?

If you gave a CHF chrome-lined barrel to a sniper they’d say it’s the worst.
If you have a 1/2moa single-point cut-rifled Krieger to a machine gunner he’d say it was the worst.
Switch them and they’d both say they were the best.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I would hope a sniper isn’t using a 5.56 round.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bruh44:
View Quote
You would hope wrong, but dude’s point stands. Best for whom and what?
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Musketjon:
If you're after longevity first, and accuracy second, go with chrome-lined.
If you want accuracy, but it doesn't need to be match-winning, go with QPQ, or nitride, or any of the half-dozen names it goes by.
If you want match winning capability, stainless steel is the answer.
Green Mountain makes good, chrome-lined barrels.
View Quote

Far right in that picture is a GM barrel made for Colt that has NO chrome lining.

Picture is a group of the 'more accurate' barrels I currently have and GM is definitely in that group for me.

GM makes very good quality barrels...
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 for Gm barrels.  I have one on a Ruger 10/22 and it performs well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 3:36:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#16]
Delete.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bruh44:
View Quote

Why?  What is wrong with M855A1, for instance, or MK 262 within their effective range?
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 3:43:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#18]
If accuracy is your main consideration, then bartlein

Need to know what your expectations are
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#19]
A lot of good replies here so far, really though it depends on your use case and requirements as to what would be the "best" in you particular situation.

I favor the FN models posted above, though the GM barrels I've used have be stellar also...but my use is general range, classes, plinking, etc.

I also have a couple cheaper QPQ barrels that came as part of complete uppers, which will be used as is for cheap steel ammo.

For a more precision application I would recommend a high quality stainless model, some of which can be had with a nitride or QPQ finish.

Get what suits your application, budget, and skill level.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 8:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskerz] [#20]
Criterion , Krieger , Douglas. White Oak Armament.  In any order. There are 1-3 others. Criterion offers match chrome liner barrels as well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm pretty sure Larue on that list?
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top