Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2020 7:24:34 AM EDT
I'm looking to build another upper. I'm stuck on the debate about stainless steel and chrome-lined barrels. I want an accurate barrel that is lightweight and could take a string of shots (heat). I narrowed my choices to these two. I know SS barrels tend to be more accurate due to machineability, but heat up and open your groups sooner... along with a shorter barrel life. With that said, I know chrome-lined barrels tend to be less accurate due to the process for chrome-lining a barrel, but deals with heat better and allows you to be accurate for a longer duration... also gives you a longer barrel life. The barrel life isn't that important to me. The Criterion barrels are honed and hand-lapped that should make the chrome-lined barrel finish better and also a faster barrel (velocity). Help me choose my next barrel. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:09:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Having dealt with Criterion over a defective barrel, I would never buy one of their barrels again. They made excuses why it was bad, and when I offered to send it back so they could see what was wrong with the barrel, if they sent me a RMA, it was crickets. I did not even ask for my money back or a replacement barrel, I just wanted them to be able to see what was wrong with the barrel.

The barrel was a 18” 6.5 Grendel and the best I could get out of it was over 1 MOA, and when warmed up opened up to 3-4 MOA. The barrel I replaced it with shot right under 1 MOA right out of the box and after break in shoots even better.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Of the off the shelf/easily gotten barrels, I really like Daniel Defense.

-One of the few companies that forges the chamber and bore at the same time.
  This eliminates non-concentric leade, as well as chatter or rough leade. It eliminates the chance of a chamber/bore not being concentric.
-CHF
   This produces a very smooth bore surface and in my experience needs less attention regarding copper fouling. It also arguably lengthens bore life.
-They have finally gotten ahold of themselves regarding gas port sizes.
-The barrels are affordable and can be had with taper pinned gas blocks already installed, which removes some stress and work from you. Even competent people can have a bit break or walk or some other shenanigans.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:07:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been happy with my 13.9" Criterion Core. I also have a 12.5 Criterion hybrid profile that has been great.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:19:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I went with Larue for 5.56, Criterion stainless for .308.  I am pleased.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having dealt with Criterion over a defective barrel, I would never buy one of their barrels again. They made excuses why it was bad, and when I offered to send it back so they could see what was wrong with the barrel, if they sent me a RMA, it was crickets. I did not even ask for my money back or a replacement barrel, I just wanted them to be able to see what was wrong with the barrel.

The barrel was a 18” 6.5 Grendel and the best I could get out of it was over 1 MOA, and when warmed up opened up to 3-4 MOA. The barrel I replaced it with shot right under 1 MOA right out of the box and after break in shoots even better.
View Quote

I had great service from Criterion over a chamber issue on a remage barrel.  There were the usual round of questions initially but they paid for shipping both ways and asked for 2-3 pieces of fired brass to be included.  They rechambered and returned.  What was a 2 MOA 22-250 became a great shooter.  No Criterion complaints from me.

My first choice and go to now is X-Caliber.  I have several of their barrels and all are amazing shooters.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had great service from Criterion over a chamber issue on a remage barrel.  There were the usual round of questions initially but they paid for shipping both ways and asked for 2-3 pieces of fired brass to be included.  They rechambered and returned.  What was a 2 MOA 22-250 became a great shooter.  No Criterion complaints from me.

My first choice and go to now is X-Caliber.  I have several of their barrels and all are amazing shooters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I asked for was a RMA so they could figure out what was wrong with their barrel, I never asked for anything back. I was going to leave that up to them. I guy at Criterion acted like it was a bother to do anything. I had bought the barrel from PA and they were not happy with how I was treated.
I bought a Faxon Match barrel and it shoots under 1 MOA all day long just like a Grendel should. It was a toss between the Faxon and a Wilson Combat barrel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Of the off the shelf/easily gotten barrels, I really like Daniel Defense.

-One of the few companies that forges the chamber and bore at the same time.
  This eliminates non-concentric leade, as well as chatter or rough leade. It eliminates the chance of a chamber/bore not being concentric.
-CHF
   This produces a very smooth bore surface and in my experience needs less attention regarding copper fouling. It also arguably lengthens bore life.
-They have finally gotten ahold of themselves regarding gas port sizes.
-The barrels are affordable and can be had with taper pinned gas blocks already installed, which removes some stress and work from you. Even competent people can have a bit break or walk or some other shenanigans.
View Quote

Big fan of DD barrels as well. Easily some of the most consistently high quality barrels I’ve come across.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top