Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2024 12:55:18 PM EDT
What's the purpose of the pressure pad? Do they work better than the clicky tail cap?
I'm setting my rifles up with lights and can't figure out where the pressure pad should go, and having a hard time convincing myself that I like it better than the tail cap. It seems that my hand, rather my thumb is closer to the tail cap to turn it on than having to move my hand to hit a pressure switch.
What am I doing wrong?
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my thumb to be a little away from either. Under stress you don't want to accidently light yourself up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alacop:
I like my thumb to be a little away from either. Under stress you don't want to accidently light yourself up.
View Quote
That makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It makes sense if you want to put the light somewhere your thumb isn’t?

Like my white light is on the right side of the gun.
I’m right handed. So can’t hit the light from where I naturally am.

This is cause my IR laser is under my thumb naturally. So I get to pick which thing to do.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Brawnydog:
It seems that my hand, rather my thumb is closer to the tail cap to turn it on than having to move my hand to hit a pressure switch.
What am I doing wrong?
View Quote

Now switch hands.
If you have a pad along the center of the HG either hand can activate a light mounted on one side.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't like it, don't run one. Tons of the tip top door kickers don't run one for white light. They like the guard on the end cap as it protects against ADs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Advance:
If you don't like it, don't run one. Tons of the tip top door kickers don't run one for white light. They like the guard on the end cap as it protects against ADs.
View Quote
Thanks. I'm not trying to make myself use one, I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around it. I try to be rational in my decisions and like to hear the reasons behind setups.
I just don't think it'll work for me. I am 100% going to flail my hand around and rip out the cable, or bump the pressure pad against something when I don't want to.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a clicky tailcap fan. I've tried the pressure pad, I negligently discharge white light. Tried different placement, same outcome.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Vague:
I'm a clicky tailcap fan. I've tried the pressure pad, I negligently discharge white light. Tried different placement, same outcome.
View Quote
It adds a level of complexity that I will no doubt exploit into doing something stupid.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#9]
It adds a level of complexity that I will no doubt exploit into doing something stupid.
View Quote

couple of things.... are you a tier one door kicker? cause if not, a white light AD is unlikely to be a make or break situation for you. The pressure pads often fit inside recesses in your front rail so you really can't bump it unless you want to.

Wires and whatnot do need to be considered but there are options between tape, cable ties, specific mounts, etc that help you get squared away. Check out the Armory- Tactical Gear forum to get some ideas.

I like capability at this point in my shooting life. I have my rattler set up as HD with a top mounted TRL HL that can be fired from either hand. My normal stance gets me access to IR light and IR laser in a single pressure pad. All I have to do it decide hand placement to get activation of whatever I need at the time, it's not rocket surgery.

I genuinely doubt I'll be up against NV equipped bad guys, and my most likely use case is HD where I have home field advantage (and other lights set up around the house) so unlikely to even need white light. My kids are tiny so unless the bad guy is under 3 feet tall that's gonna factor into my target ID.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

couple of things.... are you a tier one door kicker? cause if not, a white light AD is unlikely to be a make or break situation for you. The pressure pads often fit inside recesses in your front rail so you really can't bump it unless you want to.

Wires and whatnot do need to be considered but there are options between tape, cable ties, specific mounts, etc that help you get squared away. Check out the Armory- Tactical Gear forum to get some ideas.

I like capability at this point in my shooting life. I have my rattler set up as HD with a top mounted TRL HL that can be fired from either hand. My normal stance gets me access to IR light and IR laser in a single pressure pad. All I have to do it decide hand placement to get activation of whatever I need at the time, it's not rocket surgery.

I genuinely doubt I'll be up against NV equipped bad guys, and my most likely use case is HD where I have home field advantage (and other lights set up around the house) so unlikely to even need white light. My kids are tiny so unless the bad guy is under 3 feet tall that's gonna factor into my target ID.
View Quote
Definitely not and operator. My intended use, and most likely use, is to light up coyotes in the yard. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something because there seem to be a lot of pressure pads in use. I have concluded that I am fine without one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#11]
you don't need one. why do you feel obligated to use one? it's another failure point that's way more likely to ND than a clicky cap.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:14:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNRonin] [#12]
Check out Valhalla tactical. They've got a switch that attaches to the back of a surefire. I ordered one and the seashells. I'm not a big fan of pads and all the extra mess you got to deal with this allows you to use the end of the flashlight for your pressure point.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#13]
The main reason is ambidextrous activation, and you’re not limited to mounting the light where you can reach the tailcap with your thumb (this is more of an issue with longer handguards).
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TNRonin:
Check out Valhalla tactical. They've got a switch that attaches to the back of a surefire. I ordered one and the seashells. I'm not a big fan of pads and all the extra mess you got to deal with this allows you to use the end of the flashlight for your pressure point.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13145/Screenshot_20240629_201637_Samsung_Inter-3253977.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13145/Screenshot_20240629_201729_Samsung_Inter-3253978.JPG
View Quote
Dang, I like that
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#15]
The Surefire Light Ecosystem is Agony
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
I haven't watched the video yet, but I imagine it has to do with tail caps, heads, pressure pads, and mounting options. It's absolutely ridiculous how may different parts have to be swapped out to make these things work the way they want.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

View Quote

I have my lights at 12:00 as well.  They are TLR-RM's with green lasers instead of IR.  This allows my to use the push button on the tail of the light and a tap switch at the same time.  What I like about those are the ability to turn the bezel slightly which turns the light off, thus no light (or laser) activation.

I also have TLR 1-HL with different tail caps, the best being the non-springy ON/Switch/OFF when used with a tap switch.

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 2:48:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I haven't watched the video yet, but I imagine it has to do with tail caps, heads, pressure pads, and mounting options. It's absolutely ridiculous how may different parts have to be swapped out to make these things work the way they want.
View Quote

Or you could just buy Cloud Defensive and not swap anything and it all works together the way it should, including wire control. All cohesive, from one brand, integrated from the factory. Momentary or constant, clicky and remote, dual lead coming soon, etc.

I am not affiliated with Cloud, but I got tired of all the Modlite+SF+UNITY+Arson combos just to make a cohesive setup.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

Or you could just buy Cloud Defensive and not swap anything and it all works together the way it should, including wire control. All cohesive, from one brand, integrated from the factory. Momentary or constant, clicky and remote, dual lead coming soon, etc.

I am not affiliated with Cloud, but I got tired of all the Modlite+SF+UNITY+Arson combos just to make a cohesive setup.
View Quote
Thanks, I figured there had to be some brand that had everything you needed already integrated.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Put my lights on the left, hit the click switch with my thumb. Easy breezy. Have only used pressure pads in a few weird instances where I couldn't make that work.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I also run my lights on the left with a clicky cap. If shooting with my non dominant hand I can still activate the light it's just a bit more of a reach.

I just larp in the woods and use my stuff for home defense.

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, I figured there had to be some brand that had everything you needed already integrated.
View Quote

They have yet to drop their dual lead switch, but it's coming sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I like redundancy and have a Hot Button for ambient activation at the 12 and the Surefire DS which gives a clicky cap option as a secondary.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Run what works for you and train with what you run!
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I run a pressure switch with a master on and off. That said I’m not seal team 6 so chances are very low that it will ever be an issue either way.

Link Posted: 7/4/2024 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Another dynamic that changes everything is shooting from a barricade or through small openings in that barricade. Shooting from under a car, switching from dominant to non dominant hand sides. Shooting from different sides of a wheel let’s say…having a pressure pad makes this easier for me. Not as much to think about in switching up my hands and is more intuitive to go to that centralized pressure pad for my light source.  Just food for thought and a great conversation!
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I position mine an inch or so away from my thumb's natural position so I only have to shift my thumb to hit it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Having held a lot of people at gunpoint and needed to take my support hand off the gun to do things like use my radio I really appreciate a constant on clicky for a light. Moving through heavy brush or opening doors while maintaining illumination on an area is another thing a clicky is good for. Sometimes your hand needs to do something while you need to keep an area light up, it’s good to have options…be it a tailcap or Hot Button/Axon constant on can be a big benefit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 9:20:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#29]
Form follows function. Sometimes you can choose between pressure switch and clicky switch, sometimes the configuration of the firearm leaves you little choice.
Examples:
On my S&W M&P 12 there is only one possible WML setup where I can reach the pressure switch w/o taking my hand off the front grip. If I go clicky switch, I have to take my hand completely off the front grip to reach up for the switch:
Attachment Attached File

On my Tavor X95 I can set it up either way, both setups have their pros & cons:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

As mentioned earlier, choose what works best for you.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Another thing to know about pressure pads make sure you manage the wires. Used to never do more than wrap it around the handguard. I ripped the cord out of a light deploying it when the cord caught part of the gun mount. Not an issue for the average guy throwing it in the closet for pest control but if you’re using it for defense purposes make sure it’s all tucked properly.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top