Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2024 3:16:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KO21outdoors]
I’m starting to do a lot of learning on BCGs from a lot of you on here but want things put more concisely.

I am pairing down to 1 AR so I can reinvest the lower budget builds into one really nice build and more training.
I currently have an old DPMS phosphate bcg with about 800 rounds on it. The gas key staking is horrible, not sure if it’s chromed on the inside like the website says (I’ll look in the morning and it’s been discontinued for a while), and was having extraction issues last I used it. I replaced the extractor spring with a Sprinco 4-coil. Haven’t tested it yet.

That being said, shall I send that bcg down the road or relegate it to back-up duty in my new “high quality” build?

I’ve also owned a Sionics phosphate and AO precision phosphate and would likely head that direction again. Had to sell them to get some cash at the time.

Or chrome? SOLGW chrome, PA EXPO Arms chrome (chrome bolt and extractor too, does that matter?)

Sionics NP3 over a phosphate or chrome?

I think I like C158 over 9310 bolts. Tool steel extractors seem nice.

Don’t think I’m into proprietary (KAC, LMT, etc.) just in case I need to replace parts.

What direction should I head?

EDIT: only real concern with application is function in cold temps, between freezing and -20*f, so I tend to run low amounts of lube. Otherwise range larping with the bois during the summer I’m not concerned with any of the options out there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:27:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BULLDAWG_556] [#1]
Originally Posted By KO21outdoors:
I’m starting to do a lot of learning on BCGs from a lot of you on here but want things put more concisely.

I am pairing down to 1 AR so I can reinvest the lower budget builds into one really nice build and more training.
I currently have an old DPMS phosphate bcg with about 800 rounds on it. The gas key staking is horrible, not sure if it’s chromed on the inside like the website says (I’ll look in the morning and it’s been discontinued for a while), and was having extraction issues last I used it. I replaced the extractor spring with a Sprinco 4-coil. Haven’t tested it yet.

That being said, shall I send that bcg down the road or relegate it to back-up duty in my new “high quality” build?

I’ve also owned a Sionics phosphate and AO precision phosphate and would likely head that direction again. Had to sell them to get some cash at the time.

Or chrome? SOLGW chrome, PA EXPO Arms chrome (chrome bolt and extractor too, does that matter?)

Sionics NP3 over a phosphate or chrome?

I think I like C158 over 9310 bolts. Tool steel extractors seem nice.

Don’t think I’m into proprietary (KAC, LMT, etc.) just in case I need to replace parts.

What direction should I head?

EDIT: only real concern with application is function in cold temps, between freezing and -20*f, so I tend to run low amounts of lube. Otherwise range larping with the bois during the summer I’m not concerned with any of the options out there.
View Quote

I really like the young's chrome bcg, if you can find one at a decent price, grab it.
Otherwise, Centurion Sand Cutter, Geissele, BCM or Colt is what I run.

I do have a Bootleg adjustable that I am playing with.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:34:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#2]
Mil Spec HPT/MPI.    

Toolcraft or AO Precision.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Sionics NP3 would be nice. July 4th sales are coming up, should be able to get a Geissele REBCG for $250-$285 brand new. They are more gas efficient in my experience and function with smaller gas ports. The forged bolt and nano coating are nice features.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:
Mil Spec HPT/MPI.    

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Mil Spec HPT/MPI.    

View Quote

Microbest as well
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By watgar:

Microbest as well
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By watgar:
Mil Spec HPT/MPI.    

Microbest as well

All of this.
Chrome cleans up easy. It's an added expense, but aside from the initial cost, I see no downside to it. It's certainly not necessary. I run a chrome microbest in my 11.5 and like it. I'm not going to start replacing my other BCGs, but on new builds I'll probably use more.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the BCG from Mitchell Defense too.  It is hands down the best I've used.  Reliable, durable, properly done.  Higher price but worth the money for the product you get.  

https://www.mitchelldefense.com/product/md-enhanced-bolt-carrier-group/
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Any of the ones listed in this thread will likely work just fine for you. I typically get Toolcraft phosphate BCGs. No particular reason aside from regular availability, price, and I've never broken one. I did add a BCM extractor upgrade kit to the one in my 10.3 when it showed signs of wear.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Choose a quality/vetted BCG, it's far from difficult. The major players have already been named here.

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
So just keep the DPMS and replace if I have issues or money to burn? I’m assuming it’s a Toolcraft or Microbest. However, it doesn’t have any inspection markings on the bolt though like the DPMS discontinued product page has. Nor is it chrome-lined.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Regardless of the brand logo on the side, there’s a 98% chance that it was manufactured by either Toolcraft, AO Precision, or Microbest. Personally I stick with BCM or SOLGW (whichever is the better price) phosphate/CL because IME they hold theirs to tighter tolerances. The Sionics NP3 is nice, I just can’t bring myself to spend that much on a BCG.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#12]
A BCG works, or it doesn't.   Typically not working, would be a bolt issue.

For a range toy, it doesn't matter.   For special occasions, you will want a Mil-Spec BCG at the minimum.  I have more than one spare BCG.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By KO21outdoors:
So just keep the DPMS and replace if I have issues or money to burn? I’m assuming it’s a Toolcraft or Microbest. However, it doesn’t have any inspection markings on the bolt though like the DPMS discontinued product page has. Nor is it chrome-lined.
View Quote

I would just run it until/if it breaks. Pick up a spare AO, TC, or MB to have on hand if/ when your current BCG breaks... Or alternatively, just get a back up bolt (which is what usually breaks. Jmo
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:07:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#14]
double tap
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:13:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#15]
Tighten and re-stake the DPMS carrier. Don’t buy an expensive specialty bolt group given your stated circumstances. Just use quality milspec as others have suggested.

On a macro level, I’d suggest that your ultimate plan should be to buy a quality factory rifle.

I’d personally see if Geissele has a 4th of July sale on complete Super Duty rifles. Buy one and forgo assembling your own.

Or buy a $700 Colt 6920 OEM2, add a handguard and furniture.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:17:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#16]
Originally Posted By AlphaBravo4:
Check out the BCG from Mitchell Defense too.  It is hands down the best I've used.  Reliable, durable, properly done.  Higher price but worth the money for the product you get.  

https://www.mitchelldefense.com/product/md-enhanced-bolt-carrier-group/
View Quote

Worth it exactly how? What failures were you getting from a quality milspec bolt group? That Mitchell Defense bolt group truly offers nothing worth the added cost. And their description is comical. “made using advanced manufacturing techniques to increase its reliability and durability from the standard MILSPEC BCG.”

A 9310 bolt should tell you all you need to know about it. Hard pass.

Buy a factory Colt instead.

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

On a macro level, I’d suggest that your ultimate plan should be to buy a quality factory rifle.

I’d personally see if Geissele has a 4th of July sale on complete Super Duty rifles. Buy one and forgo assembling your own.

Or buy a $700 Colt 6920 OEM2, add a handguard and furniture.
View Quote

Only on AR15.com. "I'd like to buy a bcg" "what you should do is buy another rifle"
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Stowe:

Only on AR15.com. "I'd like to buy a bcg" "what you should do is buy another rifle"
View Quote

Exactly. Though I was making a recommendation re: his global plan of quality over quantity. Instead of buying up parts and assembling, I’d buy a factory rifle in the future as money permits.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Not judging. Just found it amusing and very fitting for this site.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

Buy a factory Colt instead.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Stowe:

Only on AR15.com. "what you should do is buy another rifle"
View Quote

Since spare AR parts seem to morph into complete rifles over time, you might as well speed up the process.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 12:29:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#22]
Mil Spec HPT/MPI.    

View Quote

For what it's worth, Toolcraft is batch tested.  AO is individually HPT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top