Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2024 12:07:36 PM EDT
I've been doing some research on the CC round. Seems do do as advertised. I think when on sale it can be $600 per case of 500. Looking to stock up on a good defense round, adding hunting capabilities would be great.

Here is the catch. I only use 2 barrel lengths in all my ARs. 12.5 and 20". I know most rounds do their job out of a 20" barrel. My HD and go to rifle setups are all 12.5 though.

Anyone have experience on this rounds performance out of a shorter barrel? 11.5-13.9?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I know nothing of this round, but eve if  did, if I were considering it, I would call the company and ask a few questions. The answers will tell you everything you know if you plug the numbers into JBM ballistics.

1. What is the advertised velocity, and what barrel length was it attained from.

2. And this is necessary if you don't have a chronograph. What is your velocity estimate for the two barrel lengths I have.
If you have a chronograph, skip that one.

3. What is the minimum velocity threshold for complete expansion / wound effect method.

4. What is the B.C. of the projectile at the velocities I will achieve.

Once you have this info, put it into JBM and select every ten yards as the data reporting distance. Whatever the distance is where the bullet reaches the minimum expansion / wounding mechanism threshold, that's you max range for full capability of that bullet.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Youtube is your friend.

AR15.com 's own Andrew did a test of some other company loading the same bullet out of a 10.5" barrel.
Andrew tests 62gr CC 10.5"
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:28:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Grainz] [#3]
Originally Posted By MRTEX:
I've been doing some research on the CC round. Seems do do as advertised. I think when on sale it can be $600 per case of 500. Looking to stock up on a good defense round, adding hunting capabilities would be great.

Here is the catch. I only use 2 barrel lengths in all my ARs. 12.5 and 20". I know most rounds do their job out of a 20" barrel. My HD and go to rifle setups are all 12.5 though.

Anyone have experience on this rounds performance out of a shorter barrel? 11.5-13.9?
View Quote

Made the mistake of ordering from them, and it is a mistake that will never happen again. COAL was all over the place, projectile was sitting so high in the case it would not seat into a pmag. Tried to address it with them and I only got static then crickets. So I wrote a review on their Facebook page and online. I contacted Katie Weiss and she chose to ignore my calls and emails. She finally got back to me 6 months later after I left poor reviews, offered to refund me after I paid to ship them back. And by this time they wiped all the negative reviews off facebook and online. Which to me shows you are a company with poor QC and even lower integrity. I would look elsewhere like APEX which is sold at Ammunition Depot, AMMO Inc which I picked up for .60 cents a round. You might also try SBR or Underwood as both have really nice loadings of CC. Controlled Chaos is a great round, but not from Grind Hard... If you already pulled the trigger, I hope your experience is better than mine was.. And just for clarity I owned CC in 300BLK, 308, and 5.56 before I ever bought from them. So I had many examples of what it should look like when loaded properly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Black Hills loads the CC bullet in their 62gr Dual Performance round.

Its the round I have loaded in my go to gun

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/184365/IMG_7892-3102453.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/184365/Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-21_14_35_21_5-3102421.png
View Quote

Are yours sealed at the case neck?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/184365/IMG_7892-3102453.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/184365/Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-21_14_35_21_5-3102421.png
View Quote

The BC on those are abysmal, BUT, they perform down to around 1500fps or so, as I recall.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:16:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trapsh00ter99] [#7]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

Are yours sealed at the case neck?
View Quote
The box says "Water Resistant" on it. I remember visibly seeing sealant around the primer...didn't look closely at the bullet.
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

The BC on those are abysmal, BUT, they perform down to around 1500fps or so, as I recall.
View Quote
For 10.5 barrel gun considering all the factors, I thought this was the best performing round closely followed by the 77 TMK or 70 TSX.

At 275 yards (furthest distance I can shoot at home) with 10.5 Noveske barrel and the BH 62 DP CC, I had on paper 12.5" of drop at a calculated impact velocity of 1750. Theoretical frag range would be 375 yards at 1500 fps.

(POA not shown, did not dial adjustment, wanted to see actual drop)

The BH 77 TMK has almost identical drop at 12.5", but does better bucking the wind of course. Frag/expansion topped out at roughly 300 yards with the TMK and TSX out of the 10.5, which is still very impressive. Basically the trade off was further expansion range but more wind drift.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 7:30:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#8]
Originally Posted By MRTEX:

View Quote

Why would you want to use a load that fails miserably at meeting the IWBA and FBI criteria when we have loads that do meet the criteria?

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trapsh00ter99] [#9]
Originally Posted By Molon:

Why would you want to use a load that fails miserably at meeting the IWBA and FBI criteria when we have loads that do meet the criteria?

View Quote
Over penetration?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top