Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2024 6:31:13 PM EDT
Good afternoon to all,

I have a Bushmaster 5.56 AR-15 with a 16 inch barrel.  It is stock out of the box, a few hundred rounds through it.
Brass cases feed, fire, eject just fine with no issue.  TULA Steel cases get stuck in the chamber after firing just about every time.  Once the gun gets hot it sticks every time.
Note** I bought the ammo new several years ago to keep "just in case"  jokes on me.
I use a brass cleaning rod to poke out the fired case.  
Should I;
1, wipe off the cases with alcohol or acetone  or some other cleaner just prior to firing and hope for the best
2, try to pawn off the other 500 rounds I purchased,
3 continue with a single shot rifle until the ammo is gone.

any thoughts comments, ideas.

thanks
tom.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Some guns run fine with steel, some don’t.
If you had 10k rounds I’d say find a bbl that eats it.
With that lil bit, sell.

I wouldn’t mess with wiping it down, but you could try cleaning the chamber well.  You do have a chamber brush right?

It might run if you do that. Might not.  I’ve had one AR that didn’t like it, and the rest just ate it up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 7:27:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Normlizer] [#2]
I would try this.  Hellbender's Guide to the Ultimate AR Part 4: The Chamber
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I will begin scrubbing and testing
thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Be aware that the above linked info is for NON-chrome lined chambers.
Polish a chrome lined chamber and you'll ruin the barrel.

As above, some AR's just won't reliably run steel cased ammo.
If yours's won't the best of the options is to not use it in that rifle.  Either sell it or give it away.
Better than possibly damaging a perfectly good rifle attempting to force it to use ammo it was never designed for.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#5]
well I can't afford another rifle, but getting rid of the ammo in question is possible.   the gun runs fine with brass, anny make any weight,  so I guess Ill dump the ammo and keep the gun.  
Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem with steel cases is they don't expand and seal the chamber like brass does.
I found out the hard way on my first AR.
If those are lacquered cases that's another issue on a hot chamber, the lacquer melts, or so I've heard.
I'd sell the ammo or just put it away and save it for another gun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The coating on modern steel ammo is not a problem and is not what causes stuck cases. This myth will never die.

Steel cases don't expand and seal out fouling as well as brass, fouled chambers cause stuck cases.

Chamber dimensions and chamber cleanliness are 2 of the largest factors when running steel cased ammo.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 7:01:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#8]
"This myth will never die".

The people who think that lacquer will melt can't explain how it is that the Soviet bloc fired billions of rounds in full auto weapons with no melted lacquer gumming up chambers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I’d just set it aside for now once the gun has a few thousand on the barrel try it again. I’ve had multiple guns stick steel when new that ran the same ammo fine after few thousand rounds of brass.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 2:21:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brownbomber] [#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
The problem with steel cases is they don't expand and seal the chamber like brass does.
I found out the hard way on my first AR.
If those are lacquered cases that's another issue on a hot chamber, the lacquer melts, or so I've heard.
I'd sell the ammo or just put it away and save it for another gun.
View Quote

This is a myth.  Cold-worked steel cases do not relax as much as brass cases after firing, due to steels higher modulus of elasticity.  The fired cases are larger than the chamber under ambient conditions, and most be yanked out with tremendous force.  The lacquer is a lubricant to aid extraction.  In no way do they fail to obturate.

You can insert a fired steel case into your chamber and let the bolt fly home on it - I would recommend doing this with an AK, because you will probably have to smack the charging handle pretty hard with a deadblow hammer to get it out of there.  A brass case basically just falls out of the chamber, with no perceptible resistance.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]
My only Bushmaster non-chrome lined barrel did this.  The extractor ripped part of the rim off.  Shot the rest of it in other uppers to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By madmac58:
I will begin scrubbing and testing
thanks
View Quote

Take a piece of cleaning rod, brush, add steel wool, solvent and chuck in drill.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 4:43:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy an HK93 or a AK in 5.56.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#15]
My old Bushy did the same with Wolf.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Carbine gas system?  Are you over gassed?

I successfully fixed mine by going to a heavier BCG.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top