Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2024 4:50:30 PM EDT
I have a dozen Blackout X5 that are 0.296" OD but the inserts are 0.308" OD.

I see 9/32 and 5/16 field points.

One is under and the other is over the diameter of both shaft and insert.

Is it worth skimming the 5/16 point and the inserts down to match the shaft or just leave them at 5/16?

Link Posted: 8/12/2024 7:49:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wils91] [#1]
Edit:

5/16 would probably be better.

It doesn't make sense that your insert is a bigger diameter than your arrow shaft. They should be the same. Is it a smooth transition from the shaft to the insert or does the insert have a lip after the carbon?
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 7:54:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bnoji] [#2]
They are the inserts that came in the box. I can only assume they made them to the largest shaft OD they produce so they only need one size of insert.

They kind of flare out a bit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 7:55:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bnoji] [#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Looking at some things it looks like those are Gold Tip inserts and I think that flare is normal on those ones to accept 5/16 field points.

You could always check with gold tip to make sure but I don't know how their customer service is.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wils91:
Looking at some things it looks like those are Gold Tip inserts and I think that flare is normal on those ones to accept 5/16 field points.

You could always check with gold tip to make sure but I don't know how their customer service is.
View Quote

Correct. The arrows are Blackout (BPS/Cabelas house brand) which are made by Gold Tip. They have the GT logo on the nocks. These are the inserts that came with the arrows.

I ordered Gold Tip 5/16" EZ Pull field points that should be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I bet they are made that way so you can run a collar and it acts as a stop so you can’t get the collar too far forward.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top