Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!  I would like to see the front shortened up a bit though.

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Any time frame on when Steyr will send you 20" and 18" barrels?
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Mines supposed to arrive this week!
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the way the mount looks with the A3 scope, looks nice!

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#7]
You don't need that much room.

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Are there detailed pics with the one model that has the rails on the front end? It that attached to the barrel or does it lock on/off easily if you don't want it on at the time.

I appreciate the help.

Mark
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 3:38:39 AM EDT
[#9]
PJ,  

I like that new top rail.  I will have one if you build them.  However I would prefer that is was shorter at the front.  Much like the older version that came with my USR.
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like the way the mount looks with the A3 scope, looks nice!

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/a2a3rail4.jpg

That gun looks well used.

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 5:38:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Anybody catch the Frontline on Syria?

Steyr AUG A1 was in the hands of one of the rebels (I'm guessing from Saudi Arabia?).  I mean in there with the AK47 in the dust and the blood running like a champ third world style was the A1.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 5:07:07 AM EDT
[#14]
As far as being unable to please everyone all the time, it's so confusing it's almost comical!

I read another fellow on another forum grumbling about the new tulip flash hider. Says he wants the brake found on the military A3s, you know, the one's people complained about last time the A3 was around!? I seem to remember people looking for alternatives; on my Sabre A3 the brake is downright annoying, spitting burning powder onto my head from time to time.

Seems that last time around the A3 height rail was ideal, since almost every single modern optic mount is designed with the AR15 picatinny rail height in mind. Now there is a demand for the taller rails that will make optics selections more difficult? I can understand wanting more clearance for charging handle manipulation, but aren't we robbing Peter to pay Paul? For those clamoring for a taller, Austrian style Mil-spec rail, I can foresee a struggle in finding ideal mounting solutions (with respect to height) for Aimpoints, ACOGs, EoTechs, while keeping a solid cheek weld. The HK 416/MR556 guys had lots of "fun" with this. Kudos to Pete for stepping up to fulfill the demand, but I just don't get it?

It's like watching water spiral down the drain...

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, they need 1/2x28mm so that you can put whatever damn break or flash suppressor you want on them.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#16]
The last round bolt catch on the hammer pack is different too.

Hi Pete -

Does this mean the hammer packs between the NATO and standard stocks are different and incompatible?
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Steyr AUG A1 was in the hands of one of the rebels
Saw that Silent. I was eyeing the AK's and that guy with the AUG showed up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well, they need 1/2x28mm so that you can put whatever damn break or flash suppressor you want on them.

...but that wouldn't be Milspec, wouldn't be true to the original; and while we're at it, can we add a CTR or an AFG on it?

To me this is a circus. Steyr making accomodations for optics and mounts already prevalent in the current market makes sense. Making drastic concessions for the statistically outlying crybaby doesn't.

Took me a whopping 2 days of surfing to turn up an AAC Blackout for my AUG. Sure, the niche market has plenty of room for expansion, and just like the last round of bullpup interest, I'm sure the players will rise to the occasion once again.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

...but that wouldn't be Milspec, wouldn't be true to the original; and while we're at it, can we add a CTR or an AFG on it?    

To me this is a circus. Steyr making accomodations for optics and mounts already prevalent in the current market makes sense. Making drastic concessions for the statistically outlying crybaby doesn't.

Took me a whopping 2 days of surfing to turn up an AAC Blackout for my AUG. Sure, the niche market has plenty of room for expansion, and just like the last round of bullpup interest, I'm sure the players will rise to the occasion once again.

I agree. AAC and Surefire both offer muzzle devices compatible with the AUG. What more is needed?
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I agree. AAC and Surefire both offer muzzle devices compatible with the AUG. What more is needed?
[/div]

I am not a AUG purist but if you dont understand the appeal of 1/2x28 then there is nothing more to say.

Rather than two companies muzzle devices you could have hundreds.

Guess it doesnt matter as I think they should come ready to take AR mags too
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]
When will we see the CQC?
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#22]
[/div][div]Took me a whopping 2 days of surfing to turn up an AAC Blackout for my AUG. Sure, the niche market has plenty of room for expansion, and just like the last round of bullpup interest, I'm sure the players will rise to the occasion once again.[/div][/div]

You are definitely correct on this one, there are some fantastic A3 parts, accessories, and upgrades coming shortly.  There is one in particular that is more than an accessory, it revolutionizes the platform in that it will make it practical for suppression.  With all these rail options, you will be able to get just what you want, no compromises.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Pete -

You mentioned the hammer catch on the NATO gun was different. Does that mean the hammer pack in the standard Aug and the NATO Aug are incompatible?

Also, are the CQC's in stock available to order?
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[/div]

I am not a AUG purist but if you dont understand the appeal of 1/2x28 then there is nothing more to say.

Rather than two companies muzzle devices you could have hundreds.

Guess it doesnt matter as I think they should come ready to take AR mags too

I don't need hundreds of options. I have an AAC M42k suppressor and AAC makes an AUG mount. I believe Smitharms also makes a flas hider for the AUG. I suppose I just don't understand the muzzle device du jour phenomenon of late, but then I use an A2 flash hider on all my non-suppressed ARs. Having the option of AAC, Surefire, Steyr tulip, and Steyr muzzle break is more than adequate.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pete -

You mentioned the hammer catch on the NATO gun was different. Does that mean the hammer pack in the standard Aug and the NATO Aug are incompatible?

Also, are the CQC's in stock available to order?

That is correct, the hammer packs are different, The NATO pack has a different last round bolt hold open catch.

The CQCs should start shipping in 2 weeks.

Pete Athens

Fantastic!

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#29]
ADCO will re-thread your AUG bbl for $60 for those who can't stomach the LH metric threads.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
As far as being unable to please everyone all the time, it's so confusing it's almost comical!

I read another fellow on another forum grumbling about the new tulip flash hider. Says he wants the brake found on the military A3s, you know, the one's people complained about last time the A3 was around!? I seem to remember people looking for alternatives; on my Sabre A3 the brake is downright annoying, spitting burning powder onto my head from time to time.

Seems that last time around the A3 height rail was ideal, since almost every single modern optic mount is designed with the AR15 picatinny rail height in mind. Now there is a demand for the taller rails that will make optics selections more difficult? I can understand wanting more clearance for charging handle manipulation, but aren't we robbing Peter to pay Paul? For those clamoring for a taller, Austrian style Mil-spec rail, I can foresee a struggle in finding ideal mounting solutions (with respect to height) for Aimpoints, ACOGs, EoTechs, while keeping a solid cheek weld. The HK 416/MR556 guys had lots of "fun" with this. Kudos to Pete for stepping up to fulfill the demand, but I just don't get it?

It's like watching water spiral down the drain...

The "Military" rail was designed for the military optic; the Steyr Austrian scope that Pete also sells, when he has them in... Otherwise the standard "civilian" / "US" rail is the perfect height for the most common BUIS setups, mounts, etc in the US.

I bought the military rail because I also bought the military scope If I was just going to mount an Aimpoint to it or something, I would have left it as-is.

There's no other reason to swap out the rail...at least not one that I can think of that's a functional reason over a "but we need to collect the whole set!" reason...
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Hello all, To clarify, the Aug A3 comes standard with the "civilian" rail?  Also, can the "CQC" front rail be purchased after the fact and added to the standard A3?
I'm getting ready to let my XM177E2 clone go for one of these.  I wish the initials were available in the Aug green.

Mark
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello all, To clarify, the Aug A3 comes standard with the "civilian" rail?  Also, can the "CQC" front rail be purchased after the fact and added to the standard A3?
I'm getting ready to let my XM177E2 clone go for one of these.  I wish the initials were available in the Aug green.

Mark

Yes. the A3 comes standard with the so called "civilian rail"

The AUG A3 CQC will be sold as a rail kit once all the pending A3  CQC pre orders are all filled.

Very soon there will be green AUG A3s and green CQC A3s!

Pete Athens

I like it! Maybe that'll coincide with me getting the funds together.

Thanks Pete!

Mark

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark

Yes. the A3 comes standard with the so called "civilian rail"

The AUG A3 CQC will be sold as a rail kit once all the pending A3  CQC pre orders are all filled.

Very soon there will be green AUG A3s and green CQC A3s!

Pete Athens

Well Pete, I think I will be calling you once the green AUGs are in.  Man, this is great news!

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Just to make sure, this configuration has a 16" barrel?

ETA: I'm glad to see that your'e back.

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Is there any difference in design or quality between the new models being produced and the older sabre defense models?

Pete,  I think this may be a stupid question, but will your CQC rail be compatible with the older sabre models?

thanks,
DS
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#39]
thanks, Pete.  I'm trying to decide if a CHF barrel is worth an extra 500 bucks (assuming a 2000 dollar price for the new standard AUGs).   I'm leaning towards no.   From what i have read, the AUG is not a tack driver, nor was it meant to be.  And as far as longevity goes, if I'm not shooting FA all the time, will there really be a noticeable difference in life span for the barrel?

i would sure appreciate any arguments towards either side.  I'm really on the fence..

DS
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
thanks, Pete.  I'm trying to decide if a CHF barrel is worth an extra 500 bucks (assuming a 2000 dollar price for the new standard AUGs).   If you can get a Sabre AUG for $1500, that is a steal, buy it before someone else does.

I'm leaning towards no.   From what i have read, the AUG is not a tack driver, nor was it meant to be. The AUG is a 1-2 MOA gun. It's an infantry weapon, what are you expecting out of it?

And as far as longevity goes, if I'm not shooting FA all the time, will there really be a noticeable difference in life span for the barrel? Do you have a registered triggerpack or sear? I have an A1 with over 20k rds on the original barrel. I've noticed no decline in accuracy (I also don't treat the AUG as a benchrest type gun). Even with  sustained full auto fire, you're going to buy a hundred haircuts before you burn out the barrel.

i would sure appreciate any arguments towards either side.  I'm really on the fence..

DS

My opinion is that if you can get the Sabre AUG without FN barrel for $1500, buy it!!!!! That's an amazing price.
But the FN CHF barrels are supposed to be great and are made on Austrian Steyr mandrels making them virtually an Austrian AUG barrel.

Buy the Sabre AUG for 1500, then buy a 20" FN barrel down the road.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:   From what i have read, the AUG is not a tack driver, nor was it meant to be.  

DS

Everybody has a different idea of what is accurate or inaccurate, but I was hearing much the same.   I just have a little over 300 rds through mine- a new A3 with FN barrel- so havent done a lot of accuracy testing and no fine tuning for the particular rifle.  In fact, I only mounted a scope for a short while Friday morning to check three loads.  
But...
I was getting right at 1" with 52 grain Hornady and 69 Sierra bullets at 100.  With 55 FMJ-BTs in my normal (cheap) .223 practice load, it was more like 1.25-1.5".  Remember, this was with the first and only ammo tried with these  bullets, so that was fine with me.  I haven't owned, fired, or even held one of the other recent production AUGs or clones, but was hearing figures more like twice that.  I wouldn't know firsthand, as I said.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Can these be had with a 1:7 twist barrel, or any plans to produce them in a faster twist rate than 1:9?

Thanks,

––Fargo007
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#43]
any issues to be noted with early production sabre Augs?  the one I'm considering has a serial under 50.

thanks all,

DS
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
any issues to be noted with early production sabre Augs?  the one I'm considering has a serial under 50.

thanks all,

DS

This was the only issue i am aware of and not really sure how many were affected. You can always call Steyr for more info.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=297847
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks all,

DS

This was the only issue i am aware of and not really sure how many were affected. You can always call Steyr for more info.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=297847

Well, that and some of the US made magazines early on were defective and no I'm not talking about the shit ones from MSAR.  Steyr had US made mags that had some issues.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#46]
The issue with the magazines were with the springs.  I got replacements from Pete and the mags ran fine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 4:17:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 4:24:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#49]
That CQC Aug is awesome.  Already have a TPD AXR but a real Steyr Aug with that rail system?  Goodness.  Want to save towards a SCAR but boy is that tempting.

Just a tire kicker for now, but I'm glad you all are bringing that model to the market!
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey Pete, glad to see you around the forums.

I've had an AUG A3 that's been pretty hard to charge from the beginning but it's not exhibiting the bushing issue. I might have about 1K through it and it's been awesome in the accuracy department. I've noticed the issue gradually getting better, but does it improve even further or are they just generally tough to charge?

Looking forward to the CQC. Always wanted one of those!

v/r,

Jeff
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top