Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not put my money down on one, but if PTR is doing complete builds and not re-furbishing existing Century rifles and include a 1/7" twist, paddle mag release and FA BCG, I will be left with no other option other then to buy one.  At that price you'd be crazy not to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a working century and sold it. No thanks. Didn't have a paddle release and couldn't take one. Mags were fragile and pricey. Ergos sucked and trigger was heavy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had a qorking century and sold it. No thanks
View Quote
Agreed, but as others have stated, this is being built by PTR, with PTR barrel/finish.

Should be a winner.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just means more left for people who know what they are looking at.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Agreed, but as others have stated, this is being built by PTR, with PTR barrel/finish.

Should be a winner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should be a winner.
Didn't have a paddle release and couldn't take one. Mags were fragile and pricey. Ergos sucked and trigger was heavy.

I really wanted to like it. To me, a Mini-14 is a better rifle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that the receiver was made to where you couldn't install a paddle was the biggest downside for me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I fo'd.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought I had self controlled myself but I just dumped one on a card too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Really tempted to say "F*#k It" and pull the trigger, $500 is a steal IF PTR really DOES/DID rework these guns. I have visions of "My Bud's C93 Won't Run" threads or even worse "I Just Got My Bud's C93 Back From Jeff Walters/PCS And He Got It Running Like A Scolded Dog For $1900" threads. I had a 93 and loved it but loved wanting it to be a 53 more but always wanted a 93 again. I'm sure I'm gonna regret not jumping on this.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Really tempted to say "F*#k It" and pull the trigger, $500 is a steal IF PTR really DOES/DID rework these guns. I have visions of "My Bud's C93 Won't Run" threads or even worse "I Just Got My Bud's C93 Back From Jeff Walters/PCS And He Got It Running Like A Scolded Dog For $1900" threads. I had a 93 and loved it but loved wanting it to be a 53 more but always wanted a 93 again. I'm sure I'm gonna regret not jumping on this.
View Quote
$550 is a good price for a original C93, much less something that PTR builds.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

$550 is a good price for a original C93, much less something that PTR builds.
View Quote
Some guy on the AK files just paid $620.00 for one of these parts kits. He's hating life right now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The fact that the receiver was made to where you couldn't install a paddle was the biggest downside for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This guy was able to install a paddle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Some guy on the AK files just paid $620.00 for one of these parts kits. He's hating life right now.
View Quote
A quick search showed that quite a few on that site are ordering them as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#14]
In on the waiting list.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#15]
PTR wrote me back

Good morning,

We purchased the receivers and parts kits many years ago when century stopped producing them. They will be built in house with our barrels, 1:9 twist. No paddle release will be installed.

Besides that I do not have any more details on the firearm at this time.

Thank You

Edward Salvi
Customer Service Manager
PTR Industries
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
PTR wrote me back

Good morning,

We purchased the receivers and parts kits many years ago when century stopped producing them. They will be built in house with our barrels, 1:9 twist. No paddle release will be installed.

Besides that I do not have any more details on the firearm at this time.

Thank You

Edward Salvi
Customer Service Manager
PTR Industries
View Quote
Good news, bad news I guess. Thanks again for the info.

Good to know that are being built from old stock parts kits and not cannibalized Century rejects.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Had a working century and sold it. No thanks. Didn't have a paddle release and couldn't take one. Mags were fragile and pricey. Ergos sucked and trigger was heavy.
View Quote
Pretty much this.

fun to shoot, but not designed for lefty shooters.....at all

Does Buds know how many rifles they have?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good news, bad news I guess. Thanks again for the info.

Good to know that are being built from old stock parts kits and not cannibalized Century rejects.
View Quote
1/9 twist doesn't bother me for this, I won't be doing precision work with it.

Yeah it would be nice to have a paddle release but the issue with the C93s that required more work was the wonky shelf they used, hopefully PTR uses their shelf that will make it easy to install a paddle after the fact, otherwise I'll just send it to Jeff at Parabellum and have him do it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

1/9 twist doesn't bother me for this, I won't be doing precision work with it.

Yeah it would be nice to have a paddle release but the issue with the C93s that required more work was the wonky shelf they used, hopefully PTR uses their shelf that will make it easy to install a paddle after the fact, otherwise I'll just send it to Jeff at Parabellum and have him do it.
View Quote
I don't consider 1/9 bad, at all, as I shoot 55gr .223/5.56 a majority of the time anyways. If the rifle I receive is good to go I'll either install the mag paddle or tac latch myself sometime down the line. Since these rifles are painted instead of parked it will be easier to touch up that area afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have not put my money down on one, but if PTR is doing complete builds and not re-furbishing existing Century rifles and include a 1/7" twist, paddle mag release and FA BCG, I will be left with no other option other then to buy one.  At that price you'd be crazy not to.
View Quote
My thoughts exactly. My V53 came with a ton of 40 rd mags and I've been looking at something else to use them in.

Edit: guess I should have read the whole thread before responding...oh well
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How much work to turn it into a 53?
View Quote
Re-barrel, cocking tube support, locking piece. Not sure about cocking tube itself. Might be able to shorten it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Re-barrel, cocking tube support, locking piece. Not sure about cocking tube itself. Might be able to shorten it.
View Quote
To be correct you need a HK53 cocking tube also, but the cocking tube support can be utilized. You will also need an HK53 carrier. It's not a cheap conversion.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m not going to rush to buy one yet, since they’re apparently making 800.  But I will be keeping my eyes on this, especially if they have full auto carriers and if the barrels are CL.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Just ran across these on HK Parts

PTR built HK93 barrels

I'd wager these are what they are going to be using

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=16458&idcategory=162
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This guy was able to install a paddle.
Drill, cut iut sections of the gun, etc....
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I really like the platform, especially at the price point. However I do not like the factory magazine prices, especially for anything besides the 40 rounders.
I am aware of the aftermarket options but they just don't have the same quality the factory ones do. I'll pass on these ones, just like I have been passing on them for the past few years since Century started to pump them out. Maybe one day I'll stumble into a deal on a pile of factory magazines and I'll have to change my stance.
View Quote
Be nice if PTR made a G41 clone that uses M16 mags
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really like the platform, especially at the price point. However I do not like the factory magazine prices, especially for anything besides the 40 rounders.
I am aware of the aftermarket options but they just don't have the same quality the factory ones do. I'll pass on these ones, just like I have been passing on them for the past few years since Century started to pump them out. Maybe one day I'll stumble into a deal on a pile of factory magazines and I'll have to change my stance.
Now that is what I'd want!
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Dumb question, but could you rebarrel it for 300 blackout? Would it need anything else besides a new barrel?

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=17392&idcategory=162
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
To be correct you need a HK53 cocking tube also, but the cocking tube support can be utilized. You will also need an HK53 carrier. It's not a cheap conversion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I was replying from the dentist, on my phone. That was just what I could remember off the top of my head.

Why is the carrier different?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
hopefully PTR uses their shelf that will make it easy to install a paddle after the fact, otherwise I'll just send it to Jeff at Parabellum and have him do it.
View Quote
Might want to verify Jeff will do work on these before buying...
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
hopefully PTR uses their shelf that will make it easy to install a paddle after the fact, otherwise I'll just send it to Jeff at Parabellum and have him do it.
Why wouldn't he...
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why wouldn't he...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why wouldn't he...
some make of guns he doesn't work on.

I asked Jeff. He said he does install them, but the Century guns with the solid steel bar across the magwell, requires milling and being welded, and the cost would reflect that. So, mine will probably not get a paddle-mag.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I asked Jeff. He said he does install them, but the Century guns with the solid steel bar across the magwell, requires milling and being welded, and the cost would reflect that. So, mine will probably not get a paddle-mag.
View Quote
I wouldn't automatically assume PTR would use the same shelf that Century did, here's hoping they make it a little easier for us.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 12:48:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wouldn't automatically assume PTR would use the same shelf that Century did, here's hoping they make it a little easier for us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am basing my assumption off of the email reply from PTR that states they bought HK33 kits, and Century receivers. Calling them receivers, implies to me that they're already rolled/welded and have a shelf installed.

ETA: Jeff also said he would install paddles, just cost more than a standard job. To me, not a huge turn-off.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I am basing my assumption off of the email reply from PTR that states they bought HK33 kits, and Century receivers. Calling them receivers, implies to me that they're already rolled/welded and have a shelf installed.

ETA: Jeff also said he would install paddles, just cost more than a standard job. To me, not a huge turn-off.
View Quote
Damn, you're right. I had been going on the assumption they were building these out of flats but all the communication from PTR has explicitly stated receiver.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Damn, you're right. I had been going on the assumption they were building these out of flats but all the communication from PTR has explicitly stated receiver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hence why I'm not interested.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yea I was replying from the dentist, on my phone. That was just what I could remember off the top of my head.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just heard back from PCS and he said you have to use a 53 carrier. I think it's because the cocking tube is shorter so the carrier needs to be shorter as well. HK33/93 carrier is longer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:

View Quote
Okay so this was bugging me so I tapped my guy at PTR again

He said the receivers were bent but nothing has been welded to them and PTR will be doing everything else. I begged him not to use the Century shelf and explained why. If he replies to that I'll post here.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

He said the receivers were bent but nothing has been welded to them and PTR will be doing everything else. I begged him not to use the Century shelf and explained why. If he replies to that I'll post here.
View Quote
Good Job!  Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#40]
What's the cheapest route to get quality magazines for this gun. Thinking of 10-12 total. The surplus steel are $80-90 each, so can't drop close to $1k on just magazines. Promag are cheaper at $12-15 but not sure those are quality go to war magazines.

MKE polymer magazines seem decent at $30-35. Are those able to fit in the C93 with some basic fitting?

A magwell conversion to AR mags is what, $300-350?

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure seem to be spending a lot of time in a thread for a gun you have no interest in.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#41]
This really is a great deal.  I just can't put something that says Century Arms C93 Sporter in my safe.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What's the cheapest route to get quality magazines for this gun. Thinking of 10-12 total. The surplus steel are $80-90 each, so can't drop close to $1k on just magazines. Promag are cheaper at $12-15 but not sure those are quality go to war magazines.

MKE polymer magazines seem decent at $30-35. Are those able to fit in the C93 with some basic fitting?

You sure seem to be spending a lot of time in a thread for a gun you have no interest in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really want a proper 93.... with paddle. Not another Century
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can almost guarantee if they already have those shelves from Century, they will use them. Hopefully not.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I can almost guarantee if they already have those shelves from Century, they will use them. Hopefully not.
View Quote
Yup, that was my thought as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Just a suggestion.  If you don't already have mags for this rifle and wish to own a couple of HK German Steel Mags  I would recommend buying them now before they all disappear.  I picked up a couple off of GB last night and they are already increasing the prices. By the time these rifles are delivered the law of supply/demand will likely double the prices on these things.  I will also be buying a few Promag 20's for the bench.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just a suggestion.  If you don't already have mags for this rifle and wish to own a couple of HK German Steel Mags  I would recommend buying them now before they all disappear.  I picked up a couple off of GB last night and they are already increasing the prices. By the time these rifles are delivered the law of supply/demand will likely double the prices on these things.  I will also be buying a few Promag 20's for the bench.
View Quote
I wonder if you're the guy that bought the mag out from underneath me? I ended up contacting the vendor and they had another that I bought. I thought that German MP5 mags were painful, 80.00 shipped for a German HK93 mag was rough.

I'm of the same mindset, I wanted to get at least one real HK mag and then I'll get a few promags. Hopefully Zenith comes correct and is able to actually import the metal 93 mags they were trying to.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#47]
The mags are what have kept me out of this platform and my 93 still in the safe.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I wonder if you're the guy that bought the mag out from underneath me? I ended up contacting the vendor and they had another that I bought. I thought that German MP5 mags were painful, 80.00 shipped for a German HK93 mag was rough.

I'm of the same mindset, I wanted to get at least one real HK mag and then I'll get a few promags. Hopefully Zenith comes correct and is able to actually import the metal 93 mags they were trying to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possible, but mine were only $65 each. .  I just picked up a few Promag 20rnd for 12.99 each.  The 30's are a couple bucks more and as much as I love to hate on ProMag for the Vepr12 everyone says that this 93 mag just works. I just wanted an HK mag for my rifle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it. Got it the first two times you said it. I think you made your point clear. Like going to a Ford dealership and yelling at them that you want a 911 Turbo and not a Mustang.

If you want a proper 93, go on Armslist/Gunbroker/one of the HK forums. This isn't the thread for you to keep complaining that this doesn't meet your demands.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Possible, but mine were only $65 each. .  I just picked up a few Promag 20rnd for 12.99 each.  The 30's are a couple bucks more and as much as I love to hate on ProMag for the Vepr12 everyone says that this 93 mag just works. I just wanted an HK mag for my rifle.
View Quote
The vendor I bought from was 72.00 + 8.00 shipping

I just checked and they raised the price to 77.00 with $8.00 shipping.

I see other stores used to carry these for $50ish but they are all sold out. I wonder if HK USA is going to import some more.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top